IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2020 - 677/677 (All Clear!)

scaryice

On 6/20/2020 at 10:05 PM, scaryice said:

The only game left that I've beaten is Metal Mech. I said that I didn't want to do it, but if we get to the final 10 and it's still there... who am I kidding.

I played it for about 10 minutes and it just seemed so aimless. Maybe if I actually figure out what the plot and goal is supposed to be it won't be so bad. I basically walked the robot as far as it could go to the right until I couldn't go any further then quit. I guess I'm supposed to jump out of the robot and go into the buildings??? Fuck if I know. 🤔

I gave Metal Mech a go a couple of months ago and made it about half way through.  For maximum demoralization be sure to play with volume cranked way up.  I had it turned way down and afterward I still felt as if that unrelenting cacophony of blasting/destructing sound FX had taken place physically inside my skull.  Still, it's kind of a unique game with a lot of potential for exploring/maneuvering.

Just lately, I've been working at a very relaxed pace on Battle Tank, Mighty Bomb Jack and Kid Kool; -haven't really buckled down on any one of 'em yet though...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PII said:

I gave Metal Mech a go a couple of months ago and made it about half way through.  For maximum demoralization be sure to play with volume cranked way up.  I had it turned way down and afterward I still felt as if that unrelenting cacophony of blasting/destructing sound FX had taken place physically inside my skull.  Still, it's kind of a unique game with a lot of potential for exploring/maneuvering.

Just lately, I've been working at a very relaxed pace on Battle Tank, Mighty Bomb Jack and Kid Kool; -haven't really buckled down on any one of 'em yet though...

I've got sentimental attachment to mighty bomb jack. IIRC getting the good ending is the real struggle to knocking that one off the list. I would say it's next to impossible to find what's needed to complete it without using a walkthrough. Some things are so well hidden you would spend years looking for them. 

There seem to be a lot of games semi-reserved. Is anyone actively working on or has at least claimed Bill & Ted? I've never played it before, but can it really be that bad?

I can probably get into some of the other flight games, but I need a break. If Bill & Ted is taken, I could try Bases Loaded (again, if it's not claimed yet).

Doing Bill & Ted blind is rough because you are almost finding specific pixels where hidden items are that you may or may not need.  If you use maps or a guide, then it's not so bad, just tedious.

I've still been monitoring the thread and I'm excited at the prospect of finishing off the year pretty soon!  I don't see myself contributing any more though.  I think there's 5 or 6 games left that I've already done but either it would take me too long to get back up to speed or I just don't feel like playing them (like digging up the Power Pad stuff, for instance).  I'll keep an eye out here though, just in case!  Would hate to see things fizzle out if it came down to it.

EDIT: Also Bases Loaded is incredibly easy but an enormous time sink.  Thought someone was working on that but not sure.

Edited by arnpoly

1 hour ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

If Bill & Ted is taken, I could try Bases Loaded (again, if it's not claimed yet).

I'm theoretically working on Bases Loaded, and I used to play it quite a bit as a kid so I'll have no problem picking it up. But I haven't started yet -- all my NES attention has been on Gumshoe, and now Sky Kid. Still happy to do it, but also happy to let you have it if you like.

I definitely want to clear Sky Kid first, as I'm getting closer on that one.

Edited by bronzeshield

13 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

@bronzeshield Go ahead with Bases Loaded. I'll work through Bill & Ted but I'm definitely using a walkthrough 😁

Cool, will do. I have a real cart, and I'm curious to see how it behaves, i.e. whether it crashes at all.

Still plugging away at Sky Kid but it's a tough game -- albeit scrupulously fair in most regards -- and pushes one's risk/reward and perfectionist buttons pretty hard. Still, today I finally figured out how to get maximum hearts from the blue girls, so that's another 5-10k points per run to work with.

33 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

I'll work through Bill & Ted but I'm definitely using a walkthrough 😁

Can you imagine Steven Seagal going through in Bill & Ted movie?? Perhaps going through time and beating up primitive people, dinosaurs or Shakespeare, alongside with smashing head of Tommy Lee Jones, Mexicans and car crashing like in all of his stupid movies

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, VegaVegas said:

Can you imagine Steven Seagal going through in Bill & Ted movie?? Perhaps going through time and beating up primitive people, dinosaurs or Shakespeare, alongside with smashing head of Tommy Lee Jones, Mexicans and car crashing like in all of his stupid movies

I picture him arresting the historical figures in his Steven Seagal: Lawman persona while making the minimal amount of movement possible

I chose this avatar since a podcast I listen to (Action Boyz) rips on Seagal and mentioned the weird photo op with the President of Belarus and random produce items.

