IGNORED

Beat every Game Boy game - 2020 - 225/497

Splain

1 hour ago, bronzeshield said:

Re: Dragon Slayer I, it's mainly that I'm interested in playing through the Game Boy's first 100 releases or so, as a kind of informal project, so it'd come up in that context. And the game's reputation sort of intrigues me, since I've often enjoyed games that others deemed unplayable...

I own this one.  I've found enjoyment in quite a few games that are generally considered to be terrible, but not this one.  I admit I didn't give it much of a chance, but I think it might be one of the most tedious games I've ever played.

Editorials Team · Posted
On 1/4/2020 at 10:51 AM, koifish said:

Will Wario Land 2 GBC cart be accepted, or is only the grey cart allowed?

Also, would it be a problem if I played Link's Awakening in Japanese?

Japanese versions are fine, no prob at all. Even if the Japanese version has naughty bits lol.

Using a GBC cart to clear the GB game... I have to think about that one. Especially since I'll be putting up the GBC thread within the week. Would clearing the GB version count for the GBC thread? 🤔 Beat it once and count for both? I'll have to sleep on it. Whatever the decision is, it would be a precedent for other games that got a GBC release, like Super Breakout, Chessmaster, Lucky Luke, etc. It's hard to find a good comparison on a different system, since backwards-compatible software is extremely rare in the non-PC world. I'm leaning toward allowing it, if we can establish that the gameplay is completely identical.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2020 - 12/497
On 1/6/2020 at 12:38 AM, Splain said:

Japanese versions are fine, no prob at all. Even if the Japanese version has naughty bits lol.

Using a GBC cart to clear the GB game... I have to think about that one. Especially since I'll be putting up the GBC thread within the week. Would clearing the GB version count for the GBC thread? 🤔 Beat it once and count for both? I'll have to sleep on it. Whatever the decision is, it would be a precedent for other games that got a GBC release, like Super Breakout, Chessmaster, Lucky Luke, etc. It's hard to find a good comparison on a different system, since backwards-compatible software is extremely rare in the non-PC world. I'm leaning toward allowing it, if we can establish that the gameplay is completely identical.

Okay, I think I will start on Link's Awakening as well then, or rather "Yume o Miru Shima" IIRC. May we suffer through kana-only text with humility and grace 😅

The GB/GBC to me would make sense to those games that are pure color additions. I believe Wario Land 2, beyond maybe some bugfixes, would be identical. That said, maybe we should reach out to the powers that be for this one. Are there any existing forums or guides people have written on the differences (if any) between B/W and Color releases of the same game? It sounds like a TCRF thing, but maybe it will be more obvious to speedrunners or rom hackers.

Editorials Team · Posted

I've decided to be fine with it. Re-playing identical code is the reason I took a handful of games off the list to begin with, so we shouldn't have to re-play the same game twice for both lists. They should either get taken off one of the lists, which would be weird, or count for both. Plus the list of games that got a color release with no gameplay changes... is maybe 10 games long. So I'll go ahead and do the research, and for now beating it as either black or grey is fine. Feels like a "weird flex" to say it's not valid lol.

10 minutes ago, Splain said:

I've decided to be fine with it. Re-playing identical code is the reason I took a handful of games off the list to begin with, so we shouldn't have to re-play the same game twice for both lists. They should either get taken off one of the lists, which would be weird, or count for both. Plus the list of games that got a color release with no gameplay changes... is maybe 10 games long. So I'll go ahead and do the research, and for now beating it as either black or grey is fine. Feels like a "weird flex" to say it's not valid lol.

What about something like Looney Tunes? IIRC when it was re-released for GBC all that was added was bonus levels that just give you extra points. So it was changed, but the changes had no effect on the difficulty. 

20 hours ago, RH said:

It might be a while before I get to it, but would you guys consider beating Final Fantasy Adventure on the Switch as beating the Game Boy game?  I don't think it's a changed source ROM (other than, possibly, copyrights) and the emulation was done by M3. 🙀

As long as you mean the original, and not the 3D remake, you should be fine. I assume you are talking about the Collection release?

Editorials Team · Posted
23 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

What about something like Looney Tunes? IIRC when it was re-released for GBC all that was added was bonus levels that just give you extra points. So it was changed, but the changes had no effect on the difficulty. 

Oof, I'll have to take a look at that one. Here's a list of black carts and clear carts that share a title (or add something about "color") with a grey cart. I'm assuming the black carts will be much more likely to be colorized versions of the B&W rom, but in the case of titles that were grey in PAL and didn't get a grey USA release, those are probably going to be matches too. I'll go through these unless anyone already knows about them:

Black carts Clear carts
Asteroids Aladdin
BattleShip Casper
Black Bass: Lure Fishing Klax
Centipede Lucky Luke
Chessmaster Marble Madness
Frogger Missile Command
Harvest Moon GBC Mr. Nutz
Las Vegas Cool Hand Paperboy
Legend of the River King GBC Rampart
Link's Awakening DX Road Rash
Looney Tunes Smurfs' Nightmare, The
Monopoly Spy vs Spy
Montezuma's Return Tom and Jerry
Ms. Pac-Man: Special Color Edition  
Pac-Man: Special Color Edition  
Pocket Bomberman  
Prince of Persia  
Rats!  
Rugrats Movie, The  
Space Invaders  
Super Breakout  
Titus the Fox  
Wario Land II  

16 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

Hey, a question: since Paperboy has an ending, shouldn't that be the standard for beating it?

Ha, you're right, I thought it went on forever. I'll get that updated.

10 minutes ago, RH said:

Yes, that's the one.  Collection of Mana.

My understanding is that it's a faithful 1:1 emulation of the original, so it should be just fine.

