IGNORED

Games You Have Beaten Recently?

Nightowljrm

The Legend of Prince Valiant for NES (aka Little Lancelot, as it's been retitled by Piko for the North American re-release)

Just beat it yesterday - 1 credit run without using the lone continue they offer you. Very fun game with awesome medieval music that really gets you in the Robin Hood type of mood. My only real complaint is that, of the five levels, level 3 is ridiculously harder to get through than the other four levels combined. It' so much harder in fact, that I didn't even die on level or 4 or 5 after finally getting through 3. And once you've played the game a couple of times, levels 1 and 2 become a real cakewalk. So the entire challenge of the game resides completely on a single level, which puts this in the running for most unbalanced difficulty of any NES game I've ever played. Still a lot of fun, but man, level 3 is harsh!

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Richardhead said:

you still onna lose foo!!!

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
29 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Got a no death run on Castlevania: Dracula x tonight. This has become one of my favourite SNES titles over recent years. 

IMG_20210224_013717816.jpg

Congrats, man!  I love the game too.  I remember all the hate I heard about it over the years about how it's way worse than Rondo, way worse than Super CV IV, etc, so when I finally played it I had looooow expectations.  Well it blew my socks off and I fell in love with it instantly.  It's way better than CV IV, and it's pretty similar to Rondo, which is a highly lauded game.  Best part for me is that the mechanics are mostly back to NES era (up + action for subweapons, no multi-directional whipping, etc).  The graphics are awesome, the music is killer, and it's just an all around good time.  I quickly went from not being able to beat it to save my life to being able to 1CC with both girls rescued anytime.  A No-Death run has always eluded me though, so major congrats for that accomplishment!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Got a no death run on Castlevania: Dracula x tonight. This has become one of my favourite SNES titles over recent years. 

One of my favourites in the series. People will lambast it for its slow movements compared to the visually similar Dracula X on PC Engine, but despite having played both games extensively, I never even made notice of that.

Of course it doesn't hold a candle to the PCE game, but they are different enough that they don't need to be compared, with the SNES one feeling more like a good traditional Castlevania game. I still prefer it by a long shot compared to the three other Castlevania games of the 16 bit generation.

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

It's way better than CV IV

It always bothers me how much praise CV IV usually receives outside of people who are hardcore into Castlevania games.
It seems that people who don't like Castlevania that much tend to prefer that game probably because it doesn't feel as much like a Castlevania game. That's not to say it doesn't have a ton of the series staples, and there's no way I'd ever argue that it's not actually a great game. But ranking every "classicvania" title, I would definitely lump it into the bottom half.

Of course there are probably only like three classic cv titles I'd even consider called downright bad, and two of those are on the game boy.

Edited by Sumez

My son and I just teamed up to beat Knights of the Round (Arcade) via the Capcom Beat-em-Up Bundle on Switch. I'd beaten the SNES port a couple years back and it must be said, it's a pretty-close-to-perfect adaptation of the arcade game. It's a nice all-around beat-em-up, if not terribly sophisticated or original. But there are a few neat little details, like being able to split the treasure and health power-ups into smaller pieces if players want to share them and the fact that it supports 3 players.

Finished up The Medium (XSX) last night. Overall I really enjoyed it, but many of the criticisms it's received are completely valid. The story, writing, atmosphere, sound design, voice acting, and music are all superb. In fact, the story could easily be adapted for a television show or movie without much effort.

The big downside is the gameplay which, for obvious reasons, could be a dealbreaker for people who want to play a videogame. Boss encounters are painfully boring and puzzles are pretty weak.  Movement is somewhat slow and awkward which can make navigating the levels a bit of chore. I liked the fixed camera angles, but I could see those bothering some people as well. Performance on the Series X is also unacceptably bad, with too many framerate stutters, pop-in, and visual artifacts.

Still, the unique dual-world concept and fantastic story really show what Bloober Team are capable of and I'd love a sequel.

Consider playing if you liked Alan Wake, Silent Hill, and Amnesia.

Edited by DoctorEncore

• 2 weeks later...

I got to the end of Gal*Gun 2 on Switch. It’s no heroic feat since the game features a deadline by which your accomplishments will determine the ending you get.

As it was I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, it’s a simple arcade shooter with a _very_ simple dating sim built-in. You get to beat two stages per day and then go on dates or go to bed. Everything but the levels themselves is filler. There’s no actual need to go on dates or to do side missions, but the latter can get you rewards such as gun upgrades.

It was a refreshing experience for me to go through a semi-perv game filled with japanese school girls and panty shots instead of the usual terrorists/zombies.

There is a New Game+ mode but there just isn’t enough to the gameplay to make me dive back in. There’s not much skill required to just clear the levels, but I guess non-Switch versions have trophies to obtain which would require more mastery.

Just finished Carrier on the Dreamcast. It's a pretty blatant Resident Evil ripoff, except with even cheesier dialogue, if that's believable. Not a great game, but not bad either, although it's probably far too easy a game to get that tense survival horror feeling.

Want to hit Resident Evil Code Veronica next. It's been a long time since I've played through that one, and I've never played the original Dreamcast version before.

• 2 weeks later...
Graphics Team · Posted

I cleared Robocco Wars [Famicom] a few days ago!

It's a platformer / shooter hybrid, and I feel like it mixes the genres better than Xexyz [NES]. The shooter sections are the better half, though, since the momentum-physics of the platforming is awkward.
@Sumez put this game on my radar last year, and I'm so glad I got myself a copy, because it's probably in my top 10 8-bit Nintendo games now.

