IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2020 - 677/677 (All Clear!)

scaryice

On 2/28/2020 at 11:56 PM, ninjistar said:

Solar Jetman is complete! Pics forthcoming

I last completed this game as a kid. I forgot how incredibly short the ending is. This brief animation, credits, and IT'S OVER. What?! I played the final stage SO MANY TIMES! Reward me!!! 😄

Solar Jetman is a great, underrated game. It's not easy, and it's not one you can just rush through even if you know what you're doing. I'd put it in my top 50, probably.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scaryice said:

Solar Jetman is a great, underrated game. It's not easy, and it's not one you can just rush through even if you know what you're doing. I'd put it in my top 50, probably.

I fully agree. It is absolutely one of my favorite NES games. I love the concept, the music, and the game play.

I actually have never submitted a game completion to the " ... Beat Every Game on X System" thread before. I had just decided that I'd play through this one again since it had been so very long. I saw the thread come up on the main page and checked to see if anyone else had completed it yet. Since no one else did, I thought I'd share 🙂  Honestly, I might be hooked. I fired up Digger T Rock, which I'd never tried before. I didn't realize it was also by Rare. I think it may take me a while to finish it 😄 

• Like 3

On 2/27/2020 at 2:41 PM, Crabmaster2000 said:

Mainly just a personal mission. Was always the plan to collect all the games and beat all the games, just didn't realize when I started it would be such a time consuming endeavor (on both collecting and playing).

What's your pace been like?  I didn't start keeping track until 2013 but i'm at 574 completions.  I imagine I'll start slowing down because at this point I've done most of the quick games so i'm still years from finishing.  But since I was 6 and my neighbor told me that his cousin had "every nintendo game and he's beaten all of them" it's been my goal too. 

2 hours ago, Tablew/chairs said:

What's your pace been like?  I didn't start keeping track until 2013 but i'm at 574 completions.  I imagine I'll start slowing down because at this point I've done most of the quick games so i'm still years from finishing.  But since I was 6 and my neighbor told me that his cousin had "every nintendo game and he's beaten all of them" it's been my goal too. 

It depends on what's been going on in life. When I started in 2011 I was able to do some crazy numbers the first couple years and get nearly half the library down fairly quick. In fall of 2013 I opened a local game store (and still kept my second full time job) so my gaming time was almost non-existent for a bit. Had a second child in 2016 on top of that so it definitely became non-existent. Sold my store and slowed my life back down near the end of 2018. So starting lats year and this year I've been able to keep the pace back up significantly again. Did 118 last year, but was able to knock out many really long of obscure titles so I was really happy with that number. This year is off to a killer start for me as 60 games off my list.

I've got a small stack I'm currently working on that I feel will be the hardest games I have left. If I can take down that stack it should just be a matter of time for the rest of the library to fall!

I bet if I didn't have that 5 year break in the middle we would have been on a pretty similar pace.

Editorials Team · Posted
50 minutes ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

It depends on what's been going on in life. When I started in 2011 I was able to do some crazy numbers the first couple years and get nearly half the library down fairly quick. In fall of 2013 I opened a local game store (and still kept my second full time job) so my gaming time was almost non-existent for a bit. Had a second child in 2016 on top of that so it definitely became non-existent. Sold my store and slowed my life back down near the end of 2018. So starting lats year and this year I've been able to keep the pace back up significantly again. Did 118 last year, but was able to knock out many really long of obscure titles so I was really happy with that number. This year is off to a killer start for me as 60 games off my list.

I've got a small stack I'm currently working on that I feel will be the hardest games I have left. If I can take down that stack it should just be a matter of time for the rest of the library to fall!

I bet if I didn't have that 5 year break in the middle we would have been on a pretty similar pace.

You guys are nuts.  I'm close to 400 SNES completions, but progress is down to a near halt.  410-420 is probably where I'll end up.

• Like 1

Hey, did I just get the 500th victory with AD&D: Dragonstrike?

1P3sCiQ.png

C6WQfBj.png

Beaten on Medium difficulty with the Gold dragon.

Last time I played on real hardware, but I've been worried about the stability of my setup, so I played in an emulator this time...which, hilariously, crashed right after I got these screenshots. Glad it waited until after Tiamat was done!

