IGNORED

Games You Have Beaten Recently?

Nightowljrm

10 minutes ago, themisfit138 said:

Played through God Of War III this weekend. Haven’t played the PS3 in almost 10 years. The last save on it was in 2010. 

How was it? I liked the first one and loved the second one, but skipped the third. I enjoyed the new one, which is an entirely different beast, but was contemplating going back and playing three.

It was alright. Quick, it was a little over 10 hours to complete. I don’t remember the first two much, but 3 had an insane amount of quicktime events in cut scenes. The combat is enjoyable, and the story is fine. GOW Collection is next on my list.  

Edited by themisfit138

Beat both games in the Solar Winds series this past week.  I'd beaten the original shareware game back when it was first released, but hadn't really seen a copy or messed with it since and never seen the second volume, having never registered the game when it was available.

The first game still holds up well, with all the plot developments, ship upgrades, plot twists, etc.  The second game...ehhh...  It makes me really glad that I never registered it back in the day, as while it does technically continue (and finish, I suppose) the original plot, it really amounts to a ton of Warcraft-esque "fetch" missions (go kill xyz, now go kill abc, etc.) and not much else.  There's also no warning or further plot development when it comes time to actually finish the game.  The reviewers who said that it was well worth the $30 of 1993 money to play the registered sequel must have been on Epic's payroll, as I'm disappointed now but would have been pissed had I spent that much on it back in the day.  $10-15, maybe, and that's considering it support for the first, actually fun game, but no more.

I spent way more time than what any sane person would/should trying to no-death run Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on the NES for both endings. I pulled it off with the bad ending a few days ago (whish is supposed to be harder) and I finally pulled it off with the good ending today.

I can overlook the painfully slow pace & lack of an attack to a certain degree, but the ridiculous RNG with enemy spawning and placement is way too obnoxious. And what's even worse, I had the game freeze lock on me probably about a dozen times, and it always happened in the Hyde parts.

Just beat a few more 8-bit games for the first time.

Quartet (Master System) : Not a bad game, but plenty of annoying things to deal with, like enemies respawning just seconds after you kill them.

Wonder Boy (Master System) Man, I always liked this game until I realized that it just goes on and on forever. It takes well over an hour to finish, and I didn't even bother to unlock the bonus 10th world. Not that that's so bad in itself, but the levels just get so repetitive, it just kills it.

Rush'n Attack (NES) Wow, this one was frustrating as hell, but after nailing down the proper strategy for each level, it become doable. The only part I couldn't get through consistently is the level 5 boss, a group a paratroopers that fire a barrage of bullets at you that are really tough to dodge, but after that the final level was a breeze. Worst enemy in this game: ladders. 😐

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

Managed to clear both loops of Moo Mesa yesterday, after only playing the game for a couple of days.

A little easy for an arcade games, but the more challenging stages and the final boss are super satisfying to play.

Nice! Wasn't this a 90s cartoon as well?

Also, do you stream or just post videos? If you stream, make sure to give us your name so we can follow!

17 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Also, do you stream or just post videos? If you stream, make sure to give us your name so we can follow!

I stream from time to time, this is a recording from a stream.
My name on Twitch is also Sumez, so it's pretty easy 😄

Working on Black Tiger at the moment, and will stream a 1CC attempt today if I can find the time. Doesn't seem as challenging as I'd thought at first.

EDIT: Yeah, the game is based on a short lived 90s cartoon most people haven't heard of. If you google the name, half of the result are of the game.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

Conquered two Master System games for the first time this week:

Ghostbusters: I actually kinda liked this game. Definitely has problems, bit I admire the ambition here. I thought it was pretty cool that rather than be a generic platformer, it was more of a sim where you actually had to manage your ghostbusting business. I think it could have been better if they focused strictly on that aspect and expanded it some more, rather than concluding with the very annoying Zuul building segments.

Zillion: This game really took me by surprise in how much I ended up enjoying it. I often hear about it being referred to as Sega's answer for Metroid, but really it has much more in common with Impossible Mission. In any case, once I figured out how the game works, I thought it was really fun. Pretty cool, open world action game.

• Like 1

Just beat Bucky O'Hare for the first time tonight. It was ok.

Not sure how I feel about games with infinite continues that drop you off exactly where you got a game over. It makes 1ups completely irrelevant. I did use the continue like 40 times. Is the game too difficult and unbalanced so they added infinite continues to balance it out? Bad game design? Or did I just suck because it was my first time playing? Idk. It was one of those games where there are SO MANY cheap deaths and patterns that you have to know beforehand. So, not so fair on first playthroughs. Maybe I'll feel different if I play it through again.

