IGNORED

What "Everdrive" sort of deal should I get next? I'm especially interested in MAME loaded Xbox (how do I set it up?)

Estil

So now that we are in a new decade (I don't think we're going to get a real life Super Baseball 2020 anytime soon though) I thought what better way to get it off to a great start than to add to my "Everdrive" collection?  I really do appreciate so much that we live in this modern day and age where we can have every game from every region on a small postage stamp or even tiny pinkie fingernail size cartridge and use a "master key" of sorts to play anything you want and it still works as good as a real cartridge...plus you don't have to change cartridges all the time.  Now I had thought that sort of thing could only be on cartridges...but a few years ago I got the guts to put the Wii Homebrew on my Wii and it has an "Everdrive" for both the GC and Wii.  I do have a flashdrive with ever GC iso that I got several months or so back but unfortunately the drive is not in proper FAT32 format so I can't use them until I can get around to getting another 1 TB flash drive 😞  That's okay I suppose; I got an old "hand me down" external drive that fits the top 150 GC and top 20 or so Wii games to tide me over!

So now with the New Year I see a few additional options that look really good but with the one on top of my wishlist especially I want to be very sure it truly is worth the money.  Unfortunately all me and my wife get is our SSDI's (disablity) each month so I'm very lucky to even get to save up a few hundred bucks maybe once in a great while.  So you guys can totally understand why I want to be very sure that in the famous words of Gomer Pyle in that poker episode, if I'm gonna spend that kind of money, I want the best!  One thing that will help enormously is that since I will get these from Stone Age Gamer (where else?)  I'll get tickets on one which I can use to get a hopefully big discount on the other.  What times of the year does he normally do the specials like getting 2x tickets on a purchase or something?

1. Supercard DSTwo for 3DS games - Now I already have one of these for the regular DSi and it's fantastic that I was able to fit the whole US library on one cartridge!  That being said and with the 3DS nearing retirement it'd be super nice to get a second one of these for my 3DS at some point maybe?  Could I reasonably fit all the 3DS games (the US ones I mean) on one micro SD card or are the games too big?  I don't think there's nearly as many 3DS games as there are DS ones though right?  Or is it still too early to be thinking of this?  After all won't Nintendo brick your system if they catch you using roms on it (it happened with Pokemon a few years back right?)?

2. Original Xbox as MAME machine - Is it true that the original Xbox makes for an ideal way to play MAME arcade roms?  If so how much of the MAME library can fit on the Xbox's hard drive?  I never did do any Xbox consoles so I figured maybe this might give me the perfect excuse to give it a try.

3. Atari 2600 Light Sixer with Harmony Encore - I believe this was the first ever "flash cart" meant to let you play all that console's games in one cartridge?  I don't think I've ever had an Atari 2600 so I think this setup might be nice to have at some point.  Would the Light Sixer with AV mod be best?

4. Turbo Everdrive (TG16) - I do in fact already have a Turbo Everdrive ready to go I got from a few years back (it was on sale and I think I had some store credits of some kind that were about to expire and I didn't want them to get wasted but it looks like the TG-16 has gotten a cult following in the last few years and now the consoles are well over $100 now last time I checked 😞  I thought it might be nice to have the "trifecta" for at least one console generation (I can do the best two out of three for the 3rd-7th gens, that's not bad right?) but maybe the TG-16 isn't all that great to begin with... 😞 

So I hope at some point during this year to definitely get at least the top three...the others I guess would be kinda nice but is nowhere near a priority.  But like I said especially for the first one on this list these are quite the investments considering our small pocketbook (I'll consider myself very lucky if I can get even afford the top one on my wishlist before my birthday this March 22) so I want to be very very sure they're truly worth every penny like all the other "Everdrives" I proudly have. 🙂 

I don't suppose they ever made anything this for the Saturn did they? 

Edited by Estil

1 - I been really tempted by the PSIO but I have resisted because they still seem to have incompatibilities on certain games.  My mod chipped Ps1 still does the job but I been really close several times to buying one.   I own a Rhea for Saturn and a GDEMU for Dreamcast and I love these things.

2- I can't comment on what Krizz is doing with sega cd but I loved my mega everdrive.  I picked up a Mega SD from terra onion and I love that thing.  Being able to play sega cd from a cart is very nice and it works well.

3- I think for 3ds you can just soft mod the system and just use any sd card.  Last I checked you needed some kind of card for DS games but I could be wrong.

6-  No sour grapes the TG16 is amazing.  It is my favorite console and I have a good collection of hardware and games.  It was the first system I got after my nes at age 13 and I have been fond of it ever since.  I like to play, collect, and fix these systems.  In fact I just fixed a TG16 parts board I got off of ebay.  If you interested message me I may be able to cut you a good deal so you can get put that everdrive to use.  It's system only but I can let ya know what parts ya need.  The system is fully working and tested.