BTW I'm at around 200 licensed NES wins (plus 50 unlicensed and/or games from other regions). But some of them need to be replayed for various reasons, e.g. I beat the game when I was a kid but may have used a code or slowdown, so I'm probably at more like 160-170.

(Generally, I also don't count the game as beaten until I've completed the highest difficulty setting. Funnily enough, I think Dragonstrike is the only game that's affected at the moment, since I haven't done Hard yet.)

Edited by bronzeshield
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Tablew/chairs said:

Tetris 2- I played through 50 levels and then accidentally hit "end" instead of "retry" so that added several hours to what was already going to be a time consuming completion

I did the same thing when I beat it. I remember watching TMR play it on Twitch and he did it too. It's so easy to accidentally do!

We didn't hit 500 games until July 20th last year, so things are looking good:

2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020
50 2-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan
100 4-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 2-Jan 3-Jan
150 9-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 2-Jan 2-Jan 1-Jan 2-Jan 5-Jan 5-Jan
200 16-Jan 3-Jan 3-Jan 3-Jan 3-Jan 2-Jan 4-Jan 10-Jan 8-Jan
250 29-Jan 7-Jan 6-Jan 4-Jan 5-Jan 4-Jan 6-Jan 22-Jan 11-Jan
300 6-Feb 14-Jan 11-Jan 6-Jan 8-Jan 10-Jan 9-Jan 14-Feb 17-Jan
350 17-Mar 25-Jan 17-Jan 10-Jan 12-Jan 16-Jan 15-Jan 19-Mar 22-Jan
400 26-Apr 17-Feb 26-Jan 16-Jan 19-Jan 27-Jan 30-Jan 14-Apr 30-Jan
450 7-Jun 2-May 16-Feb 21-Jan 31-Jan 7-Feb 10-Mar 19-May 14-Feb
500 22-Jul 10-Jul 9-Mar 31-Jan 21-Feb 10-Apr 11-Jul 20-Jul 1-Mar
550 16-Aug 8-Nov 7-Jun 10-Feb 21-Apr 2-Sep 13-Nov 21-Oct  
600 14-Oct xxx 13-Sep 24-Feb 29-May xxx xxx xxx  
650 30-Nov xxx xxx 8-Apr 26-Aug xxx xxx xxx  
677 31-Dec xxx xxx 12-Jun 13-Dec xxx xxx xxx  

Total 677 562 638 677 677 589 582 587  

Just wanted to give shout outs to Kid Dracula, mbd39 and Table/chairs for helping me out with Xevious, Bump n Jump and Tetris 2 respectively. All three offered some great tips for these games and thanks to their insight probably saved me many hours when I beat these 3 this last week. I know they are already done for the thread, just wanted to say a public thanks to these guys. Really happy that the awesome community spirit that was at Nintendoage migrated over here. Really appreciate the help guys!

• Like 4

On 3/6/2020 at 9:39 AM, Crabmaster2000 said:

That's one of those games that AVGN did that everyone takes as serious and started putting on "top x hardest games lists". It's not even hard for a shmups.

Totally agree. I often say Silver Surfer isn’t even in the top 5 hardest shumps on the NES, let alone top 5 overall hardest. Not that the game is easy, just that it’s actual difficulty pales in comparison to its perception.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 10:59 PM, Kid Dracula said:

Yes as long as you power up the entire game is a breeze.

Low G man done! Actually really enjoyed this one. Taxan released some solid titles. Or maybe my bar is set too low haha. 

Always glad to see Low G Man get some love! Very underrated game IMO. I agree that Taxan released some great ones, particularly the ones developed by KID (GI Joe ARAH, Burai Fighter, & Low G Man). 

Speaking of KID games, I recently played and beat Trolls in Crazyland (it doesn’t count for the thread, I know). Since it never got a NA release I was playing a repro cart. It’s a pretty good game. I want to like it more, but the problem is the jumping controls were inconsistent - particularly the jumps. Often times the game would register random short jumps, which resulted in not making it across pits and dying. So frustrating.

I’m hoping that maybe it is just an issue with the way my particular repro cart was programmed, and not the actual game. I actually just ordered a repro of the Japanese version Doki Doki Yuuenchi from a different company, so I’m hoping this one won’t have that issue.