IGNORED

Beat every N64 Game - 2020 - 153/303

Splain

Administrator · Posted
6 hours ago, OptOut said:

@Gloves What problems are you having with Jet Force Gemini? I played it through at the end of last year and had a great time with it!

I will say, it gets a lot better once you can return to previous levels with all the different characters, the game totally opens up and becomes a lot more fun at that point. But even before that point I was still having fun!

I just don't really find it very fun. The N64 controller is largely to blame to be honest, as strafing while aiming down sights at a distant bug on a ledge is a painful experience. Any time you have to manually aim just sucks the big one.

8 hours ago, Gloves said:

I just don't really find it very fun. The N64 controller is largely to blame to be honest, as strafing while aiming down sights at a distant bug on a ledge is a painful experience. Any time you have to manually aim just sucks the big one.

I see! I found that a pain at first, but did you know you can move freely in all directions by using the C buttons while holding down R? Once I found that out it made the aiming a whole lot better for me. Then again, I'm one of those freaks who actually likes the N64 controller, so YMMV! 😉

Administrator · Posted
30 minutes ago, OptOut said:

I see! I found that a pain at first, but did you know you can move freely in all directions by using the C buttons while holding down R? Once I found that out it made the aiming a whole lot better for me. Then again, I'm one of those freaks who actually likes the N64 controller, so YMMV! 😉

I love the 64 controller, I'm just able to recognize games it's not great for lol. 

21 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I love the 64 controller, I'm just able to recognize games it's not great for lol. 

As far as I'm concerned, the only game the N64 pad isn't great for is Yoshi's story. I SO wish you could just use the D pad in that game, I hate using the analogue stick for 2D games.

So many times in Yoshi's story I'd be jumping over a gap and accidentally buttslam down it! Or just trying to run/walk based on the tilt of the stick, damn, so lame, lol!

Oh! I also remember having trouble with some of the 3rd person shooting sections in Conker, so you might have a point there, ha ha ha!

Administrator · Posted

I've never been so close to chucking a controller in my life. I'm going through the Blue Cave in Quest 64, you know the one, the Dungeon that takes like an hour to get through? 

A pack of flying skulls appear and I'm like "easy, I can one hit the group with Rock Shower, no problem". So I cast Rock Shower and... The game promptly FREEZES. 

Fucking kill me.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I've never been so close to chucking a controller in my life. I'm going through the Blue Cave in Quest 64, you know the one, the Dungeon that takes like an hour to get through? 

A pack of flying skulls appear and I'm like "easy, I can one hit the group with Rock Shower, no problem". So I cast Rock Shower and... The game promptly FREEZES. 

Fucking kill me.

Yikes, that blows...that is essentially my childhood experience with SMB 3...

16 minutes ago, OptOut said:

SMB 3 froze up on you? Don't remember that ever happening to me? Unless it was more of a hardware issue than a software issue... Do go on, I feel I need to hear this story now!

That happened to me once too.  Of course it was about 7/8 of the way into an attempt to play through the game 100%, including skip-able levels.  😐

32 minutes ago, OptOut said:

SMB 3 froze up on you? Don't remember that ever happening to me? Unless it was more of a hardware issue than a software issue... Do go on, I feel I need to hear this story now!

It happened multiple times. Definitely had to be a hardware issue. SMB 3 was an all-day affair because I'd feel the need to 100% it. I'd play for a couple hours, eat lunch, play a couple hours, take a quick break, etc. I know I never beat it...It would typically freeze in worlds 6/7, but that was easily 5+ hours. God bless Super Mario All-Stars for save states...

I was browsing through my small collection of N64 cartridges to see if i could find something to contribute to this challenge as well. So I have decided to give Star Fox 64 a go as I haven't played it since I was a child. I forgot most about it like how to access the different paths and I accidentally ended up on the red path if not for a short diversion on Macbeth. However, it was still a nice and fun challenge that had me on the edge of my seat a few times. For example, I beat Andross on my second attempt despite having been inhaled by him which obviously destroyed my wings. So I did this just with the regular shot and almost no health. I also totally forgot about the escape sequence and nearly died there. When I finally escaped I had not a single line on my life bar left. While I did have a few lives left, it was still exciting.

Anyway, I have a few games left that I could tackle. I'll see if I can contribute a little bit more. Emulating doesn't seem like a good option for the N64, so I'll probably stick to the games that I already own.

Star Fox 64.jpg

• Like 3

Administrator · Posted
18 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I was browsing through my small collection of N64 cartridges to see if i could find something to contribute to this challenge as well. So I have decided to give Star Fox 64 a go as I haven't played it since I was a child. I forgot most about it like how to access the different paths and I accidentally ended up on the red path if not for a short diversion on Macbeth. However, it was still a nice and fun challenge that had me on the edge of my seat a few times. For example, I beat Andross on my second attempt despite having been inhaled by him which obviously destroyed my wings. So I did this just with the regular shot and almost no health. I also totally forgot about the escape sequence and nearly died there. When I finally escaped I had not a single line on my life bar left. While I did have a few lives left, it was still exciting.

Anyway, I have a few games left that I could tackle. I'll see if I can contribute a little bit more. Emulating doesn't seem like a good option for the N64, so I'll probably stick to the games that I already own.

Star Fox 64.jpg

Yeah I've found emulation to be not great. Ended up buying an everdrive last week and it's great so far. If nothing else it let's me try out games I've never played before, and potentially even find some new games to add to the collection that I never considered before. 

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

N64 emulation has a ways to go. Lots of games are still practically unplayable.

@Gloves I don't know why you didn't get credits, and I also I can't see any way to get the story segment you mentioned without beating the game, so I'm just going to count it. Maybe your new everdrive hates credits.

I'm halfwayish through Mario Party 1.

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2020 - 53/303

You guys aren't using the **SPLAIN ALERT**!

Splain is unlikely to correctly process your game completions unless the official **SPLAIN ALERT** banner is displayed clearly on your submission!

He likes to sleep in during winter, and the **SPLAIN ALERT** sirens are the only thing able to rouse him from his slumber! 🤣

• Wow! 1

4 hours ago, OptOut said:

You guys aren't using the **SPLAIN ALERT**!

Splain is unlikely to correctly process your game completions unless the official **SPLAIN ALERT** banner is displayed clearly on your submission!

He likes to sleep in during winter, and the **SPLAIN ALERT** sirens are the only thing able to rouse him from his slumber! 🤣

Noted.....ahem.....**SPLAIN ALERT**

Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside Is done. Definitely better than both of EAs NBA games...

20200205_004059.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2020 - 55/303
1 minute ago, Splain said:

RIP

And thanks for taking all those sports titles lol

I was a Shaq fan growing up so I was the Lakers in Courtside and Live 2000, and it was still surreal playing as Kobe and knowing he's gone.  

In all my years of gaming, I bet I have spent 75% of it playing sports titles so jumping back in these games 20 years later has been very nostalgic for me.  I hope to play all the NBA (and maybe NHL) games in the N64 library this year.

I also want to thank you @Splain for running this thread! It is the first year I have participated in one of these and it has given me a good reason to jump back into my childhood.

• Like 1