On 6/23/2020 at 11:03 AM, BriGuy82 said:

I played it for about 10 minutes and it just seemed so aimless. Maybe if I actually figure out what the plot and goal is supposed to be it won't be so bad. I basically walked the robot as far as it could go to the right until I couldn't go any further then quit. I guess I'm supposed to jump out of the robot and go into the buildings??? Fuck if I know. 🤔

I tried a few of the games left on the list since I don't believe that I've played any of them before. I basically had the same experience, so don't feel bad.

51 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I tried a few of the games left on the list since I don't believe that I've played any of them before. I basically had the same experience, so don't feel bad.

For Metal Mech, there's a key you need to grab in each level. Since you have so much health, it's not too bad to get through levels 1-5 once you know what you're doing. It's the last level which is ridiculously hard, with a huge maze and 1 hit kill respawning enemies.

19 hours ago, scaryice said:

For Metal Mech, there's a key you need to grab in each level. Since you have so much health, it's not too bad to get through levels 1-5 once you know what you're doing. It's the last level which is ridiculously hard, with a huge maze and 1 hit kill respawning enemies.

I didn't even try that one. I tried Track & Field II and Michael Andretti Racing, but did awful at both. I played some Kung Fu Heroes and wasn't really sure what was going on there. Either the hit detection is really bad or I was playing it wrong.

On 6/18/2020 at 10:10 PM, guitarzombie said:

Thanks!  I did them cuz I wanted some help from the community to figure it out.  There was NO info on it, and TBH I dont even know why I started.  I wanted to like the game but it did everything it could for me to not enjoy it haha.  I started to think it was more of a puzzle game, so some of those elements would make more sense for certain rooms.  You should totally find some of the developers and email them!  Those are the developers in the credits so luckily you took a picture to save em.  So yeah do what you want, go crazy, IDGAF.  I wont be much help anymore because I haven't touched it since I beat it a few years ago.  How long did it take you?  It took me 4 hours, and that AFAIK is a record among people who've beaten it.  But from what you were typing I would guess it was shorter than that!

It probably took me closer to eight hours of actual play time across all of my attempts, but I'm not entirely sure. In the notebook I use to record all my completions, I started on 6/16/2020 at 12:04 AM, and I finished on 6/17/2020 at 10:01 PM, but I definitely took some breaks in there. Definitely not four hours for me...

@scaryice Whoa! This is what I get for not logging in for a week. I found a longplay with someone using Paul, whose stats seem to make it a lot easier to reliably get to the bonus level over and over again. If triggering that glitch counts as a win for that mode, I'm definitely going that route; better than spending forever on this one. BTW, if the remaining games list starts getting low and someone's itching to do Rock 'n Ball (Rock 'n' Ball?), feel free to take it; I haven't been religiously (so to speak) working on this one, as I've been spending more time on the Phantasy Star II series (finishing a run of II and doing the first generation of III).

@Tablew/chairs Hats off for knocking out Q*Bert! Probably one of the toughest completions I've done myself (probably harder than The Mutant Virus unless one literally memorizes the enemy spawn patterns—writing them down was enough for me).

Welp, that's a bit of a relief—Mode 1 is done. I was having trouble getting the code to activate at first, and I was actually wondering if I was going to be able to get in a groove and get a glitchless high score by spending by focusing on the left hole and the 10,000-point ramp once the stopper in the middle was activated, but I did finally get the glitch to work. I can always try a glitchless run another time (once I've finished the rest of the NES library or something).

I'm probably going to turn in for the night and see how I fair on mode 2 in the afternoon....

NES-178_rock-n-ball_glitch.jpg

NES-178_rock-n-ball_mode1-win.jpg

Edited by Elkovsky
Forgot to upload images

17 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

@Elkovsky didn't you write the Q Bert guide on GameFAQs? It's the current weekly contest game if you want to play. I haven't played it since the 2013 contest where I barely broke 10,000 points. I doubt I'll do much better this time, but I'll give it a shot.

I did indeed—hard to believe it's been nearly 8 years ago. I decided to give it a shot for the heck of it and managed to get to 4-3 on my first try. After taking my picture at life 0, I kept going on that continue and got destroyed in 5-1, which is where things really start heating up. With a little practice I could probably get back in shape, but I think I'll just leave my score as-is and see how other people do.

Just now, Elkovsky said:

I did indeed—hard to believe it's been nearly 8 years ago. I decided to give it a shot for the heck of it and managed to get to 4-3 on my first try. After taking my picture at life 0, I kept going on that continue and got destroyed in 5-1, which is where things really start heating up. With a little practice I could probably get back in shape, but I think I'll just leave my score as-is and see how other people do.

I only got to 3-1. That's when the game starts to go off the rails for me. It's like trying to solve a Rubik's Cube.