(Also the fact that you play as a train-based mech is the best thing ever haha).

-CasualCart

1560790015_RoboccoWarsClear.jpg.255d963d4c69a34d0f724fcf6d6fd773.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I recently downloaded and beat Fire Watch.  I got tired of waiting/hoping for a physical to hit LRG.

It wasn't quite what I expected.  Not a great game, but certainly not bad. Spoiler analysis/semi-review below.

Spoiler

I knew this was suppose to be a game where "things are not what they seem" but I somehow formulated the personal expectation that Delilah was going to somehow be a bad guy and in on some kind of mind game on Henry.

I wasn't really expecting this to be a game about two lonely people only connected by voice, all the while, strange things would be happening around them.

The terrain was buggy at times, but the experience of wondering around the park was pleasant though, and that mostly made it worth the purchase.  The ending was kind of messed up, but I do think there was a bit of foreshadow about the boy's death.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Still on a survival horror kick.

Darkwood - I feel like I saw this game a year or two ago and just kind of dismissed it based on the top-down perspective or something, maybe the description of it being based around crafting/survival.  Either way, big mistake.  Atmosphere/setting-wise, it reminds me a lot of Fallout 1, in the sense that you're dropped into this large, obscure world without knowing very much, and it's extremely immersive once you get into it.  The story/lore is executed well, as a lot of it is left up to the player to either discover or infer.  Amazing soundtrack/sound design, definitely recommend to play with headphones on for the full effect. 

It's actually free to download/play as well via torrent ( legally ), which is good in the sense that it's, well, free and since this is a game I feel benefits from going in as blindly as possible ( the trailer spoils some of the fun, although not terribly ).  Then, if you like it, consider throwing $15 towards the developers as that is a small asking price for the experience.

Dead Space - I played this one back in the day on the PS3 but only recently decided to revisit and finish it for one reason or another.  Like Darkwood, the sound design is really well done.  Pacing-wise, Dead Space gets going very quickly and seldomly lets up.  I would say though I wouldn't mind if the length was cut down by a third or so.  Somewhat random aside, but I could see Splatterhouse revived as a survival horror game using Dead Space as the basic framework ( somewhat slow, methodical movement, upgradeable weapons, with the surrounding woods being more open/not as scary, with the Mansion having a similarly claustrophobic vibe as the ship in Dead Space. )

• 2 months later...

Cleared level 20 to reach pro level on the Colecovision Port of H.E.R.O tonight.  On Commodore with a very different control scheme I've been able to max out the score on pro level for a while now which takes a couple of hours.  The gameplay in this version has slight variations at many points but the real challenge is using a Coleco controller...

Looped Oil's well as well [9levels] on the easiest setting (also on Colecovision.)  I started playing this one here and there a couple of months ago, very fun game.

H.E.R.O..png

Oil's Well.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PII said:

Cleared level 20 to reach pro level on the Colecovision Port of H.E.R.O tonight.  On Commodore with a very different control scheme I've been able to max out the score on pro level for a while now which takes a couple of hours.  The gameplay in this version has slight variations at many points but the real challenge is using a Coleco controller...

Looped Oil's well as well [9levels] on the easiest setting (also on Colecovision.)  I started playing this one here and there a couple of months ago, very fun game.

H.E.R.O..png

Oil's Well.png

Man, HERO and Oil's Well are two of my favourite pre-NES games!  I personally prefer the VCS version of HERO, even though it has the worst graphics, because it controls the best.

As for Oil's Well, it is very similar in concept to an arcade game called Anteater; if you've got a MAME rig, I highly recommend you check it out...

27 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I personally prefer the VCS version of HERO, even though it has the worst graphics, because it controls the best.

I've never heard that before.  Only time I've played that version was on the Activision Classics PS1 disc and I hated playing with a d-pad.  What sort of controller are you using to play it on the Atari?  I have a single fire-button pistol grip joystick that I like to use when playing the Commodore 64 version, which of course is incompatible with the Coleco version which uses both fire-buttons...

31 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

As for Oil's Well, it is very similar in concept to an arcade game called Anteater; if you've got a MAME rig, I highly recommend you check it out...

That one looks fun too!  Clearly the predecessor, I'd never seen that one before.  Yeah, def. gotta look into a MAME rig one of these days... 

3 hours ago, PII said:

What sort of controller are you using to play it on the Atari?  I have a single fire-button pistol grip joystick that I like to use when playing the Commodore 64 version, which of course is incompatible with the Coleco version which uses both fire-buttons...

I use a standard CX40, but I started on Atari before moving on to NES when I was young, so if you started NES onward, I hear it's really difficult to adapt to the typical Atari joystick...

4 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I use a standard CX40, but I started on Atari before moving on to NES when I was young, so if you started NES onward, I hear it's really difficult to adapt to the typical Atari joystick...

I actually grew up on something very similar prior to a nes controller when using the commodore 64.  It was the exact same style of controller but with a much more reliable joystick and fire button.  I've used the cx40 a bit and never really considered it bad, but not particularly good either.  At any rate I'd have my work cut out for me if I tried to tackle H.E.R.O. with one...

• 2 months later...
Graphics Team · Posted

Today I played through Probotector [NES] for the first time (using the Konomi Code since I'm a scrub).

I was never interested in Contra, but I had to have Probotector when I learned that you play as robots for the European release. It's been on my radar for a long time, and I finally got a copy from France this summer.

It's definitely a fun game and the alien bosses were sick, but I don't really understand the legendary status it holds in the run 'n' gun genre. Anyone care to enlighten me on why it's held in such high regard?

-CasualCart