IGNORED

NWC 1990 on eBay | Any Concerns? | Your Thoughts on Future of NWC Carts? | I'm Paranoid!

On 1/13/2020 at 12:42 PM, jonebone said:

So I collect 90s cards, mostly Ripkens.  PWCC and Probstein are the eBay cosignors and their auctions hit absurdity sometimes.  The high end sport cards are extremely volatile, usually in a bubble after news (HOF, last game, death, etc.)  

That Brady card doesn't even look that rare, there's tons of them on the market.  That means everyone wants to be a seller of it.  Last public sale of PSA 10 was $135k and the consignor (PWCC, who is a whole nother story) states 1 of 3 PSA 10s they've sold.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Playoff-Contenders-Tom-Brady-ROOKIE-RC-AUTO-144-PSA-10-GEM-MINT-PWCC/352889265004

The PSA population on it (filter this to Brady) says pop of 157, 14 10s, 19 9s, etc.

https://www.psacard.com/pop/football-cards/2000/playoff-contenders/43711

Based on your mobile twitter link above, it states a $400k sale in Feb 19 in BGS 9 Auto 10.   Well you can buy a BGS 9.5 Auto 10 for $250k (OBO) right now.  Pretty nice loss of $150k there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-PLAYOFF-CONTENDERS-TOM-BRADY-ROOKIE-TICKET-BGS-9-5-10-HIGHEST-GRADED-EVER/174078412791

So, this card is clearly trending down and has a ways to go before the bubble is popped on it.  Unless Brady dies today or something crazy then hype would go who knows where.  But its clear that everyone wants to be a seller of it as there is no shortage coming to market, plenty on eBay.  Likely because it probably experience an insane speculative bubble run recently.

Pretty misleading an article would come out right now stating the $168k card value when last auction was clearly $135k and you can see what direction it is heading.  Trades are hogwash when trying to prove a real value.  It's all a shell game on those. 

The 450 sale on Brady was the auto limited 100 run, the one you cite is the regular auto. Hence the difference. Wonder what a Brady 12/100 auto in 9 or better would sell for. A million? 

Also, population 14 PSA 10 for an elite modern card is extremely low. The best comp is probably Jeter, pop 12 PSA 10 on his SP foil, and that’s gone from 50k in 2017 to 180k last year, leading up to his HoF induction coming this year. Brady’s a bigger name for sure. Seven or so from now when he enters the HoF? Who knows.

Regardless, for me, anything that moves grays closer to golds is a good thing, especially on the higher end grays. They are seeped in so much more history. There is definitely more going on behind the scenes with them now, as well, especially after this trade (which was a legitimate one for one swap, yes). I’d say that 7.0 up is probably one of the top 10 or so nicest known copies. It will be interesting to see how that one ends. What will also be interesting is where the dozens of 5.5s will settle. How big will the gap be between high grade (I’d say 7.0 or above) and lower grade copies.  

As for the highest, there is a 9.0. Given the harshness of the WATA scale on these, that’s mint as hell. 

Edited by ExplodedHamster

On 1/20/2020 at 2:04 PM, ExplodedHamster said:

The 450 sale on Brady was the auto limited 100 run, the one you cite is the regular auto. Hence the difference. Wonder what a Brady 12/100 auto in 9 or better would sell for. A million? 

Also, population 14 PSA 10 for an elite modern card is extremely low. The best comp is probably Jeter, pop 12 PSA 10 on his SP foil, and that’s gone from 50k in 2017 to 180k last year, leading up to his HoF induction coming this year. Brady’s a bigger name for sure. Seven or so from now when he enters the HoF? Who knows.

Regardless, for me, anything that moves grays closer to golds is a good thing, especially on the higher end grays. They are seeped in so much more history. There is definitely more going on behind the scenes with them now, as well, especially after this trade (which was a legitimate one for one swap, yes). I’d say that 7.0 up is probably one of the top 10 or so nicest known copies. It will be interesting to see how that one ends. What will also be interesting is where the dozens of 5.5s will settle. How big will the gap be between high grade (I’d say 7.0 or above) and lower grade copies.  

As for the highest, there is a 9.0. Given the harshness of the WATA scale on these, that’s mint as hell. 

This is awesome.  Thanks for chiming in.  Would love to see the grey carts surpass the Gold ones. It's odd to think that literally anybody that has a grey cart, could theoretically make a gold cart

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 1:26 PM, 98ViperGTS said:

This is awesome.  Thanks for chiming in.  Would love to see the grey carts surpass the Gold ones. It's odd to think that literally anybody that has a grey cart, could theoretically make a gold cart

Hard to picture that happening anytime soon, maybe someday but gold has always been 'the thing'.  Plus it doesn't seem like a month goes by without seeing someone offer gray plus cash for a gold one.

On 2/9/2020 at 8:31 PM, hyrulevyse said:

Hard to picture that happening anytime soon, maybe someday but gold has always been 'the thing'.  Plus it doesn't seem like a month goes by without seeing someone offer gray plus cash for a gold one.

I think we will see it in the very near future. Gold's are nothing more than grey bootlegs. Literally anybody that owns a grey cart right now, can purchase one of these extremely well done gold reproduction cases, and throw their grey board into it. I'd be amazed if anybody could distinguish it from a "real" one.

9 hours ago, 98ViperGTS said:

I think we will see it in the very near future. Gold's are nothing more than grey bootlegs. Literally anybody that owns a grey cart right now, can purchase one of these extremely well done gold reproduction cases, and throw their grey board into it. I'd be amazed if anybody could distinguish it from a "real" one.

I mean, people repeat this claim over and over and over again, but are there any actual known examples of this occuring? This is starting to sound like the whole "razorblades in Halloween candy" urban legend...

A LEGIT NWC gold is not a bootleg, whether they were made from leftover greys on not, they're an interesting piece of the NWC story in and of themselves. Afterall, the NWC was first and foremost a marketing ploy, the actual competitive aspect was just spectacle. The Nintendo Power Golds were a component of that marketing event, whether people like to admit it or not.

Holding greys aloft as legitimate parts of Nintendo history while castigating golds as little more than bootlegs is disingenuous at best. At worst, it looks like grey owners are just jealous that their little pride and joy might only be second best...

9 hours ago, 98ViperGTS said:

I don't have a crystal ball to know if Gray's will surpass Gold at some point, but if so this won't be the reason why.  There's several stupid things that make one version of something more collectible than another of that same thing.  First 3 prints of SMB are merely separated by a sticker for example.  Bootlegs and fakes are also a thing in any collecting category.  I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell which one was fake (maybe side by side in person) but I'm confident experts would be able to.  Again, just like I couldn't tell the difference between two Mona Lisa's or some random coin, etc...  Provenance will come into play in the future as well.

Edited by hyrulevyse

2 hours ago, 98ViperGTS said:

Yeah, that's mine

Ahh there we go! Sorry, wasn’t sure if it was mentioned in here yet. Just popped up onto my eBay feed this morning.

Edit: ahh okay, I see it now earlier in the thread. I didn’t know that number was yours, sorry for double posting. Pretty cool to own one. (Not sure i could let one go if I happened to own a copy).

Any clue how the crack on the shell happened? Shells feel pretty tough, I feel like it’s take a decent amount of force to do that. Wondering if this has got an interesting story behind it! 🙂 

Edited by Lambda