IGNORED

Beat every N64 Game - 2020 - 153/303

Splain

Editorials Team · Posted
32 minutes ago, Omerta said:

Yep.

I deleted the pics but it’s not a huge deal. It’ll take an hour-ish to do it again depending on how lame the AI is being.

Nah, no pic needed. I'll mark it complete and I'll look into what modes show credits so I can update the thingy.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
14 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Get one more and make a trip up to Canadaland and we can play 4-player at my place.

Dude, the high point of high school was playing 4-player N64 every afternoon. We played through Gauntlet a handful of times. Fighting over who gets the gold/items is pure comedy.

• Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
3 hours ago, Splain said:

Dude, the high point of high school was playing 4-player N64 every afternoon. We played through Gauntlet a handful of times. Fighting over who gets the gold/items is pure comedy.

was definitely goldeneye Mario kart and smash here.  we played a little star fox too.  for some reason we didn't play gauntlet till ps2

On 6/29/2020 at 12:35 AM, Splain said:

Yeah, not a great first half, but it's really not that many games. Totally doable. I started Worms Armageddon. I'm not great at it, but It lets you repeat each mission as many times as you want, so it won't be quick but I'll get it done.

Also I forgot to update the list when I beat Milo's Astro Lanes a while back, so that's at least one more.

Did it show credits on the mode you played on? Some of the requirements on the list are relics of when I first tried filling them in, before we decided that credits are the only thing needed. I need to get back on filling those in...

I wish you luck on Worms. I tried it a few months ago but it just couldn't hold my interest/I'm not too good at the missions. I'm still plugging away at Mario Golf though. I don't get to play everyday so it's taking longer than I'd like at this point.

On 6/28/2020 at 11:35 PM, Splain said:

I started Worms Armageddon. 

Very underrated game. If you can convince a buddy to get good enough to be proficient, multi-player worms is up there in my top few multi-player games. The missions are fun too, but its all about the battles. 

Editorials Team · Posted
On 7/3/2020 at 7:37 PM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Got the credits in Mario Golf. Turns out you DO NOT have to beat the tournaments to get them. I was focusing on unlocking characters with more power so I could do the tournaments easier and once I unlocked Bowser the credits and congrats screen come up

Good info!

I'm doing... okay at Worms. I used to play Worms 2 on PC as a kid, so I'm familiar enough with how it all plays. I was a real ninja with the ninja rope, but the physics feel slightly different on the N64, so I find myself getting too ambitious with the rope. My biggest frustration so far is not knowing exactly what's required for each mission. It's annoying to sink some time into a mission, to find out that there was some random crate that appeared halfway through the round that I needed to grab first. So weird.

• The title was changed to Beat every N64 Game - 2020 - 150/303
  • 2 weeks later...

Well well well, if it isn't good ol' Opty with a special guest appearance in the beat N64 thread! 😄

**SPLAIN ALERT**

Daikatana complete! With this I have officially competed every FPS on the N64, and wouldn't you know it, this is absolutely the worst one, lol!

I think this is well known to be a bad game, and well I can't really defend it. What's the number one priority for an FPS? Decent combat. And this has got to be the SLOWEST and most sparcely populated FPS game I've ever played.

The environments are okay, but not well designed in terms of actual levels. You walk through relatively nice, varied environments, but with really not much urgency or reason. There are few enemies, and most die with one or two hits, and they are SO slow they don't stand a chance of hitting you.

There is actually a decent variety of weapons with some interesting and unique attacks and designs, but they feel utterly wasted on the competition you face. And did I mention how freaking SLOW this damn game is?

Also, probably the worst, most boring damn cutscenes I've seen in any game. And slow. And long and slow.

So, there you have it, I'll let you guys know when I finish another terrible game, lol! 😉

IMG20200727223703.thumb.jpg.fee8a01c173b586db95bba4bed1f417d.jpg

IMG20200727224233.thumb.jpg.cbb9d6cbf0c8c587e1d3be0f1ceb9008.jpg

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Beat every N64 Game - 2020 - 151/303
Events Helper · Posted
39 minutes ago, Galdius said:

If anyone wants to work on Snowboard Kids, feel free. I got better at it but I still can't beat it.
To tell the truth, I've been playing some other games for the last couple weeks. I need to get back to the N64 and play something.

me too........ *sigh* i keep saying that, robotron 64 is almost done.  I just got snowboard kids in the mail, i can try it, but have never played it.  I will get to crackin this weekend, we got 2 months to knock out another 25%, we can do it!!!!!!  I got about 10 games + i can work on now, so there is that 🙂 

Playing through Doom 64 and liking it a lot more than I thought I would. It's definitely easier than Doom or Doom II (probably because they felt bad for making you aim on the N64) but the atmosphere and weapons are honestly a little better. The chaingun in particular really kicks ass and the whole game has a really creepy and foreboding feel. It feels like a dream you might have after playing Doom II all day and running a high-grade fever.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Beat every N64 Game - 2020 - 152/303
  • The title was changed to Beat every N64 Game - 2020 - 153/303
Editorials Team · Posted

I beat Twisted Edge Extreme Snowboarding. This game is frustrating. Some races are no problem at all, you can place 1st easily on the first run. Then some take dozens and dozens of tries, you have to memorize the course and practice like crazy, and any tiny thing you do wrong will cost you the race.

8BQZ1kG.jpg

1ISgjTU.jpg

• Like 3

Played through Nightmare Creatures on Easy Mode ( the only choice is Easy/Hard mode ) with the Adrenaline Meter ( basically a timer that will fill back up or stop if you're fighting enemies ) turned off.  So not the most honorable completion, but it's beaten. 

If you like horror / survival horror ( it's more of a beat em up ), I think it's worth checking out.  The gameplay is very janky and repetitive, but it makes up for it with the creepy atmosphere and music ( the main theme is similar to Carpenter's The Thing's ending theme, so pretty cool ).

EDIT:  Started playing on hard mode to see what the differences were, ended up beating the entire game again.  There's very little difference between Easy/Hard actually ( granted, my skills probably improved over the first playthrough and I definitely had a better idea of item management ).  Some enemies have more HP and there might be an extra enemy or two here and there, but otherwise no major changes as far as I could tell.

nightmarecreatures1.jpg

Edited by Redmond
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2020 at 8:30 AM, Redmond said:

Played through Nightmare Creatures on Easy Mode ( the only choice is Easy/Hard mode ) with the Adrenaline Meter ( basically a timer that will fill back up or stop if you're fighting enemies ) turned off.  So not the most honorable completion, but it's beaten. 

If you like horror / survival horror ( it's more of a beat em up ), I think it's worth checking out.  The gameplay is very janky and repetitive, but it makes up for it with the creepy atmosphere and music ( the main theme is similar to Carpenter's The Thing's ending theme, so pretty cool ).

EDIT:  Started playing on hard mode to see what the differences were, ended up beating the entire game again.  There's very little difference between Easy/Hard actually ( granted, my skills probably improved over the first playthrough and I definitely had a better idea of item management ).  Some enemies have more HP and there might be an extra enemy or two here and there, but otherwise no major changes as far as I could tell.

nightmarecreatures1.jpg

Yep, I'll second a modest recommendation of this game. It's definitely not the most polished experience, especially with the clunky "Playstation" style controls. But there's plenty of inventive enemies to fight, the combat and exploration are both fun, and the levels offer decent atmosphere and variety without outstaying their welcome.

It's absolutely deserving of a place on the "honourable mentions" list of N64 games, IMO, especially seeing as there are so few horror themed games on the system.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...