IGNORED

Announcing DATABASES! Retro Video Game Stores!

Gloves

Administrator · Posted

Today we're announcing a bit of a pilot project, potentially the first of many of its kind, depending on how it goes - VGS Databases!

If you were a member of NintendoAge you know we had a Games database, where users entered data pertaining to games across various consoles. This is essentially the first go at something like that here on VGS. Based on how it goes and your feedback on the tools, we'll be in a good place to expand into other stuff, such as a Games database, among other things. We're pretty open to ideas for similar stuff so please feel free to let us know if there is another "list" on the site or anything like that which might be a good use case for Databases!

As for this particular Database, the Retro Video Game Store DB is exactly what it sounds like. You may be familiar with the thread from NA and the one here on VGS (Thanks @Mega Tank for porting it over!), and this is that, but official and user-generated. It's got a wiki style editing process, so anyone (yes, you!) can hop in there and add a store to the list, along with the pertinent info for the store.

Right now we have them categorized by country and currently limited to Canada & USA (if you live elsewhere and want to contribute just let me know and I'll add your country and region!). Inside each country is a list of provinces/states for better organization. Hop into your province/state of choice and add a store! 

If you think that we could use more fields (I've considered adding social media links as an option, for instance), let us know in this thread. I'm happy to make adjustments based on feedback.

If you're reading this, the feature is NOW LIVE! Check the main navigation on the site for "Databases" and click "Retro Video Game Stores" to check it out, and contribute!

A bit of a side note re: rules & regulations: I do want to caveat that while I can totally appreciate a good joke, note that this feature follows the same rules as the rest of the forum. Making a fake store and calling it "Cock 'n' Balls" because it's funny will both make me laugh, and hand you an official Warning on your account. We've left it quite open - you can edit anything, even stuff other people have put up, just like a wiki! But with great power yada yada - if you try to ruin the hard work of others you will find yourself being punished accordingly.

Let's work together to make something cool without being dicks about it, eh? We can see who makes edits, what edits they've made, and we can roll back to previous versions. So if you think it's funny to go in and remove someone else's hard work, you'll find that the page will be restored without issue, and you will no longer be able to log into VGS.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Obviously, we will want to expand and have game/system/hardware databases.  I would like to recommend that if we want to roll out systems at a time, maybe you guys create databases for 2-3 consoles at a time.  Before then, let's have posts where people can request to be DB mods, and then we can vote on who maintains the lists or, at least, approves what people edit.

There could be malicious changes that might take a true mod (like yourself, Gloves) to roll back, but I think what could more realistically be the problem is that some casual newb thinks they've found something new, they are excited and they make an edit with false details.  I think it's fine if they can make a change, but I think knowledgeable mods need to review those changes before they make it into the final DB.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, RH said:

Obviously, we will want to expand and have game/system/hardware databases.  I would like to recommend that if we want to roll out systems at a time, maybe you guys create databases for 2-3 consoles at a time.  Before then, let's have posts where people can request to be DB mods, and then we can vote on who maintains the lists or, at least, approves what people edit.

There could be malicious changes that might take a true mod (like yourself, Gloves) to roll back, but I think what could more realistically be the problem is that some casual newb thinks they've found something new, they are excited and they make an edit with false details.  I think it's fine if they can make a change, but I think knowledgeable mods need to review those changes before they make it into the final DB.

I can set up moderator approval process for this stuff, yeah, and if we do something more "serious" then we'd have it on more than likely. On the same page, you and I are. 

One other question--considering that many like myself have multiple spreadsheets (with multiple tabs 🙀) of data, does this forums software have a place where mods can upload data?  I think it'd be worthwhile to batch upload the lists of games and even serial number data, if we have it.  Don't ask/don't tell *cough* what the original source might have been, but some of us are setting on some serious DBs, waiting to repost... I'm mean post those details.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, A_Feisty_Pickle said:

Love it! Not sure how I feel about full addressing being required though, especially when they can change somewhat often. What's the opinion on just having city, state required and other fields optional? 

The whole address section is one big block, I'd have to split it out separately to accomplish this. 

Tbh I don't think it's a big deal, I'm not sure stores physically move THAT often, and I do require the full address as you see it in there if I'm going to (maybe) include an interactive google map on the page. 

6 minutes ago, A_Feisty_Pickle said:

Love it! Not sure how I feel about full addressing being required though, especially when they can change somewhat often. What's the opinion on just having city, state required and other fields optional? 

How often are you stores changing locations?  Are they selling out of motor homes?  I know it can happen, but I would think it should be pretty rare.  Last year, we actually had a GameStop and a Slackers trade locations (not exact locations, but they traded between the different malls they were located in).  But again, that's the only example of a game store moving in our area in the past several years that I can think of .

8 minutes ago, Gloves said:

The whole address section is one big block, I'd have to split it out separately to accomplish this. 

Tbh I don't think it's a big deal, I'm not sure stores physically move THAT often, and I do require the full address as you see it in there if I'm going to (maybe) include an interactive google map on the page. 

Ah didn't think about map functionality in the future. I was assuming it'd just be a data store for viewing.

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I think having the addresses (even as required) is a good thing.

On a separate note - I've customized my 'latest content' stream to exclude database updates, just in case that is of interest to people:

https://www.videogamesage.com/discover/124/

Just keep in mind this will apply to ALL databases. This would include official site articles and the like. You're probably doing it cuz they're flooding your stream right now, but remember that won't always be happening. 

Administrator · Posted

I didn't know that would include articles and other items.  The "option" for excluding from the stream is completely blank and doesn't say what it is, so it's hard to know exactly what it will do.  Thanks for the heads up though - I don't want to block those types of content.

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I didn't know that would include articles and other items.  The "option" for excluding from the stream is completely blank and doesn't say what it is, so it's hard to know exactly what it will do.  Thanks for the heads up though - I don't want to block those types of content.

I'm pretty sure anyway. Not 100% since it's blank. Like I say, I have to look into why it's blank, when I get to a computer again. 

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

I'm pretty sure anyway. Not 100% since it's blank. Like I say, I have to look into why it's blank, when I get to a computer again. 

The blank option is just the database stuff. I had previously only selected that option and all that came up was the database stuff. That's how I figured out what the blank option was for. 

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

The blank option is just the database stuff. I had previously only selected that option and all that came up was the database stuff. That's how I figured out what the blank option was for. 

Yeah but I'm saying that blocking that blank space may either be JUST Retro Game Stores, or ALL databases, present and future.