IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

Not gonna lie, I’m gonna miss masks. Now people will know for sure I’m ugly instead of having a strong suspicion.

EDIT: That being said I will never let anyone who was against masks live it down. I can’t think of an easier thing to be asked of us and people were acting like they were being asked to have their dick stapled to their leg.

Edited by The Strangest
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, The Strangest said:

Not gonna lie, I’m gonna miss masks. Now people will know for sure I’m ugly instead of having a strong suspicion.

EDIT: That being said I will never let anyone who was against masks live it down. I can’t think of an easier thing to be asked of us and people were acting like they were being asked to have their dick stapled to their leg.

My hope is that western society now embraces masks during flu/cold season and if you’re sick wear one like they do in Asia.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

The photographer who got sick after shooting the COVID-positive groom said her experiences throughout the pandemic have left her a little depressed. She recalled one conversation from that wedding, before she left the reception. “I have children,” she told a bridesmaid, “What if my children die?” The bridesmaid responded, “I understand, but this is her wedding day.”

Can't make this shite up! Some people are just pieces of floating turd that need to be flushed down and fast. I hope the photographer sues the bridge and groom.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Californication said:

Apparently this beat is easy to work with.

I know this is the COVID thread and not the general politics thread, but Ben and WAP have been brought up and I never pass up a chance to dunk on Mr. Ben “I’ve never gotten my wife wet” Shapiro.

FA7EED41-36A4-46AA-B3F3-8C40C6CE70B5.jpeg

Edited by The Strangest
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, The Strangest said:

FA7EED41-36A4-46AA-B3F3-8C40C6CE70B5.jpeg

I do share his viewpoint. Being in education, usually the more rigid a person is about their titles, the bigger of a douchebag they are. All the best people don't care how you address them and most prefer their first name. Hell, outside of undergrads, idk anyone who call people with PhDs doctor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I do share his viewpoint. Being in education, usually the more rigid a person is about their titles, the bigger of a douchebag they are. All the best people don't care how you address them and most prefer their first name. Hell, outside of undergrads, idk anyone who call people with PhDs doctor. 

In academia it’s considered rude not to use the proper title unless you’re on a friendship basis because of how hard it is to achieve that title. I’m in academia and have the opportunity and I still don’t think I want to attempt it (even though the payoff would be my name being Dr. Strange. Seriously).

It just also blows my mind that Ben of all people is throwing such a fit about it, considering he mentions how he’s married to his wife the doctor in every interaction.

3 hours ago, The Strangest said:

In academia it’s considered rude not to use the proper title unless you’re on a friendship basis because of how hard it is to achieve that title. I’m in academia and have the opportunity and I still don’t think I want to attempt it (even though the payoff would be my name being Dr. Strange. Seriously).

It just also blows my mind that Ben of all people is throwing such a fit about it, considering he mentions how he’s married to his wife the doctor in every interaction.

What do you teach? I just got done with the term and assigned grades to a large introductory course in science... never ceases to amaze me how some students don't give a bleep until they receive a poor grade, then they care!

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

Hey all! I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe, healthy, and sane throughout this crazy year!  I know it's been a challenge, but I want to encourage everyone to hang in there for the next few months --- with the vaccines being distributed now, I'm very very encouraged and hopeful about 2021, BUT, I can't emphasize how important I think it is that everyone continue to be safe and take proper precautions, wear masks, follow health guidelines, etc. 

The way I see it, even with the vaccines coming around soon, we can each make decisions and take action now and over the coming weeks, that will still save lives and prevent further spread.  I've seen firsthand and directly, personally, what this virus is capable of, and I don't want to see anyone else suffer.  If me wearing a mask when out, or holding back on a few events, can prevent that, I'm going to do it and I hope others will do the same as much as is practical and feasible for them.

Around here, it has been spreading quickly, and it is hitting more and more people I know.  Scarier than that, is that our local hospitals are getting quite burdened, and while they are able to maintain the levels right now, if cases increase significantly, they are going to really struggle.  At that point, the effects go far beyond just COVID patients.  I don't say this to fearmonger, or exaggerate things, and yes, most people who get it are just fine, but I do think it's important to still respect the power of the virus and try to minimize spread where we can.

My heart goes out to others here who have lost loved ones - I know how it feels and I hope all of you are doing as well as possible.  And I want to thank everyone here (and beyond) who is working day in and day out on the "front-lines" taking care of people --- and this can be in many different forms.