As for the Saturn bit, you have Rhea or Phoebe which replaces the optical drive with a SD card drive of sorts, otherwise there is Phantom mod chip or you can flash a Action Replay cart with Pseudo Saturn (my Saturn has both Phantom and a Pseudo cart as some imports don't play nice with Pseudo)

10 hours ago, Estil said:

Well suppose I add a 32X...will I still be able to play those Master System games off the Everdrive?  Because we all know with real cartridges you can use the Power Base Convertor or you can use the 32X...can't have both.  Then again the AVGN hates the 32X so maybe it's not worth bothering with?

The 32x is kind of a mixed bag, but there are a few standout games. Knuckles Chaotix is a fun side adventure to the Sonic series, the Star Wars Arcade Game is pretty good, and it had probably the best cartridge port of After Burner.

Some of the games, like Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing Deluxe were done better on later consoles, though.

11 hours ago, Estil said:

Supercard DSTwo for 3DS games - Now I already have one of these for the regular DSi and it's fantastic that I was able to fit the whole US library on one cartridge!  That being said and with the 3DS nearing retirement it'd be super nice to get a second one of these for my 3DS at some point maybe?  Could I reasonably fit all the 3DS games (the US ones I mean) on one micro SD card or are the games too big?  I don't think there's nearly as many 3DS games as there are DS ones though right?  Or is it still too early to be thinking of this?  After all won't Nintendo brick your system if they catch you using roms on it (it happened with Pokemon a few years back right?)?

There is no reason to have an external mod for a 3ds considering you can use the guide to install custom firmware in under and hour and then install the .cia files onto the SD card of your 3ds directly through the CFW

By my count, the playable 3ds library is about 200 games and comes in under 300 gb of data so you can have em on one as card if you wanted.

I'll add that installing CFW has no risk to you the consumer if you follow the guide. Consoles are never bricked by Nintendo for any reason no matter what game you play. 

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
Mo

42 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

The 32x is kind of a mixed bag, but there are a few standout games. Knuckles Chaotix is a fun side adventure to the Sonic series, the Star Wars Arcade Game is pretty good, and it had probably the best cartridge port of After Burner.

Some of the games, like Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing Deluxe were done better on later consoles, though.

My 32X collection:

And other than Space Harrier and Spider-man, those are probably the games worth owning. BUT.. supposedly the 32X improves your Genesis games.

20200111_151701.jpg

Edited by Nintegageo

Homebrew Team · Posted

I have a PSIO.  I haven't kept up with it's development lately, so I might be a little outdated. 

Their 98% game compatibility is based on the game booting and not about the game being fully functional.  Some games work and others are buggy.  I think it will eventually get to a very compatible device down the road.  If you are okay with the wait and or gamble, then sure get it and enjoy where it excels right now.  However your money might be better spent, at this time, on another system.

On a related note, is the Free McBoot for PS2 compatible with PS1 games?

That's just the thing I can't afford to gamble.  And what are these "another systems" you speak of?  The Free McBoot is very much a mixed incomplete bag; for example Misadventures of Tron freezes right after the start of the intro level, and about 2/3 or 3/4 the way through Tales of Destiny (2nd of the Tales Of series) the game will freeze if too much stuff happens during a battle.  It's better than nothing I suppose but I want something that's like an Everdrive for PS1 and I'd love it and hope that the PSIO can indeed do the job.  And like Gomer Pyle said in that poker episode, if it's gonna cost that kind of money I want to make very sure I get the best!  After all Gomer did throw away four kings because he wanted the best 😄 

PS: Remember I can't do console mods (the kind where you have to open it up and play with the electronics in someway) so I'd have to buy them already like that, like the kind you can get at Stone Age Gamer (or you could if and when they come back in stock).

Edited by Estil

I can't get into good detail on most, but the last, the Turbo/PC Everdrive I can, I have it, and I've used it on both the primary hardware sources for it the Core Grafx(PC/TG) and the Duo which I have now.  It works perfectly in both, bonus, with a little hack to the system card, you can use it with a Turbo/PC CD unit or the Duo itself to be its own system card, though on Duo it would be kind of pointless as it has 3 built in.  It's a fantastic device, a bit more unique, it has a button on the unit itself to reset back to the menu given the system has no hardware button for that.

The menu is overly basic and easy to navigate.  If your system has the features to support it beyond passwords, you can do save games perfectly fine on the device to the memory card instead of having to use some external battery device or the super capacitor inside the Duo itself.

I will be cruel for fun here with that comment you made because it's wrong as it is right. " but maybe the TG-16 isn't all that great to begin with... 😞  "  Well yeah, you're right IT IS NOT, if you're just going to use it for the US library as it's mostly miserable crap which I won't sugar coat.  NEC was lacking any intelligence or will in our region, as they had the ability to tap into an amazing library of games from third parties both the US had already established (Konami, Capcom, Taito, Namco, etc) and others they'd have little challenge shoveling either, and they refused leaving US with just under 100 games of which most are mediocre or worse.  But it's an Everdrive, you can hit that 300+ game Japanese library, of which various titles have full translation patches now and the stuff is stunning quality.  I'm talking on the level of Sega Genesis killer in the graphics and audio department, gameplay neither a slouch either.  I truly believe had NEC tried in 1989/90 to cripple Sega as they did at home (Japan) and damage Nintendo too, they would have, easily.  So no, don't dismiss the PCE library for the TG one, it'll be your loss.