I know I'm late to the debate, but the Gameboy and Gameboy Color are essentially the same system, just beefier.  If there is going to be a stand alone GBC list, then you really only have two choices but it would potentially harm the stand alone GBC list depending how you handle it.

You can either have all GBC (black, see through etc) games only on that list.  Or you overlap the lists for the hybrid only carts and clear them on both at the same time, to me that would make the most sense because they work in both formats.

I know there are a few games that got re-releases, like that Wario Land 2 title brought up, that would also help take care of the overlap.

19 hours ago, Splain said:

Oof, I'll have to take a look at that one. Here's a list of black carts and clear carts that share a title (or add something about "color") with a grey cart. I'm assuming the black carts will be much more likely to be colorized versions of the B&W rom, but in the case of titles that were grey in PAL and didn't get a grey USA release, those are probably going to be matches too. I'll go through these unless anyone already knows about them:

Black carts Clear carts
Asteroids Aladdin
BattleShip Casper
Black Bass: Lure Fishing Klax
Centipede Lucky Luke
Chessmaster Marble Madness
Frogger Missile Command
Harvest Moon GBC Mr. Nutz
Las Vegas Cool Hand Paperboy
Legend of the River King GBC Rampart
Link's Awakening DX Road Rash
Looney Tunes Smurfs' Nightmare, The
Monopoly Spy vs Spy
Montezuma's Return Tom and Jerry
Ms. Pac-Man: Special Color Edition  
Pac-Man: Special Color Edition  
Pocket Bomberman  
Prince of Persia  
Rats!  
Rugrats Movie, The  
Space Invaders  
Super Breakout  
Titus the Fox  
Wario Land II  

Ha, you're right, I thought it went on forever. I'll get that updated.

My understanding is that it's a faithful 1:1 emulation of the original, so it should be just fine.

Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man Color Editions have extra games. Pac-Man has both the original game and Pac-Attack, Ms. has Super Pac-Man IIRC. For that reason, you might argue that you have to finish or top scoreboards in both games on the cart. Then you run into another sticky situation, as Pac-Attack is already a separate cart for grey GB. We may have to check that one too for similarity. If it's the same, then should probably treat Pac-Man Color as an unneeded multi cart, like with the GB carts that are just multi-cart releases of two other separate carts.

Call it Smurfs 2, call it The Smurfs Travel the World, call it Les Schtroumpfs Vont Se Faire Cuire Un Oeuf, or whatever you like -- but it's done:

i1s1sE6.jpg

9pf1WpE.jpg

pU1Zjci.jpg

DGJatXA.jpg

Beaten on Hard difficulty, since I had previous familiarity with the Sega Master System version. This Game Boy version is OK but the smaller screen size is sometimes a problem, and I miss the SMS soundtrack which is one of the best on the system (shame that the game itself is so ridiculously rare).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bucket said:

Alleyway is done. Playing this has become almost a yearly tradition for me now.

20200111_102937.jpg

On a slick white 3DS too, lookin' sharp. I always wished we had gotten the orange model that was demo'd at one time. At least there is the regular New 3DS with orange cover plates. Of course, those plates are going to get really expensive soon (some of them already are!).

• Like 1

I'm still chuggin' along on Pokemon, it's kind of fun playing again after so long. I'm purposely using a ton of Pokemon I've never used before, like Oddish, Clefairy, and Zubat among others. Afterward I'm thinking it's time to take on the never-beaten sports game nightmares. Last year went well for golf games, maybe this year will go well for the dreaded NFL games. Also, I will sadly have to start over my halfway-done playthrough of NBA Jam TE. At least it is a fun sports game though.

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2020 - 19/497

Wheel of Fortune complete. In this version, you only play against 1 opponent instead of the 3 total contestants of the TV game show. The AI in this game is beyond stupid. In 2 of my rounds, their first guess was an X. You would have to really try to lose at this. Lastly, the music is horrendous. The game plays well and is a fine rendition of the game show, but play with the volume down.

gbwheeloffortune.jpg

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
14 minutes ago, Drunktendo64 said:

Wheel of Fortune complete. In this version, you only play against 1 opponent instead of the 3 total contestants of the TV game show. The AI in this game is beyond stupid. In 2 of my rounds, their first guess was an X. You would have to really try to lose at this. Lastly, the music is horrendous. The game plays well and is a fine rendition of the game show, but play with the volume down.

And the text entry is a nightmare. And all the puzzles are dated. I consider this one of the worst games on the system. Probably bottom 5 with all the versions of Jeopardy.

Edit: ok, it's probably not too bad if you play against another human. I just had a really bad experience with this game, lol

Edited by Splain

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2020 - 20/497
19 minutes ago, Splain said:

And the text entry is a nightmare. And all the puzzles are dated. I consider this one of the worst games on the system. Probably bottom 5 with all the versions of Jeopardy.

Edit: ok, it's probably not too bad if you play against another human. I just had a really bad experience with this game, lol

Yeah, it's a rubbish game. The final round always seems so obscure compared to everything else. I was particularly thrilled when the category was "person" and the answer was something like "primary school teacher."

One of the ultimate terrible GB games, NFL Football, is at last beaten. I can't believe it, but I actually got a grasp of how to play it well enough to finish a game. I'm happy too that I capped a screenshot when I did, because after this final results screen, there is absolutely nothing else. The game immediately reboots to the Konami logo.

This one has to be one of the ultimate bad GB games. It is a little bit fun, but I could probably name 100 better games on GB, and I certainly don't suggest going for this one anytime soon. I plan to delve into the GB Madden games this year as well, hopefully they hold the promise of higher quality. To their credit though, I bet Konami squeezed this one into a tiny memory space. Cannot confirm or deny, however. And, I guess getting all the sprites on screen at once was a good accomplishment. Still, it isn't worth much.

bgb00001.bmp

• Like 1