Arcade Joysticks

JamesRobot

Which arcade joystick do you prefer?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Bat or ball?

• Bat
    • Ball

50 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

I'm likely gonna mod my Asteroids Arcade1Up here soon and I'm on the fence about the setup.  Leaning towards ball top.

I foresee a lot of 2 player fight games getting played.  Any argument one way or the other for fighters?

I would say go ball top as the Sanwas and Seimitsus have that quick response that makes them a top choice among the competitive crowd. The only reason to go bat top, and I mean like a Happ bat top since thats what I find most people tend to mean by that due to those being in pretty much all of the American arcades, is being used to it. For example, on a bat top, when playing fighting games I tend to do double taps or fast back and forth motions by more or less smacking the stick from the side. The Sanwa style ball tops have a much shorter throw and feel much more clicky feel, vs the springy feel of a bat top and as a result, people tend to grip and use them differently.

Edited by MachineCode
  • Like 1

I went with bat top over ball top since in my modded Arcade1Up (once my control panel gets here) I'll be playing all the way up to PS2 games, as I have an old gaming laptop in it instead of the typical Pi 3B+, and for longer play sessions I find bat tops more comfortable on my hands than ball tops.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chromableedstudios said:

Bat or ball is aright, long as I've got an octagonal gate. Square gates just feel werid?🤔

They do but they make it possible to do a 4-way / 8-way switch. Nothing worse than trying to play pacman on someones rig that didn't know the difference and have him not move right due to hitting 2 directions at once.

Honestly, the only "bat tops" that I can recall from my arcade days were fighters, and later ones at that.  For folks saying they grew up "primarily" with bat tops, what games were you playing?  Virtually everything I played as a kid and up into my teens was a ball top, but then again, I'm now over 40 and started with early/classic stuff like Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Centipede, etc. and stopped specifically heading to the arcade once fighters basically took over (1994-1995 or so?) and pushed just about everything else out save a couple of skee-ball machines, maybe a pinball machine in the back corner and a bunch of ticket machines.  This goes for both my original hometown as well as where we moved to when I was little, both PA (and southern NY when we went camping) and VA, although both are on the east coast.

Edited by darkchylde28

37 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Honestly, the only "bat tops" that I can recall from my arcade days were fighters, and later ones at that.  For folks saying they grew up "primarily" with bat tops, what games were you playing?  Virtually everything I played as a kid and up into my teens was a ball top, but then again, I'm no over 40 and started with early/classic stuff like Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Centipede, etc. and stopped specifically heading to the arcade once fighters basically took over (1994-1995 or so?) and pushed just about everything else out save a couple of skee-ball machines, maybe a pinball machine in the back corner and a bunch of ticket machines.  This goes for both my original hometown as well as where we moved to when I was little, both PA (and southern NY when we went camping) and VA, although both are on the east coast.

Folks that grew up with primarily bat were playing what pushed you away. street fighter and mk

I like the feel of the ball but i don’t like joysticks for shooters so I got rid of my mk fight stick. I thought a short throw ball would allow me to control the spaceship more precisely but that’s not how it works once the stick clicks your heading that direction at an already determined speed so I might as well use a d-pad.

Honestly I don't care so I won't vote.  I don't feel either has a benefit.  It's a personal issue if you can't wrap your fingers around one or the other well enough.  My Neo-Geo comes with its stock bat type, yet the modern iCade cocktail has a bair of balls simulating a Ms Pac-Man cpo space.

2 hours ago, MachineCode said:

Thats any arcade joystick really as they just trigger microswitches on and off.

Ya 😕 that’s what I found out. I had a sanwa. It was nice but like you say it just like hitting a d-pad. Even if you had a pressure sensitive stick I don’t know if any game is programmed with that in mind? 

Edited by skinnygrinny

3 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

once the stick clicks your heading that direction at an already determined speed so I might as well use a d-pad.

The difference is that with a cross-shaped D-pad, diagonals don't really feel intuitive. It's literally pressing two individual directions at the same time, rather than holding one specific direction. With a joystick, going diagonally feels "the same" as going in a cardinal direction.

It's a little better with a "round" D-pad (Sega style), but in general I just play shooters much worse on a D-pad. Hell even the famously shitty NES Advantage is preferable to me. 🙂 I'm sure it's possible to adapt, though.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

Ya 😕 that’s what I found out. I had a sanwa. It was nice but like you say it just like hitting a d-pad. Even if you had a pressure sensitive stick I don’t know if any game is programmed with that in mind? 

You had games like Blitz that used the 49 way stick so there were 3 distance zones per direction. Other than that, Space Harrier used a true analog flight stick. Star Wars Arcade (80s) used an analog yoke and the 90s ones used analog sticks.

• Like 1

The main benefit of a joystick for shooters is freeing up your right hand. Sometimes with console shooters I have to play with a claw grip because you don't want to for example lift up the shoot button while pressing a charge attack or bomb. That's why I can't go d-pad.

Ball top all the way though, and clicky Seimitsu sticks please.