Arcade Joysticks

JamesRobot

Which arcade joystick do you prefer?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Bat or ball?

• Bat
    • Ball

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

I'm assuming you're not talking original dedicated Mortal Kombat cabinets? Because those have some of the worst controls I've tried. Not to mention a completely baffling button layout:

4 hours ago, ookii_risu said:

Mainly was talking about the fight stick that came with... was it 9? And I think the controls for MK2 were tight. The button layout is the best. Block button rules! 

spacer.png

I presume you mean this one?  I have this as well and honestly this thing kills my hand on the button layout lmao I would much prefer an astro city layout, but the stick on it is pretty good even if it clicks loud. 

6 hours ago, Sumez said:

Bat top isn't getting as many votes as ballz, but I'm still curious.

People who voted bat top, how do you grip your stick?

Man I'm surprised this thread has been able to stay clear of innuendo so far.

from the left side towards the top or a bit over the top but still hanging off to the left. For some moves it's a loose grip where I smack it to the right with my hand and back to the left with my thumb. I tend to be a bit more aggressive on a bat top since the dead zone is bigger.

2 hours ago, MuNKeY said:

spacer.png

I presume you mean this one?  I have this as well and honestly this thing kills my hand on the button layout lmao I would much prefer an astro city layout, but the stick on it is pretty good even if it clicks loud. 

Yep, that's the one. I'm just used to that layout, I guess. Haven't used the stick in a long while, though, got it in storage.

I've thought more on it, and read the comments.  I can't really see what the difference is other than personal taste.  One isn't better than the other, because both on the inside are either a set of (generally) 4 or 8 microswitches. They're like over glorified d-pads on an old Nintendo or whatever, or even better yet the NES/SNES Advantage and others.  It's either ON, or OFF, the switch clicks or doesn't.  It's not analog, you won't vary your speed or angle moving it around all coolly or anything.  I guess that's why I said I won't vote, they really don't make a difference unless there's an issue with a certain person who just happens to physically need or desire one of them.

Trust me, there are a TON of tiny differences in these joysticks that make a pretty big difference overall. The spring, the travel or activation distances, the restrictor gates, or the friction of the pivot, the feedback of the switches, the build quality and reliability of the stick, and even the length of the shaft. There are a lot of really shitty joysticks out there, and there are also some purposes where certain sticks are preferable over others. (for example I mostly prefer the more sensitive Seimitsu variants, but for TGM I need the Sanwa diamond shaped 4-way gate)

That said, the bat-top and ball-top difference isn't too important, and most modern joysticks will support both. If your preferred grip works with a bat-top, there's really no disadvantage, but the ball-top allows a bit more "dynamic". 🙂 

Edited by Sumez

1 minute ago, Sumez said:

That said, the bat-top and ball-top difference isn't too important, and most modern joysticks will support both. If your preferred grip works with a bat-top, there's really no disadvantage, but the ball-top allows a bit more "dynamic". 🙂 

That's more if you only mean which top is screwed onto the shaft and not the joystick mechanism itself. In that regard, it's just a grip. But in the way that it's commonly used, Happ sticks vs the Japanese counterparts of Sanwa and Seimitsu, then it's a big difference as the Happs have a much longer throw, bigger dead zone, and heavier spring.

Well obviously. In that case it's not just a matter of preference either, but a question of religion (including a few pretty misguided religions :P). Happ, Sanwa, and Seimitsu is a completely different distinction though. There are many different variants of ball-top joysticks from all decades, and just as many variants of bat top.

In general, bat-top joysticks do tend to be a lot shittier, but that's usually just because they were made by manufacturers who really didn't care - not because of the bat-top. 😛

• Like 1