IGNORED

Top 5 retro gaming conventions

Ted Playa

1 hour ago, jonebone said:

PRGE, Midwest Gaming Classic and Too Many Games are the 3 that come to mind for me. 

This is what I was thinking. I've never been to Too Many Games but a friend told me that they didn't have much going on in the way of retro gaming. 

Any others worth mentioning?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 6:26 AM, jonebone said:

PRGE, Midwest Gaming Classic and Too Many Games are the 3 that come to mind for me. 

Yeah these are the 3 'big ones' I believe.  CCAG (Classic Console and Arcade Gaming) is a very popular Cleveland area one.  You can't even get a vending table unless you know someone, they sell out instantly.

On 1/23/2020 at 6:26 AM, jonebone said:

Those are definitely the "big three" (although I would put Midwest first these days).   Other good sized ones are A Video Game Con in New Jersey and RetroGameCon in Syracuse.

CCAG is an awesome show, but it doesn't quite have the side stuff to do that those others do, and not quite as many vendors.

• 2 weeks later...

MAGFest is a great con, but as someone who has been going for many years now I would say it's no longer top tier for collectors. There are usually only 2-4 booths for retro games and they are mobbed within a few hours of the vendor hall opening. That said, it's an amazing con for retro gamers with the arcade, the console hall, events, etc. I would say go to play games, not to find your grail 😉

On 2/6/2020 at 10:27 PM, captmorgandrinker said:

Those are definitely the "big three" (although I would put Midwest first these days).   Other good sized ones are A Video Game Con in New Jersey and RetroGameCon in Syracuse.

CCAG is an awesome show, but it doesn't quite have the side stuff to do that those others do, and not quite as many vendors.

You think Midwest is larger than PRGE? Or just better. A lot has to do with what is available outside the convention. Hotels, food, bars...ect. PRGE is great, but I will admit they need more dining choices within walking distance. I was not planning on hitting Midwest even though I am close...but if you say it is worth it, maybe I will make the trip.

8 hours ago, Benihana said:

You think Midwest is larger than PRGE? Or just better. A lot has to do with what is available outside the convention. Hotels, food, bars...ect. PRGE is great, but I will admit they need more dining choices within walking distance. I was not planning on hitting Midwest even though I am close...but if you say it is worth it, maybe I will make the trip.

How close are you these days?  It has the size, the activities, and good food within walking distance since they moved it to the Wisconsin Center.

I've been really missing Super! BitCon. It seemed to be doing well, but I suppose the storm / tornado around the weekend of the last one (2017) really did its work on the financials. It was interesting and fun listening to Marc Summers and Phil Moore that year, though it had to be hosted at Main Event instead of the Expo Center.

I think my wife and I will be attending Let's Play this year.

On 2/19/2020 at 6:09 PM, captmorgandrinker said:

How close are you these days?  It has the size, the activities, and good food within walking distance since they moved it to the Wisconsin Center.

accourding to the goog's I am exactly 200 miles and 3 hrs 30 minutes away. Did not know is was north of Kenosha...thought it was between Chicago and Kenosha...hmm...to far for a day trip for sure.

1 hour ago, Benihana said:

accourding to the goog's I am exactly 200 miles and 3 hrs 30 minutes away. Did not know is was north of Kenosha...thought it was between Chicago and Kenosha...hmm...to far for a day trip for sure.

Luckily there's three different hotels attached!

On 2/20/2020 at 4:27 PM, Hmgbking said:

I've been really missing Super! BitCon. It seemed to be doing well, but I suppose the storm / tornado around the weekend of the last one (2017) really did its work on the financials. It was interesting and fun listening to Marc Summers and Phil Moore that year, though it had to be hosted at Main Event instead of the Expo Center.

I think my wife and I will be attending Let's Play this year.

Same. There aren't too many expos around my area (Arkansas). I made it to BitCon 2016 which was great. It was my first video game expo. We made it to 2017 but it was super empty because of the storm. I'm sure a lot of people lost money on that one. (Event holder, dealers). Their Facebook page said they were trying to get something going again, albeit a lot smaller than normal, but it's been silent for over a year now.