Sorry, I meant HIDDEN GEM HIDDEN GEM HIDDEN GEM HIDDEN GEM HIDDEN GEM HIDDEN GEM

eh.....🤷‍♂️

20200306_225213.jpg

Edited by acromite53
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, cj_robot said:

Zillion: This game really took me by surprise in how much I ended up enjoying it. I often hear about it being referred to as Sega's answer for Metroid, but really it has much more in common with Impossible Mission. In any case, once I figured out how the game works, I thought it was really fun. Pretty cool, open world action game.

Nice! I'm guilty of turning it on, realizing it's not a linear action game, getting confused, then turning it off after 10 minutes. That was a few years ago. I really need to try it again and give it an honest shot. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I like the music 

• Like 1

YES, YES, YES!!!!! I just beat King of Fighters 99 on PS1. I played this game for 2 days until I beat that absolutely ridiculously cheap final boss. My reaction after that was literally this:

To be specific, I actually played it on single play which is the traditional way to play fighting games, you know, you have to beat the opponent twice and you have 3 rounds max with only 1 loss max. This took me so long. Anyway I played the whole game as Mai with Kyo as helper. I thought once that Shao Kahn from Mortal Kombat 3 was the hardest final boss I have ever encountered in my life. Man I will probably back up my words now...

Well, that is until I realized I'm PROBABLY supposed to beat this game in team mode which is the default mode. That is a completely different story. So I just chose Leona, Terry, Mai and Kyo and started playing again and.. I beat this game again with 1 credit run this time. In this mode, the final boss is approximately 50 times easier as this is 4 people vs 1 final boss and only 1 victory is needed now. So in the end, I beat this game twice today and I must say team mode is very easy to complete overall

If there are any fighting games fans then please let me know what you think

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 3/7/2020 at 6:00 AM, acromite53 said:

Not sure how I feel about games with infinite continues that drop you off exactly where you got a game over. It makes 1ups completely irrelevant. I did use the continue like 40 times. Is the game too difficult and unbalanced so they added infinite continues to balance it out? Bad game design? Or did I just suck because it was my first time playing?

It's definitely terribly balanced.

I also used a ton of continues the first time I played it, due to very specific stages that just felt really hard when you haven't memorized what's coming up. The game is very schizophrenic, which makes it entertaining in that Battletoads/Gunstar Heroes kinda way, but it's also wildly uneven in how it plays.

Thing is, the very next time I played it, I beat it without using any continues, and I still didn't play very well. The game just gives you so many 1ups through a run that you can still die a lot, and get away with it no problem.

With a much tighter design, less reliance on memorization, and fewer extra lives, it could have been a really good game. It's still fun though.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

Just did these myself:

Black Tiger:

88159379_200402584386790_7758393543166105606_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=Jyk_Mgt8RN4AX_4iHDl&oh=e95a3fe26167e43176b1e3dae842e557&oe=5E952FB5

Karnov:

89063738_3171708999507554_2606348291628089644_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=102&_nc_ohc=xxWYoEnK-jQAX8cGHSn&oh=49151ab880aa34bcd95568f74739f2a0&oe=5E92307C

Black Tiger was a surprisingly easy 1CC. The game starts challenging and really requires learning every stage, but it gets very easy towards the end, because you get so much money to buy extra armors every time you come across a shop. Super fun arcade game though, very recommended - especially if you're looking for the satisfaction of getting a one credit clear on a real arcade game. 🙂

Karnov is a challenging game, but gets easy by knowing how to handle every obstacle. Very representative of late 80s arcade platformers, with a bunch of jank that's slightly jarring, but mostly just endearing. Overall, getting a 1CC didn't take a lot of practice.

Long overdue, I finally managed to clear Metal Slug 1 without using continues. I bought this game nearly 20 years ago, as one of my first Neo Geo games, because the game was an obvious must-have. But I'm embarassed of never really having attempted to play it "seriously".

Overall, it's still one of the easier arcade games out there. But the last stage really bares its teeth, and getting the 1CC required me taking an entire evening dedicated to replaying just that stage over and over (using the Neo Geo's debug setting) to practice it. After being able to clear it without dying a few times, I played a single full game and immediately made it to the last stage with no deaths. Ended up beating the final boss on my last life after screwing up and losing the slug. If I didn't do that it could probably have been a one life clear.

IMG_20200315_222733.thumb.jpg.eabc9755d2fd36da78c624ffc2ca6c00.jpgIMG_20200315_222813.thumb.jpg.00c59121c2588150162f636a8447659f.jpg

I beat Batman Returns on NES this morning. I enjoy this game. The music is great. I had to continue a few times to get through. Luckily you keep your health extension and even gain a bit if health at each continue. So that made it easier. The shooter staged are a lot of fun.

20200318_131929.jpg

I also played through Castlevania Rondo of Blood for the first time of PCE CD. This game is incredible. The soundtrack is really good. I played through each path and saved all the characters for 100%. Definitely the best Castlevania game of that era. 

20200315_182113.jpg

Edited by acromite53