IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

On 11/17/2020 at 5:33 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

I see people bring this up all the time and I respond similarly.

The fact is that between the 4 vaccine candidates, nearly 200k ppl have been vaccinated for several months and holding out a new months after the vaccine is available isn't going to prove to be a stroke of genius rather than prolonging the enviable.

Q3 is when the Johnson and Johnson vaccine is suppose to come to market which doesn't need to be stored at ridiculously cold temperatures like the two that are ready now. It may be the nail in the coffin as it may even be a Walgreens and CVS. 

The director of the Oxford Vaccine was asked about herd immunity and his response was here immunity will be achieved, not through infection but through vaccination. 

My genuine hope is that when the vaccine gets approved big names receive it in film. I would LOVE to see Biden and Trump both getting the vaccine. I think it would put a lot of doubt to rest. 

I’ll take the J&J vaccine if required. I’m not interested in the mRNA vaccines. I am a bit nervous to take it though. I stopped taking the flu shot after an allergic reaction two years ago. I was experiencing phlegm, coughing, and throat swelling within a few hours of the shot. I had to take Benadryl to calm it down. I had a reaction many years ago too, so I normally didn’t take it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

I’ll take the J&J vaccine if required. I’m not interested in the mRNA vaccines. I am a bit nervous to take it though. I stopped taking the flu shot after an allergic reaction two years ago. I was experiencing phlegm, coughing, and throat swelling within a few hours of the shot. I had to take Benadryl to calm it down. I had a reaction many years ago too, so I normally didn’t take it.

The flu shot of egg based iirc. Do you have any allergies to eggs?

8 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

The flu shot of egg based iirc. Do you have any allergies to eggs?

I do not have egg or any other food allergies allergies. I do have environmental allergies.

You are right though, it is egg based and I don’t give it to my kids who have egg allergies although they say it is safe if you have egg allergies. Even my allergist said he’d be cautious with the toddlers.

3 hours ago, Link said:

The driver is behind a shield, though, right? 

It’s a small plexiglass door that is open on the top and bottom. Regardless of that, he’s still supposed to be masked up per our state regulations. Plus he was having a very friends conversation with that guy standing there, who was also maskless and standing in the way of people trying to get on the bus.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Richardhead said:

that guy standing there, who was also maskless and standing in the way of people trying to get on the bus.

I was wondering what his deal was. Yeah, fuck that guy. 

I still think the driver’s aerosolized breath is kept away from others by the door. We have the same doors here and they’re not new. Although it wouldn’t hurt him to lead by example and I wish more people in the public eye would.

Not sure if this will make the news overseas so I thought I would share here.

My state of Victoria has now gone 28 days without community mystery cases, which was our epidemiologists classification for "elimination" of the virus in the community. It was looking very scary for a bit there but we did a hard lockdown for almost three months and have now "eliminated" the virus (I'm sure some cases will pop up here and there).

I think this proves that lockdowns and masks work if you implement them before things get out of control and hopefully if this happens again, other countries will look to countries like Australia, NZ, Taiwan etc.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/victoria-eliminates-coronavirus-after-28-days-without-a-new-case-20201127-p56iev.html#comments

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Californication said:

Ya, Idk, there are cases where people have already caught it twice.

There are always outliers* of one stripe or another in any disease occurrence - so far the reports I have seen about reinfections are not of any statistical significance - which you would expect in cases of outliers. 

*For example in every epidemic there are always small numbers of people who are naturally immune to it  - this was true even in the case of HIV (as evidenced by the case of some people whose ancestors lived in the English village of Eyam). 

2 hours ago, Tabonga said:

There are always outliers* of one stripe or another in any disease occurrence - so far the reports I have seen about reinfections are not of any statistical significance - which you would expect in cases of outliers. 

*For example in every epidemic there are always small numbers of people who are naturally immune to it  - this was true even in the case of HIV (as evidenced by the case of some people whose ancestors lived in the English village of Eyam). 

