IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2020 - 677/677 (All Clear!)

scaryice

Fester's Quest is done.

And I have started Battleship, so no one else should bother with it.

@NESfiend

Thanks for your encouragement. I'm sure my rate will start to slow here soon, as the ones I know to be short and easy are getting pretty scarce. But I hope to keep pushing and see if we can knock out the whole list. This competition has actually never failed on a leap year, so we have that in our favor at least.

2 hours ago, Kid Dracula said:

Keep up the pace guys! I had to take a break for a week or so as I hadn't played that many games in that short of time in many years. I don't know how Nerdy does it month after month let alone year after year!

I think he's beaten most of these games before, so it makes it easier to just run through them again. You guys were having a close race for first, but he's starting to pull away for yet another first place finish.

This gets me zero points for the competition, but I finished Lagrange Point yesterday:

XkjRicX.png

Quite a long game, but ultimately somewhat disappointing as I mentioned earlier. The battles are just too boring, with very little strategy, and the encounter rate is super high. It doesn't make sense to use your super moves either, because they take away health. On the plus side, the music is good, and it's cool to have switchable party members and weapon combining. I enjoyed exploring the overworld maps too (but not so much the dungeons). The world was interesting, but the overall plot was nothing special. So some things were nice, but overall I just expected more from Konami.

Metal Max came out within a month of this game in 1991, and although it lacked balance, to me that was a much more interesting and enjoyable game.

• Like 1

Too bad with Lagrange Point. I had hoped that it would be some kind of "hidden gem". Is there any chance that Famicom/Pal game will one day be included? Or maybe as a separate challenge? Anyway, good job on clearing it, @scaryice.

I've been taking a short break from all this dragon questing and played some Final Fantasy. I have never played the NES version for more than maybe a few minutes, so it's a somewhat fresh experience for me. On the one hand it holds up very well and is mechanically a bit more engaging/complex than at least Dragon Warrior/Quest I and II, but on the other hand the difficulty is quite off or at least some of the enemies are woefully unbalanced, imho.

For example enemies constantly deal status effects which is very annoying. I had it happen to me that I was fighting against 8 or so Ghasts/Wights, or whatever they're called, and they were keeping me stun locked. I just couldn't do anything except for sitting there for like 5 or 10 minutes or so and watch them slowly killing my party. Or a bit later many enemies have death spells against one or multiple targets. These enemies have wiped my party multiple times. This is really unfair, when there are no resurrection items or easily affordeable resurrection spells. Or sometimes enemies cast multiple spells against my group that deal anything between 40 and 200 damage on every character. Mute of course didn't work even a single time! I feel like DW/DQ balanced this better and due to that I actually had more fun with those game. However, the presentation and especially the music are still great. I guess it just took Squaresoft a little bit longer to put out really excellent and polished games? Or maybe this is just criticising on a high level.

6 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

@scaryice(Ignore, can't delete on mobile) 

I've been taking a short break from all this dragon questing and played some Final Fantasy. I have never played the NES version for more than maybe a few minutes, so it's a somewhat fresh experience for me. On the one hand it holds up very well and is mechanically a bit more engaging/complex than at least Dragon Warrior/Quest I and II, but on the other hand the difficulty is quite off or at least some of the enemies are woefully unbalanced, imho.

For example enemies constantly deal status effects which is very annoying. I had it happen to me that I was fighting against 8 or so Ghasts/Wights, or whatever they're called, and they were keeping me stun locked. I just couldn't do anything except for sitting there for like 5 or 10 minutes or so and watch them slowly killing my party. Or a bit later many enemies have death spells against one or multiple targets. These enemies have wiped my party multiple times. This is really unfair, when there are no resurrection items or easily affordeable resurrection spells. Or sometimes enemies cast multiple spells against my group that deal anything between 40 and 200 damage on every character. Mute of course didn't work even a single time! I feel like DW/DQ balanced this better and due to that I actually had more fun with those game. However, the presentation and especially the music are still great. I guess it just took Squaresoft a little bit longer to put out really excellent and polished games? Or maybe this is just criticising on a high level.

I've also been playing through Final Fantasy for the first time (and getting close to the end). Paralysis is a real pain early on so I always focused on taking out those enemies first or using a multi target spell like HARM or HRM2 which most Paralysis inflicting enemies are weak to. If there are too many strong enemies, I've learned that it's far better to just run especially in dungeons. I also grinded a bit towards the beginning to get a head start.

