IGNORED

Games You Have Beaten Recently?

Nightowljrm

Editorials Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I've been aggressively highlighting tons of great games every day in my short time here, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from. 🙂 

Comparing Dead Cells to Dark Souls and Castlevania and even calling it "tighter" in the process, though? I think that's unfair to those other franchises.
I probably would have liked it a lot more if it didn't feels so incredibly padded out by its "roguelite" nature. Isaac did the same, but I think really gained a strong edge entire from the weird wacky random ways each individual run could evolve. Maybe I just sucked too much at Dead Cells, I wouldn't mind admitting that. But I got pretty fed up with playing the same repetitive area over an over again.

Both posts were supposed to be jokes.  I wouldn't call either one a home run.  Not sure if I even hit the ball...

Beat the original C&C and C&C: Renegade.

The GDI missions are so good, all leading up to the final epic battle. The nod missions are dire though, truly awful.

Renegade is a goofy af FPS, and I loved it for it. Really fun to go back to and play through.

Edited by Cepp

I've gotten through quite a few games more recently from my backlog! On GBA I got through Spyro 2: Season of Flame, Spyro: Attack of the Rhynocs, and I even got some really great scores on Pokemon Pinball RS! I beat Pokemon Ranger on DS too, which was very different from the main series, but I really enjoyed it and want to buy the other two games now lol. I got through some old adventure games on my Vita like Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, and Grim Fandango (so glad they remastered these!) as well as finally got to the Danganronpa spin-off game that I put off for the last 5 years lol I also completed my very first Zelda game with The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening on the Switch! 😄

I beat Hotline Miami for the first time on Switch, as part of the Hotline Miami Collection. This was my second attempt at this one -- I originally gave it a crack on PC years ago but put it down because at the time I thought it was too tense and difficult. Ironically I got the Switch to play more relaxing titles before bed, but I love the art style and decided I had to get a physical copy with they came up for sale a few months ago on SRG / LRG. It's an extremely well-made game with super-tight controls, well thought-out level designs, amazing music, and of course that totally wild aesthetic. Even the difficulty wasn't that bad once you get into the game's rhythm, and torching through a stage on a successful run makes you feel like some kind of Russian-Mafia-crushing ninja.

I'm now about three levels into the sequel and unfortunately it doesn't feel nearly as polished. The focus on gameplay seems to have been backburnered somewhat to make way for a convoluted story, which was probably the weakest part of the first game. I'm hoping my experience improves as things go on.

On 6/19/2020 at 1:25 PM, Sumez said:

I've been aggressively highlighting tons of great games every day in my short time here, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from. 🙂 

Comparing Dead Cells to Dark Souls and Castlevania and even calling it "tighter" in the process, though? I think that's unfair to those other franchises.
I probably would have liked it a lot more if it didn't feel so incredibly padded out by its "roguelite" nature. Isaac did the same, but I think really gained a strong edge entire from the weird wacky random ways each individual run could evolve. Maybe I just sucked too much at Dead Cells, I wouldn't mind admitting that. But I got pretty fed up with playing the same repetitive area over an over again.

The games do have similarities, but I think dead cells is quite unique. The difficulty develops in such a way that you can get stuck on a certain level for weeks or months, then get better and think: what was so difficult about that ? On higher difficulty levels it becomes tense and strategic, but you always keep on learning by trial and error and find new weapons to keep it interesting. And the story is quite interesting as well ! It gets a kind of science fiction angle to it once you start to understand it.

All in all dead cells has become one of my all time favorites, but I have to say that I am happy that I can put it down now after fully finishing it with about 175 hours in. 

I probably would have liked it a lot more if it didn't feel so incredibly padded out by its "roguelite" nature. Isaac did the same, but I think really gained a strong edge entire from the weird wacky random ways each individual run could evolve. Maybe I just sucked too much at Dead Cells, I wouldn't mind admitting that. But I got pretty fed up with playing the same repetitive area over an over again.

The games do have similarities, but I think dead cells is quite unique. The difficulty develops in such a way that you can get stuck on a certain level for weeks or months, then get better and think: what was so difficult about that ? On higher difficulty levels it becomes tense and strategic, but you always keep on learning by trial and error and find new weapons to keep it interesting. And the story is quite interesting as well ! It gets a kind of science fiction angle to it once you start to understand it.

All in all dead cells has become one of my all time favorites, but I have to say that I am happy that I can put it down now after fully finishing it with about 175 hours in. 

Beat The Last of Us 2. It has a lot of the things I complain about in all big budget modern games basically being movies. The main issue I have is the game is too slow. Scavenging items by running against all the walls of 100 burnt out pharmacies and apartments is repetitive and boring. Every "we have to get over there!" segment goes on a little too long. Even the console chugging out frames at 30fps is too slow. It could've used some editing to be a tighter game.

The gameplay itself is like a slightly improved TLOU, which is already a good game. The environmental art, acting, and world building is out of control. If it's not the most expensive game ever, it sure feels like it is just because of how long the game is and how detailed everything is. It's also got the best gay relationship in a game ever, bar none I think. Maybe except Commander Shepard romancing every man, woman, and alien in the galaxy.

I think I'd give the edge to the first TLOU game, largely because it's half as long, and despite the piles of money oozing out of every frame of this game.

Edited by DefaultGen

Just shapes and beats- Switch

(Technically, my 8 year old son beat it, but he put some work into beating this like I did NES titles like Duck Tales and Mickey Mousecapades, so this counts!)

Basically you move a little blue pixel around the screen and dodge all the pink objects that come flying at you. When you are cornered, you can press the x button to dash through the pink for a short burst unharmed. The game starts off nice simple and easy, but after the first boss in story mode, the game just cranks the difficulty up. The levels are preset of pink patterns that come flying at you to the beat music of the level, making this a combo of a shmup with no shooting and a pure rhythm game. Speaking of music, this game might have my favorite soundtrack in recent memory and is the absolute highlight of the game. If you are a fan of chiptune, dubstep, or edm, you will hear a few tracks that will catch your ear and have your head bobbing. Seriously. We are talking mega man and castlevania quality tracks. Highly recommend this game if you want a challenging title to bring you back to that feeling of conquering a classic nes game. Also highly recommend if you love shmups, although this is a very unique take. There is also a hard mode for when you defeat levels where the patterns get more complicated.

Majora's Mask is done as of tonight.  It was kind of mixed for a while. I enjoyed the world and the people roaming around the three days.  My original plan was to get all masks but gave up.  I realized if I forced myself to 100% it right now I will end up hating it.  Instead I learned a lot about the game and hope to return soon.  Like OOT I will get a little further each time.

Worth a playthrough if you haven't tried it yet.

Beat SBSP battle for bikini bottom rehydrated. First time playing this game for any platform and found it fun but several areas were incredibly frustrating to a point I wanted to put the controller down and walk away.

Recommend playing and once my daughter is a little older, I’ll let her take a swing at the game.

100% 'ed Yoku's Island Express on Switch. You don't often see a game nail two genres at once, but this one is not only a great Metroidvania-style platformer, it's also probably the best pinball video game I've ever played. Beautiful graphics, not too long, and a fun kid-friendly story. Also, your character is a dung beetle. Rad. I'm definitely coming back to this one again.  

Edited by dvertov

• 2 weeks later...