IGNORED

Are early console adopters being screwed over?

cartman

Editorials Team · Posted

what if the Slim were released first, and then 3 years later the tech becomes available and cheap to make a version that runs cooler, cheaper, and the size of a DVD case? Should they ignore it? Go ahead and release the new generation, screwing even more consumers?

On 1/24/2020 at 3:24 PM, cartman said:

If i assume a practise like this ofcourse the same would go for all companies so it would be equal.

Except for your example of the PS2, Microsoft didn't have an Xbox prior to 1999, nor did it have any significant revision until the 360 several years later (which is a later generation anyway.) So there was no sense in Microsoft waiting for 2004. And Sony wouldn't want to wait nine years after the PS1 when the market was heating up in 2000.

When Nintendo was still selling its NES, the Genesis and Turbografx-16 were released in 1988/89. They had to wait another year or so for the SFC/SNES hardware to even be ready for the 1990/1991 release, and Sega stole a significant chunk of marketshare (NEC probably would have, too, if the Turbo had a better launch.)

The companies aren't lock step in releases. Nintendo is usually a year behind or a year ahead. It makes no sense to wait to see what other companies are doing when you have hardware ready to go now.

Edited by Tulpa

26 minutes ago, Splain said:

what if the Slim were released first, and then 3 years later the tech becomes available and cheap to make a version that runs cooler, cheaper, and the size of a DVD case? Should they ignore it? Go ahead and release the new generation, screwing even more consumers?

Aren't they doing that already? I'm sure there could've been more version with improvements but they are drawing the line somewhere. Altough the 3DS gen had variations released so they seem to have drawn it nowhere in that case. 

I actually think the exact opposite as I find people who buy the upgraded technology are usually the suckers. Is there REALLY a need for PS4 pro for most people? No. It costs more and was released well after the fact of the original. It is what it is. I think the same about the Switch. Everyone was blowing their load over the system when you could buy a used Wii U and 99% of the games for a fraction of the price. I wasn't upset that there was a new console that was superior but still had a lot of the same stuff during the first year. I barely play my Switch now and could care less if they release a pro model. 

I play guitar and they released a V.2 of the amp of the one I own and people went fucking ape shit. I don't get it. You've owned the amp for some time, for a cheaper price point, and the newer one offers nothing ground breaking that the first version can't do. It may subjectively have slightly better sound.  This is true with almost all game consoles. 

If you happen to buy the older version for full retail like a week before the release of a newer version I could see some frustration but usually I don't see the issue at all. 

Ha ha ha.. while all you suckers were paying hundreds of dollars for an NES, and hundreds, maybe even thousands for a modest NES library in the late 1980s, I waited patiently and didn’t play NES until the early 2000’s and got to play NES for pennies on the dollar. Ha ha ha.

Hopefully I can live another 20 years so I can rip you all a second time with the Nintendo Switch! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is this anything like how people are advised not to buy cars brand new and instead give it a year or two (or if the car just had a major "next gen" sort of model change) for the kinks to be found and worked out?

I haven't had any real interest in getting a console right away since the GC in 2001.  I mean I've got more than my work cut out for me just getting caught up on 3rd-6th gen stuff...I mean what's the rush into 7th-8th gen?

2 hours ago, Estil said:

Is this anything like how people are advised not to buy cars brand new and instead give it a year or two (or if the car just had a major "next gen" sort of model change) for the kinks to be found and worked out?

No, there's nothing generally wrong with first year consoles (aside from the RROD on the 360s), it's just that the newer ones can exploit more demanding aspects of games, and some other benefits.

Time is money. You can afford to wait for the next big thing and not play what is available, go for it. But you'll be waiting forever as time doesn't stand still.

Do youself a favor, next time the new Smash Bros or Zelda comes out, don't buy it. Wait until you're 100 percent sure all DLC is released and it's a complete game. I'm sure you won't writhe in agony at all.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Estil said:

I haven't had any real interest in getting a console right away since the GC in 2001.  I mean I've got more than my work cut out for me just getting caught up on 3rd-6th gen stuff...I mean what's the rush into 7th-8th gen?

It's well known you shouldn't buy brand new cars irrespective of this thread's topic 

4 hours ago, cartman said:

It's well known you shouldn't buy brand new cars irrespective of this thread's topic 

With that same mindset, maybe you shouldn't buy brand new consoles.

I never understood the hype for brand new technology. But if you're one of the people who do get the hype, I imagine being a first adopter is worth it for that in itself.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sumez said:

With that same mindset, maybe you shouldn't buy brand new consoles.