2 hours ago, Estil said:

PS: Remember I can't do console mods (the kind where you have to open it up and play with the electronics in someway) so I'd have to buy them already like that, like the kind you can get at Stone Age Gamer (or you could if and when they come back in stock).

If you can download games and put together an Ikea bookshelf, you can instead custom firmware on a 3ds. With that said, you can buy a 3ds with custom firmware on it on that for $100-150. I sold a few for around $175 with 60+ 3ds games on it. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

If you can download games and put together an Ikea bookshelf, you can instead custom firmware on a 3ds. With that said, you can buy a 3ds with custom firmware on it on that for $100-150. I sold a few for around $175 with 60+ 3ds games on it. 

I second this.  I have done 2 CFW installations on 3ds systems.  Super easy if you take your time and read the intructions. I would recommend reading them once before even starting if you are nervous. 

Recently I installed an app (twilight++ I think) that loads me into ds mode on the 3ds. Looks just like the ds home screen.  With this I have 3ds and ds games available from the SD card.  No flashcart required.

I have owned PSIO and TG16 everdrives.  Neither rocked my socks off.  I would look into the TerraOnion solution that includes TurboCD support.  PSIO's locked down firmwares feels a little anti consumer so resale becomes problematic if you decide you don't like it.

Edited by zeppelin03

3 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I thought with the Super DSTwo or whatever you didn't have to do that?  I didn't have to with the DS.

And what exactly is wrong with the PSIO besides not being able to use memory cards?

Edited by Estil

I'd still go with if you can find it that super card dstwo for 3DS/DS -- great emulation potential on top of just well pirating the intended stuff.  If not that, PCE all the way, so much they got we got denied so stupidly - truly what would have made that system sell far better here had they even tried.

33 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I'd still go with if you can find it that super card dstwo for 3DS/DS -- great emulation potential on top of just well pirating the intended stuff.  If not that, PCE all the way, so much they got we got denied so stupidly - truly what would have made that system sell far better here had they even tried.

The heck is a "PCE" (oh you mean PC Engine?)?  And I already got the Super Card DStwo for my regular DS (with all US games...boy did that take some doing).  I'm just wondering if the 3DS is now retired and how big the US rom set is for the 3DS?

Edited by Estil

Yeah, you should check out the PC-Engine stuff. Our view of that library is skewed as we never got a sizable chunk of the library (especially the CD games.)

3DS is kind of on life support now. Production ended in Japan, but you'll probably still be able to get new ones for some time.

I also agree with PCE.  In general, the hardware is cheaper and easier to find compared to TG16.  If you get an Everdrive or Super SD System 3, you are covered for most of the library.  I'm currently using a Duo R with an Everdrive, and a bunch of burned CDs.  I'm considering selling the Duo R, and getting a Super SD System 3 for my Core Grafx so I don't have to worry about any more CD drives.  

I actually have had a Turbo Everdrive for a few years (I had to get it at the time or else I risked losing store credit or something I forget) I just hadn't gotten around to getting a TG-16 for it.

I don't do that burned CD stuff...if I still have to change discs that defeats over half the idea of an Everdrive kind of thing...to save on wear and tear of changing cartridges/discs all the time and not risk scratching/'printing your discs.  Especially useful if you got valuable (monetary and/or sentimental) disc games in your collection...I mean why risk wrecking them if you don't have to?

Edited by Estil

37 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Yeah, you should check out the PC-Engine stuff. Our view of that library is skewed as we never got a sizable chunk of the library (especially the CD games.)

3DS is kind of on life support now. Production ended in Japan, but you'll probably still be able to get new ones for some time.

Speaking of which, even with the MegaEverdrive Pro (the one that does Sega CD) you still have to have a 32X to make 32X roms work.  I dunno, is it really worth a mere 40ish games to put my Genesis on life support? 😄 

2 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

In that case, sell your TG16 Everdrive and get the Super SD System 3.  The good news is that the cost of the Super SD System 3 and a PCE or Core Grafx is approximately the same as a Duo R and an Everdrrive.  

And the bad news?

Honestly I think the using an original Xbox as an MAME/arcade machine/Everdrive sounds pretty fascinating but how does it work exactly?  And will it correctly run all MAME/arcade roms up to a certain year or something?

Edited by Estil

9 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Sometimes finding one.  Not sure on availability right now since I haven't checked recently.  

Heh, I'll be lucky if I ever do get around to getting a TG-16...maybe back when they were only $40-$50 I might have but I don't know about what they're going for now 😞   That's okay, I'll still keep my Turbo Everdrive on standby, just in case.

1 minute ago, Estil said:

Heh, I'll be lucky if I ever do get around to getting a TG-16...maybe back when they were only $40-$50 I might have but I don't know about what they're going for now 😞   That's okay, I'll still keep my Turbo Everdrive on standby, just in case.

If you are patient, you can still get a Core Grafx for around $100.  

• Like 1