IGNORED

Children of Morta

fox

This one must have went under my radar between all the other big releases, but man is this good.

Children-of-Morta_Switch-00-1038x576.jpg

It is kind of a Diablo style hack and slash with rogue-like elements, good graphics, and tight controls.  All of the heroes are members of the same family tasked with holding back the darkness, and each family member is a different character class with their own skills and playstyle.

Now sometimes rouge-like games are a bit too punishing, making you pretty much have to restart the whole game if you have a bad run.  But what is nice about Children of Morta, is even if you die and lose progress on the dungeon you are on, you keep all your experience and gold allowing you to level up your stats and get new skills and check back in on the family home for new story bits.  On top of that, each family member unlocks passive buffs that benefit the whole family, so you are encouraged to switch up between the different characters.

It is pretty tough early on, but once you start unlocking some of your character's kit, the combat just stars to flow.  Also there is 2 player local co-op if you want to hit it up Gauntlet-style.

• Like 1

I had wondered about this game, but sometimes just reading planted 'reviews' on sales pages or reviewer fanboy-antifanboy slant makes it hard what to think.  You're kind of getting me interested in this bringing Diablo and non-overly punishing rogue mechanics, sounds like a nice combo.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Also, this is on Game Pass. So if you're an Xbox person, it's essentially free.

Thanks for the heads up.  Currently it's on sale on the eshop for $17 and there are physical version available at retail.  Check it out, anyway you can!

• 6 months later...

I thought it was great, but I like rogue-likes generally.  It's challenging and fun,, with well-designed play and good progression overall.   This is another one that I got a review copy of, but i write for an indie site and they don't control my content in any way, so everything I write is my own. 

Here's my review if anyone is interested:

https://realotakugamer.com/all-in-the-family-children-of-morta-review

• Like 1