Ya, they might definetly be outliers. I think it's still too early to tell.

20 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

? Ive read 4 people out of 53 million cases. Sounds pretty much like not the case at all

Right, but there are other variables. 

Exm. People from China, Vietnam, Germany, etc. where they have a better handle on the virus are less likely to come into contact with the virus a second time. 

And the range of when people caught it is all over the place. Most of these didn't begin in March. 

Edited by Californication

19 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

? Ive read 4 people out of 53 million cases. Sounds pretty much like not the case at all

That's either false or all of them and a few more have been in my ER in the last 9 months.  It's low for sure, but definitely not that low.

Edit:. I'm saying whoever published that was false, not you for the record.

Edited by Doctornick
  • Like 2

This is why flying is a terrible idea, because of shite people like this. Pure shite...

I honestly hope the virus cripples them. They deserve it.

185345954_Screenshotfrom2020-12-0322-13-05.png.71c775ca0b7253c8d45592f39b574849.png

https://www.fox10tv.com/video_magazines/people/couple-arrested-after-boarding-flight-to-hawaii-despite-testing-positive-for-covid-19-authorities/video_636ca5e9-8e8f-57cf-9c45-c9676c9edb6a.html

• Angry 1

Editorials Team · Posted
On 11/26/2020 at 2:38 PM, Shmup said:

Not sure if this will make the news overseas so I thought I would share here.

My state of Victoria has now gone 28 days without community mystery cases, which was our epidemiologists classification for "elimination" of the virus in the community. It was looking very scary for a bit there but we did a hard lockdown for almost three months and have now "eliminated" the virus (I'm sure some cases will pop up here and there).

I think this proves that lockdowns and masks work if you implement them before things get out of control and hopefully if this happens again, other countries will look to countries like Australia, NZ, Taiwan etc.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/victoria-eliminates-coronavirus-after-28-days-without-a-new-case-20201127-p56iev.html#comments

Whereas here in America I live in one of the biggest, least-populated states in the country, and we have 1000+ cases a day.  Hell, two people encircling me at work had it in the last month.

• Sad 2

Very thankful to live in Atlantic Canada. Although community spread has popped up a few times in the last month we've locally stomped it out twice by testing, tracing, and following health directives without too many restrictions. A different beast compared to a major metropolitan area though, especially ones that fell behind initially.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tenjikuronin said:

spacer.png

The big problem with that response it that it assumes everyone in the U.S. (and by inference the whole world I imagine) will get this beastie.

The worst pan epidemic that we have anything resembling good records on was the 1918 epidemic - while the U.S. had an apparent death rate of 2.6%* (.63%* of the total  US population at the time) of those infected the world figures were even more bleak - somewhere between 5 to 10%* of those infected (probably a third* of the world's population at the time).

That flu also had harsh long lasting side effects on survivors - particularly younger (even in utero) victims.  Also since the disease tended to target otherwise young and healthy segments of the population its effects on society were more magnified than the numbers would otherwise suggest.

*The numbers have to be taken with a small grain of salt - but they are far more accurate than say those for the Bubonic Plague  - even though those periodic occurrences were far more devastating both in percentage of deaths and effect on society (some historians credit that disease with the demise of the feudal system - so I guess every cloud has a silver lining) than anything in modern times.

Edited by Tabonga

679735491_Screenshotfrom2020-12-1317-54-04.thumb.png.977bcdb95b5599859aa32f7e1f469bc8.png

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/united-airlines-bans-family-indefinitely-200051178.html

I don't know if banning the family was the right move (I bet they'll "fix" that soon enough because of the publicity) but I do think booting them off the flight was the right decision. Just following CDC guidelines.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

Getting my vaccine Friday! I hope the side effects include enlargement of the penis. I have so many co workers who aren't getting the vaccine I wish I could take theirs too. Give me a hundred shots of that shit. 

If you're in a position where you're allowed to get it this early, I'm surprised your co-workers aren't being compelled to get it on threat of firing.

• Like 1