IGNORED

Beat every Game Boy game - 2020 - 225/497

Splain

I can understand his position, but to be honest, GB games are not that long. I feel like maybe he should just cool his release cycle down, or else someone like me should get some free time and do the full experience, 100% runs.

Then again, saying that about myself would mean replaying NBA Jam TE...AND the slower, more boring first version of Jam. I don't know if I could survive, or rather my hand. I might have to make a custom super game boy controller first.

It's done, it's finally done! NBA Jam Tournament Edition is complete! And they want to kill me too!
After much struggle, the Houston Rockets were finally bested by the Houston Rockets. I saw the ending, and it was good. So good in fact, I'm going to replay it on an emulator later on and record it for all to see...unless someone has a link they want to share to save me the trouble.

The interesting part was that at the end, it said "this is an acclaim game! That means the challenge isn't over! Keep playing..." and I was about to dunk my cart off of a cliff when I saw it still says that you are the champ and that you beat every team. What you appear to unlock is called "extended roster mode" where now you can replay the game with 5 players per team to pick from instead of the 3 you get normally. I didn't really go deeper to analyze this yet, but it seems like it might be real players, or it might be the devs inserting themselves for fun. I am going to check and see. It's really an impressive addition given that every char already has their own in-game sprites. Anyway I am calling it for this year. Will post pics later when I get better footage. Thanks all and happy new year! Here's to an even bigger success in 2021.

Edited by koifish
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, koifish said:

I can understand his position, but to be honest, GB games are not that long. I feel like maybe he should just cool his release cycle down, or else someone like me should get some free time and do the full experience, 100% runs.

Maybe we all need to start a collective YouTube channel reviewing and chronicling the joys and pains of completing the Game Boy library...

3 hours ago, koifish said:

It's done, it's finally done! NBA Jam Tournament Edition is complete!

Congratulations!  Great to see that you were able to get it done before the end of the year!  Picking from 5 players sounds interesting, but strange they would hide potentially so many extra playable people behind such a fortified gate.

Happy New Year everyone!

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Floating Platforms said:

Maybe we all need to start a collective YouTube channel reviewing and chronicling the joys and pains of completing the Game Boy library...

This would be fun, we're all experts in at least a few niche games.

I'm going to put up the new thread as a placeholder, I'll get it all updated with NBA Jam TE and all the point values sometime at the end of the day tomorrow (the 1st.) Happy new year all!

• Like 1

That would be fun; anybody got experience making videos?
I figure if we follow a common guideline it would fit together well as a theme. I'd be willing to upload videos if people sent them to me, I already manage a lot of detached social accounts lol

I'd say, the formatting should just be straight, unedited play, demonstrating as best as possible what it's like to play the game. Or, if we have editing chops, we could edit it into the "best of" while doing a spoken review of what it was like playing, including showing the ending, plus tips and tricks we learned along the way (maybe with a big SPOILERS notice for game-winning strats if we thought they are too much).

Unfortunately I don't have a ton of time to edit footage, else I would volunteer for that job. Just putting up some remarks and maybe the ending might be nice though, I feel like there are a lot of GB games that do not have a lot of information out there online.

I tried to beat Final Fantasy Legend 2 in time, but I couldn't do it. And I was even at the final stretch of the game! I should have focused more, but at times I was a bit sick of this game. It is surprisingly tough at times and requires A LOT of grinding, much much more than the first game. And even with almost maxed out HP and the best pieces of armor in the game every enemy encounter became a gamble! The enemies just needed to cast two tornadoes or a similar attack and my group would be wiped! Whoever thought attacks like that were a good idea? The game is either too easy or too difficult, there is barely any middle ground. Now I can understand why a certain person here prefers the first game. The first FFL is indeed just more fun to play, even if the blance isn't perfect there either. But I didn't have to save after EVERY battle, because I could be wiped every fight!

Too bad, because I wanted to finish this and maybe Tiny Toon Adventures 2, but right at the end of the year I received a lot of work and couldn't find enough time to play games.

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I tried to beat Final Fantasy Legend 2 in time, but I couldn't do it. And I was even at the final stretch of the game! I should have focused more, but at times I was a bit sick of this game. It is surprisingly tough at times and requires A LOT of grinding, much much more than the first game. And even with almost maxed out HP and the best pieces of armor in the game every enemy encounter became a gamble! The enemies just needed to cast two tornadoes or a similar attack and my group would be wiped! Whoever thought attacks like that were a good idea? The game is either too easy or too difficult, there is barely any middle ground. Now I can understand why a certain person here prefers the first game. The first FFL is indeed just more fun to play, even if the blance isn't perfect there either. But I didn't have to save after EVERY battle, because I could be wiped every fight!

Too bad, because I wanted to finish this and maybe Tiny Toon Adventures 2, but right at the end of the year I received a lot of work and couldn't find enough time to play games.

FFL2 is one of my most nostalgic games, personally, but it does suffer from something pretty common in JRPGs of that era - a very sudden end-game difficulty wall. It's actually pretty ridiculous, I can pinpoint the exact moment I personally start having trouble in the game every single time, no matter what gear I have or what my group makeup is. I love the game but GODDAMN does it get insane near the end there.

20 hours ago, koifish said:

That would be fun; anybody got experience making videos?
I figure if we follow a common guideline it would fit together well as a theme. I'd be willing to upload videos if people sent them to me, I already manage a lot of detached social accounts lol

Sadly I have a film degree, but I graduated basically right before the digital editing revolution and I never used my degree in the real world, so I have a bit of knowledge on techniques but little practical experience.  Still maybe there's something that can be done.

10 hours ago, Mae247 said:

Looks like it is time for me to pick up where I fell short in 2020 on the GB games

Woah! 2020 was you "falling short?" I guess the group will be breaking this year's record, then

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2020 - 225/497