IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2020 - 677/677 (All Clear!)

scaryice

2 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I played Isolated Warrior and was wondering why this game still wasn't beaten. Yeah, the perspective may be unusual and definitely requires some time to get used to, but other than that it's a fine game. And thanks to the unlimited continues it's not too difficult to beat.

That was until I noticed that the final level was locked and that it could only be unlocked by beating the 6 stages without using a continue. Now this explained a lot.

It took a bit of practice, but in the end I did it without too much stress. I think it was still easier than beating any of the Contra games on hard. However, I died on the final boss and had to use a continue. Does this still count as completed? I at least got this ending screen:

Isolated Warrior.jpg

I agree that Isolated Warrior is an underrated game that is quite fun and unique. It’s been a couple years since I played it, but when I did I actually played through the 2nd quest, with the only difference being it’s a slightly higher difficulty. Beating it shows the credits after the ending cutscenes.

To answer your question, I’m pretty sure you’re good with using a continue on Stage 7. As long as you got to stage 7 (via not using a continue up to that point) then you are okay to use them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I played Isolated Warrior and was wondering why this game still wasn't beaten. Yeah, the perspective may be unusual and definitely requires some time to get used to, but other than that it's a fine game. And thanks to the unlimited continues it's not too difficult to beat.

That was until I noticed that the final level was locked and that it could only be unlocked by beating the 6 stages without using a continue. Now this explained a lot.

It took a bit of practice, but in the end I did it without too much stress. I think it was still easier than beating any of the Contra games on hard. However, I died on the final boss and had to use a continue. Does this still count as completed? I at least got this ending screen:

Isolated Warrior.jpg

I think that it counts as completed as long as you unlock the last stage and get the proper ending. You get end credits if you complete two loops with the second loop being a little tougher. I managed to do that once. Be glad that isn't the requirement lol.

• Like 1

I beat Tom & Jerry. I hate this game. It may not be one of the worst NES games, but levels 4-2 and 5-2 were some of the worst and most frustrating levels of recent memory. This game really suffers from blind jumps, enemies coming out of nowhere and a weird maze-like structure of the levels that makes you constantly wonder where to go next. Some of the jumps in the later levels are really tricky, too, even if it wasn't for the barrage of enemies that come at you. At least there is the possibility to grind a bunch of lives in certain spots by amassing a lot of points. While this may offset some of the ridiculous difficulty and cheap design of the game, it causes the pacing of this game to become painfully slow. The only interesting part of the game was the music since it reminded me of the Follin brothers and some of the tunes they did for Silver Surfer etc. And guess what, Geoff Follin actually made the music for this game.

Tom and Jerry.jpg

Tom and Jerry Credits.jpg

Incredible Crash Dummies is done.

PS: @Gaia Gensouki

As I watch the credits on Crash Dummies, I see that it was also scored by Geoff Follin.

And

@NESfiend

Are you still doing M.C. Kids? How is that going? Honestly, I've not played more than the first few levels of it. I've been meaning to play it through one of these years, but if you're good on it I'll let you finish it this year.

And

@ ... Everybody

I'm pretty close to starting Battleship, if no one else has. Speak now if you've started it or are burning to do it this year.

Edited by nerdynebraskan

Isolated Warrior is a good game for sure. I think it's just a less commonly found cart so it never got much attention.

I've been playing Lagrange Point on Famicom the past week or so. Music is awesome, but the battle system is not great. It's starting to open up some which is making it more exciting, but I'd say overall it's a bit disappointing so far. Maybe that's just because I expect a lot from 8-bit Konami. It reminds me of the Phantasy Star series more than anything.

Edited by scaryice

@nerdynebraskan It's too bad that the talent of the Follin brothers was usually wasted on mostly mediocre games. Had their music been featured in better games they could have elevated those even more. It's also really funny when you listen to top X0 NES songs list or something like that and you suddenly see a game like Pictionary and wonder why anyone would pick the music of such a game as a contender for the best music on the system. And then you listen and everything becomes clear.

@scaryice That would explain why Isolated Warrior is so rarely talked about. Also, Lagrange Point is a game that I've been wanting to own/play for years now, because it always looked so cool. And a polished Konami take on the Phantasy Star series sounds not that bad.

I have finally beaten Dragon Quest III aka Dragon Warrior III. What a fantastic game! It's too bad that the story was somewhat spoiled to me beforehand, but if I think about the kids in the late 80s playing this for the first time I imagine that their minds were probably blown away. It was just great and fun and I have a hard time imagining that an 8bit RPG could get any better than this.

