Sign in to follow this  
1upped

Video game grading in general

Interesting to see how much our beloved hobby has changed in the past decade.  As the title above states, lately, with the addition of WATA and Heritage/Certified Link auctions, along with what has become regular CIB grading, it finally seems to be here to stay (the grading portion).  I remember for years the debate on grading, all of the back and forth between keeping them raw, or preserving them (even opening them to play)....the subjective nature of the grading itself.....yet, despite all of the back and forth.....it appears as though it has become the newest grading normality (CGC, PSA, VGA, WATA etc.) and is more active than ever.  And for the record, although I love the display look of graded games, I still have a few hundred raw and enjoy those just as much.  Grading is here to stay.....the tidal wave has been upon us for some time....and if nothing else....it has changed the hobby drastically.

I think keeping things raw and getting things graded will eventually strike a right balance. I feel there is still much more to learn and the market is still undergoing maturation. 

I’m overall excited to see that the collecting scene has blossomed to where it is now. Though I have reservations in that too many are jumping in blindly with a profiteering motive (money incentive) rather than the ones doing it for passion of the hobby.

We’re seeing some value gains, but what will be the collateral damage?