IGNORED

VideoGameSage NES Weekly Contest 2020 Suggestions Thread

guillavoie

I've suggested this one before, but I think Ghostbusters II would work as long as a rule is made to prevent a one-up loop in the first driving stage.

If you want to do The Guardian Legend again, there is a way to make it work as a high score competition.  When you use the TGL code, it shows a score between stages, but this score isn't the same as the one shown while you're playing.  It disregards any points you receive during the boss battles.  There are a few problems with this though.  You can only see this score between stages, so you'll have to keep taking new pictures as you play.  It doesn't stay up very long either.  The last time it shows up is at the end of Area 10, so the last two areas would have to be excluded.

Xexyz might be a good choice.  Like The Guardian Legend, there's a password that lets you just play the shooting stages.  Although, it has been a while since I've played, so I don't remember if you could point press at the bosses.

Tiny Toon Adventures might work as well.  

Have you ever considered adding Famicom games?  I'm guessing you'd want to keep things accessible to people who play with real software/hardware, but adapters aren't very expensive and you could choose cheap games like Atlantis No Nazo or Pooyan.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Red said:

I've suggested this one before, but I think Ghostbusters II would work as long as a rule is made to prevent a one-up loop in the first driving stage.

If you want to do The Guardian Legend again, there is a way to make it work as a high score competition.  When you use the TGL code, it shows a score between stages, but this score isn't the same as the one shown while you're playing.  It disregards any points you receive during the boss battles.  There are a few problems with this though.  You can only see this score between stages, so you'll have to keep taking new pictures as you play.  It doesn't stay up very long either.  The last time it shows up is at the end of Area 10, so the last two areas would have to be excluded.

Xexyz might be a good choice.  Like The Guardian Legend, there's a password that lets you just play the shooting stages.  Although, it has been a while since I've played, so I don't remember if you could point press at the bosses.

Tiny Toon Adventures might work as well.  

Have you ever considered adding Famicom games?  I'm guessing you'd want to keep things accessible to people who play with real software/hardware, but adapters aren't very expensive and you could choose cheap games like Atlantis No Nazo or Pooyan.

Famicom Mappy would be great for the contests.

Events Team · Posted
On 1/20/2020 at 5:14 PM, Jaden said:

Videomation I think could actually make for a fun contest. Who can draw the best picture with a D pad?

On 1/20/2020 at 9:35 PM, JamesRobot said:

I like this idea.  Totally subjective, but the winner could be determined by VGS poll.  Can we please do this?

I'm definitely going to give this a serious thought. I'd like to make it happens, but will need to discuss this further with our good friend Bea.

• Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted
8 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

@Red you gonna play again champ! You are one of the best around. 

@guillavoie I didn’t care for TGL but once I played it I was a fan by the end of the week. Would love to play for high score. Although the last couple stages are really fun so it would be a bummer to miss out on them.

I remember that, as a huge fan of TGL I was quite pleased to see you shooter champ finally enjoying it. Let's say that I took good note of what Red said about the possibility of a high-score contest with it! I'm still amazed to learn those funky ways developer tried to make high-score possible in games. That is definitely on par to me with the reverse low-score system of Star Tropics.

8 hours ago, arnpoly said:

A Famicom contest would get me to play again.  Just sayin'.  😄

We were going through some old games the other day and my daughter has become kind of obsessed with Mappy.  Just a strange coincidence it has been mentioned here.  Anyway I'm getting pretty decent at it now!

We recently played Mappy for an AtariAge contest. I'd never played it much before. My best score was 90k

8 hours ago, arnpoly said:

A Famicom contest would get me to play again.  Just sayin'.  😄

We were going through some old games the other day and my daughter has become kind of obsessed with Mappy.  Just a strange coincidence it has been mentioned here.  Anyway I'm getting pretty decent at it now!

Stay over there on the dark side then. Famicom. Ppff. What is this blasphemy?

jk bud. Glad your enjoying it w the family 

Edited by skinnygrinny