I know things are annoying, frustrating, challenging, difficult, etc. but I do think there is light at the end of the tunnel now, and I'm really optimistic about the latter half of next year.  Hang in there everyone!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

The amusing thing about is post, from my understanding of it, is that in most of the world, MD's aren't referred to as "doctors" since they translate the local language directly to "physician". And only PhD's (and other terminal academic degrees) are referred to explicitly as "doctor".

But aside from undergrads (and usually grad students, at least when I was there) referring to their professors as "dr." - it's definitely a thing with any government labs or government contractor. Honorifics are a big deal in that space.

And personally, I have a lot of MDs and PhDs in my family, so I freely admit that my perception of what "most people" think on the issue is skewed -- but I have never heard any of those MDs give any PhD-holder crap about using their formal title. So Ben Shapiro would probably get a different opinion on the issue from his supposed physician-wife than what he's pushing in his tweet.

10 hours ago, The Strangest said:

Go by Dr. Strange at every possible opportunity and be sure to take up some other eccentric behaviors while you're at it. It will be memorable for everyone and bring some levity to the world.

Not going by Dr. Strange would be almost as big of a missed opportunity as being able to go by Dr. Doom and not going into a name-relevant field 😛

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

The amusing thing about is post, from my understanding of it, is that in most of the world, MD's aren't referred to as "doctors" since they translate the local language directly to "physician". And only PhD's (and other terminal academic degrees) are referred to explicitly as "doctor".

TIL

Anecdotally, all the people I know, am acquainted with and study under who have a PdD in education go by their first name, and explicitly request to be called by their first name. Not Dr Lastname or Mrs. Anything. 

The only people I've known to do otherwise we're clout chasers who got their degree specifically to gain status. Which is Ben's argument is the Biden said she specifically got the PhD to be able to be address as Dr Biden. Those are her words. Lol she wanted the mail to say Senator and Dr Biden. 

Not that I would expect anyone to listen to his show but I heard the segment and that was the context for his statement. Also, he went on to say he basically doesn't give clout to any liberal arts degree, no matter how significant, even his own Harvard law degree, after seeing what his wife went through to become a MD.

2 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Anecdotally, all the people I know, am acquainted with and study under who have a PdD in education go by their first name, and explicitly request to be called by their first name. Not Dr Lastname or Mrs. Anything. 

It's obviously different when you're all colleagues in the same environment. 

And I don't doubt that it's falling out of fashion to use the title, even in what used to be more formal settings.

Interesting to have the additional background of how Jill Biden's title came up -- though it doesn't support Ben Shapiro's level of snark, IMO.  And it certainly doesn't make the less-educated masses correct in taking the opportunity to act like they know anything about the subject of who can acceptably be referred to as "doctor". 

Edited by arch_8ngel

11 hours ago, avatar! said:

What do you teach? I just got done with the term and assigned grades to a large introductory course in science... never ceases to amaze me how some students don't give a bleep until they receive a poor grade, then they care!

I’m actually a researcher, not a professor, although I’ve stood in for professors in their classes before. Professor is definitely a possibility but it’s such a large time commitment and you spend more time writing grants than doing stuff in the lab, the latter being what I’d prefer to do at the moment.

Just wanted to chime in and let everyone know I got the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. As expected, I had zero side effects and feel great. I will receive the second dose in about three weeks.

According to all available data, the vaccine  is incredibly safe and very effective. I encourage you all to get it as soon as it is available to you. You CANNOT get coronavirus from the vaccine. I'm happy to answer questions about the vaccine if anyone has any concerns at all.

• Like 10

Administrator · Posted
23 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Just wanted to chime in and let everyone know I got the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. As expected, I had zero side effects and feel great. I will receive the second dose in about three weeks.

According to all available data, the vaccine  is incredibly safe and very effective. I encourage you all to get it as soon as it is available to you. You CANNOT get coronavirus from the vaccine. I'm happy to answer questions about the vaccine if anyone has any concerns at all.

Thank you for sharing this message.  It is so important right now.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad actors out there intentionally spreading lies and misinformation about the vaccines, and it is incredibly sad and unfortunate.  I can understand some of the skepticism and concerns but if my doctor, other doctors, and so many more are accepting them as safe, and they have the potential to truly turn the corner on this horrible virus, I'm willing to take the risk.  

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad actors out there intentionally spreading lies and misinformation about the vaccines, and it is incredibly sad and unfortunate. 

Yeah, I saw on one forum that people were shocked that Mike Pence "allowed himself to get vaccinated." They even thought it was fake news until someone linked the video.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1