I never understood the hype for brand new technology. But if you're one of the people who do get the hype, I imagine being a first adopter is worth it for that in itself.

The second-hand value plummets when someone wants to sell off a car even if he barely used it 1 fucking week + at car dealerships you're paying this guys locale and his salary so every fucking thing he sells he has bumped up the price and what you're actually paying for is all the shining cars standing there in the inventory all shiny and a guy who's "in the know" being friendly to you. What you're buying is an imagined sense of authority that the whole thing instills in you but in reality you ain't getting worth shit of substance.

Administrator · Posted

Back in March, I wanted some apples. In fact, I wanted some apples right then, so I could make a pie. A nice warm pie to warm me on that cold March day. It was March, so apples were $1 each as they are out of season. 

Last October my wife picked up some oranges, which only cost $0.8 each. 

Did the fruit store screw me over? Who do I sue? 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, cartman said:

At the risk of derailing a thread that was pretty ridiculous to begin with, this statement is also false.  

Whether or not buying a new car is a good idea or not is completely dependent on the situation.  It's usually a pretty good idea to buy new over used on cars or trucks with good resale value such as Hondas or full size heavy duty trucks.  These vehicles tend to sell for only a few thousand less than then brand new counterparts even when they are 18 months old with 20k miles.  It would be foolish to buy used in that situation.  

Again, I'm not saying that someone should always buy new.  But they should do their research to see what is the best deal in their current situation.  It's always going to be a case by case basis.  

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

At the risk of derailing a thread that was pretty ridiculous to begin with, this statement is also false.  

Whether or not buying a new car is a good idea or not is completely dependent on the situation.  It's usually a pretty good idea to buy new over used on cars or trucks with good resale value such as Hondas or full size heavy duty trucks.  These vehicles tend to sell for only a few thousand less than then brand new counterparts even when they are 18 months old with 20k miles.  It would be foolish to buy used in that situation.  

Again, I'm not saying that someone should always buy new.  But they should do their research to see what is the best deal in their current situation.  It's always going to be a case by case basis.  

Unless it's something that might become rare and sought after that's the general rule, that the value plummets.

4 hours ago, Gloves said:

Back in March, I wanted some apples. In fact, I wanted some apples right then, so I could make a pie. A nice warm pie to warm me on that cold March day. It was March, so apples were $1 each as they are out of season. 

Last October my wife picked up some oranges, which only cost $0.8 each. 

Did the fruit store screw me over? Who do I sue? 

So what you're asking everyone here is, what do you have to say about them apples? 😄 

2 hours ago, cartman said:

Unless it's something that might become rare and sought after that's the general rule, that the value plummets.

If you think all cars and trucks depreciate evenly then you know nothing about the automobile industry.  Re-read what I said in my last post.  If you want to discus further, feel free to make a thread about car buying.  I'll talk about cars all day long and enjoy it almost as much as talking about video games.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

If you think all cars and trucks depreciate evenly then you know nothing about the automobile industry.  Re-read what I said in my last post.  If you want to discus further, feel free to make a thread about car buying.  I'll talk about cars all day long and enjoy it almost as much as talking about video games.  

No i couldn't really be bothered creating a thread just around car pricing (not in this specific direction atleast). It was more of a sidenote type of thing.

This thread topic is similar to posing the question “are CIB collectors screwed over compared with loose cart collectors?” After all, you’re getting the same game experience right?

Well actually, there is a bit of false logic in the above. Yes, you’re getting exactly the same gaming experience at a fraction of the cost. However, with the extra manual and box you have a better display showcase as well as more things to fondle with. You’d have to pay more cash for the CIBs but there are subtle bonuses that you can’t do with a loose cart.

So going back to the topic of early console adopting. Yes, you’re gonna have to pay more, but you feed your gaming addiction for the newer gen games earlier rather than having to starve and go in withdrawal for 1-2 years. Obviously if you don’t feel the need to spend the big bucks then there’s always the option of...waiting. No one is really better off buying early or buying late, it’s really all a matter of perspective and circumstances.

2 minutes ago, cartman said:

Why were they missing out?

The game's amazing. Being able to talk about it with my peers as I was playing it made it all the better. Talking about the secrets that we uncovered and comparing notes brought my back to my childhood when I used to do the same thing with the first Legend of Zelda when I was in first grade. 

But if saving a few bucks was somebody's goal, that's cool too. I typically do that with new systems. I waited until I could buy a ps3 for $50 before I finally got one. I made an exception for when a game came out I truly needed to play asap.