You will eventually get the resurrection spell LIFE, but not until you have a level 5 spell slot. At this point in the game I feel like I've been progressing much faster than I'm getting spell slots for. I keep having to go back once I finally unlock a new level of spell. 

Now that I've looked up and understand how the battle system works, fighting is pretty fun. Except for the part where each individual attack is a series of 2-4 5 second unskippable text boxes (and god forbid if you use a multi target spell on 9 enemies, you'll have a full 2 minutes or so before you can do anything else). Also it's amazing how many things are just flat out broken in the NES version. 

I started on heavy shreddin' last night and made some decent progress. Got about half way thru after way too many tries. Have a feeling the second half is going to get crazy difficult. I'll post again if I give up so others know to give it a shot. 

Like lots of NES games, pretty good game if you can overlook some randomly placed very difficult jumps, sequences, etc. Best part is the scary, but kind of hot, very dark image of an 80s chick with a serious face and even more serious perm. At the end of each level, she appears with a caption that says, "Good" or "smooth". I think more work went into drawing that womans face than all of animation during gameplay. 

Edit: Here she is. The rest of this game is essentially stick figures and trees. So odd. 

20200226_171901.jpg

Edited by NESfiend

3 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Just beat Alpha Mission which I realize has already been beaten for this thread. Just wanted to share it because it was my 550th licensed NES game beaten!

Cool you've kept track and 550 is really impressive. Are you keeping track for a blog or video review of some sort or just a personal mission to beat the whole library?Very cool either way. 

Edited by NESfiend

23 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I started on heavy shreddin' last night and made some decent progress. Got about half way thru after way too many tries. Have a feeling the second half is going to get crazy difficult. I'll post again if I give up so others know to give it a shot. 

Like lots of NES games, pretty good game if you can overlook some randomly placed very difficult jumps, sequences, etc. Best part is the scary, but kind of hot, very dark image of an 80s chick with a serious face and even more serious perm. At the end of each level, she appears with a caption that says, "Good" or "smooth". I think more work went into drawing that womans face than all of animation during gameplay. 

Edit: Here she is. The rest of this game is essentially stick figures and trees. So odd. 

20200226_171901.jpg

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Cool you've kept track and 550 is really impressive. Are you keeping track for a blog or video review of some sort or just a personal mission to beat the whole library?Very cool either way. 

Mainly just a personal mission. Was always the plan to collect all the games and beat all the games, just didn't realize when I started it would be such a time consuming endeavor (on both collecting and playing).

On 2/26/2020 at 1:37 PM, NESfiend said:

20200226_171901.jpg

Getting a kinda Grace Slick ca. Starship vibe from that one:

5TjI2v2.jpg

Star Voyager is done:

PjYWzIH.png

iFQVeh0.png

NTZaTCB.png

Irritating that the damage RNG can so easily make or break an otherwise good run ("Close to victory? Whoops, there goes your laser cannon!"), and that the game apparently regenerates the motherships you kill if you leave the sector without clearing out all of the cannon fodder ships. I like the Starmaster/WarpSpeed approach better, where the game's more transparent about the number of ships in an area. Oh, well.

I beat Castle of Dragon!

Wasn't there recently a thread about games you wish were good? Castle of Dragon would be my pick for that. on paper this game sounds incredible for an 8bit game: Ghosts 'n Goblins like action mixed with action RPG elements in a medieval setting with relatively complex swordplay reminiscent of Zelda II and big, colorful sprites. Unfortunately the gameplay elements don't really work all that well. Enemies just run mercilessly into you or bosses fill the screen with almost unavoidable projectiles and meanwhile you have no mercy period after getting hit, so that your life bar can run out within a matter of seconds. You really have to accommodate to the strange mechanics and find tricks to cheese the AI. Sometimes I also get hit or can't hurt a boss for no apparent reason. Especially the final boss was really hard and took me many tries. All of this has to be done with only one life, too. Luckily the game is very short so that you can get back to the final boss relatively quickly. But I wished the game was a bit more polished and easier and that it had more content instead of just making it incredibly difficult to drag out the playtime. Anyway, it's not a terrible game, but a very flawed one.

Castle of Dragon.jpg