And this is really weird considering that my first proper DW/DQ game was the eigth installment on the PS2. I didn't know the series except for the Dragon Warrior Monsters game which I thought was just a cheap Pokemon ripoff (lol in hindsight). DQVIII didn't even feature the number in the title back in the day since it was the first mainline game of this series to come to Europe, so it wouldn't make any sense otherwise. And back then I just played all kinds of RPGs I could get my hands on. Unfortunately, it somehow bored me because I felt that it was too "basic" compared to stuff like Final Fantasy or the Xenosaga series with their epic and/or complex stories and complex character progression. So back then I didn't get into this series and always wondered why others thought that it was so great. But this somehow changed upon replaying the classics of all things! That's when I started to fall in love with this series and I would now consider myself a fan. Despite the grindy nature of these games they're still a lot of fun and filled with charm.

During my playthrough I noticed that I got along very well with monks. They easily took most enemies apart and I only got some trouble later on as their armor class started to become lacking and enemy magic spells would hurt them quite a lot. Other character classes could at least obtain armor that would reduce spell or breath damage by 33% which makes a big difference later on. But thanks to the Sage's Stone I could still defeat the big baddy "relatively" easily. Well, at least it worked on my first try at level 40+. I thought about changing their classes, because I thought that it would be fun to have super fast and powerful warriors that I could equip with the Falcon Sword and then attack the enemies with two powerful strikes per turn. But unfortunately the level gains are extremely low after a class change. So you would probably want a character to change their class very early, i.e. at level 20, so that you can still profit from their stat gains. This also meant that I couldn't get an extremely fast and sturdy Sage either, because their stat increases were so low, that they were pretty much useless. This is why I reloaded my save file and just finished the game with the three Monks and my hero.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant. But this was a big and impactful game. Also, with this completion I should now have over 200 points! It will however take a few days or so until I get to play the next game, which will probably be DQ/DW IV. I am now curious to see if they can somehow top this one.

Dragon Quest III.jpg

Edited by Gaia Gensouki

@nerdynebraskan

Predictably, I got about 90% through MC Kids when my son reset it. Cant keep a game on for multiple days anymore. I'm trying to get back into it, but remembering less than I thought I would. I'm torn because I badly want to play anything else, but I'm too far into this thing to put it back on the shelf. 

I just beat Superman for the first time. There were definitely a couple of things in there that I wouldn't have been able to figure out without a walkthrough. It reminds me of CastleVania II; both are games that require exploration but are full of NPCs that just say useless crap. Still, it was pretty nice to see the ending of a game that I rented several times growing up.

@NESfiend

Good luck with MC Kids. If you give up on it, let me know. I need to beat it one of these years...

@bronzeshield

I never had the patience for Ring King, but given some of the games you've beaten I know you'll get it done.

@MaarioS

Yeah, that between-round animation is... unfortunate. What are you playing at the moment? I know there are several games left on this list that you can handle.

• Like 1

Ring King is done:

8Wgdj2b.jpg

The problem with this game isn't how it plays, or even how long it drags on. It's that, at a basic level, it's dishonest about how it works.

For instance, if my Punch and Speed stats are higher than those of my opponent, I should do more damage and move faster -- but instead, the game totals up your overall skill points (including Stamina, an otherwise nearly-meaningless stat) and uses that as the basis for assessing who moves faster and hits harder.

Or, if my overall points are higher, then I should outclass my opponent, right? Well, sometimes the game "anoints" one of its boxers, and no matter how much better your stats are, he'll comprehensively whoop you. Or sometimes it does the reverse, and a superior opponent (in training, at least) will succumb quickly -- including the very same boxer that just beat you badly. It makes no sense.

Fortunately I discovered very late in the game that if you camp out in the lower-left corner facing upward, the CPU gets confused and defends poorly. I used that to take out the World #2 and #1 despite having underqualified stats.

BTW I'm amused to see that a few sites have passwords (which I obviously didn't use) with "SLAYER 1" as your boxer's name: the same name I always used when I played this game as a kid! I suppose it's a pretty obvious choice, since the game forces you to re-enter your name every time you input a password, so the lowest-effort solution is best.

Edited by bronzeshield
misremembered a detail
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

Fortunately I discovered very late in the game that if you camp out in the lower-left corner facing upward, the CPU gets confused and defends poorly. I used that to take out the World #2 and #1 despite having underqualified stats.

Thank you! Was planning to start this soon and that sounds like it'll save a lot of frustration 🙂

• Like 1