IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2020 - 677/677 (All Clear!)

scaryice

I thought it was about time to complete a NES game or two for a change since Dragon Quest III will take quite some time. So I have played and hopefully completed Caveman Games.

I played the competition over and over again until I finally got highscores in every competition and finished with 240 points. And I actually found myself quite enjoying the various mini games and the challenge. The games may be quite primitive, but they still have at least some depth to them so that you have to do more than simply pressing A as fast as possible.

Caveman Games.jpg

15 hours ago, Tablew/chairs said:

dance aerobics

Feel free to do all the Power Pad games! I think they're easy for how many points they're worth.

8 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Eliminator boat duel is done. Holy crap that took a lot of tries. The last 3 races are ridiculously hard. But the game was so much fun up to that point, I didn't mind the 5 million tries. Great game.

I find it interesting that this is one of the new free Switch games. Kind of an obscure title to throw in there.

7 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms is done. I think this gets me the Koei crown again this year.

No bonus points this year, but yeah, you got it for the 5th year in a row!

Played through Al Unser Jr's Turbo Racing on Valentine's Day. Spent way too much time at the start making sure I did extremely well in the first few races in case the game got really hard near the end. Ended up doubling the next closest racers score when I was finished so didn't need all those restarts. It was a decent racer besides the 2nd place racer had the worst rubber band physics I've seen. Track C is a great song too!

On 2/16/2020 at 7:44 AM, scaryice said:

I find it interesting that this is one of the new free Switch games. Kind of an obscure title to throw in there.

The other NES game coming to switch on the 19th is shadow of the ninja. Clearly whatever person or board decides on what to release wanted to put out some of the libraries best unknown games. Both awesome games that aren't on the classics list. 

I don't have a switch, but wish I did to check out the two SNES (Japanese only releases) games that get added the same day. The tennis one looks really good compared to the tennis games released in the US. 

Edited by NESfiend

35 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Congrats on reaching 100 points, fiend. That's not an easy task. And neither is beating Dusty Diamond. I may have beat you to LLWS, but that one is a cakewalk compared to Dusty Diamond. What's next for you?

Thanks! Plan was to go through Tecmo Cup Soccer next. Its such a huge time commitment though. May not last if I don't have the skill I used to, which is a big possibility. I am combing the list for other games to play while I work on that to mix it up and maybe grab some points. That list is really thinning out though. 

• Like 1

Hurray! I finally beat the first round of Raid on Bungeling Bay on Mode B. This may sound easy, but the game got incredibly difficult later on. Instead of making several levels they made only one, but with the destruction of each of the six factories the game got incrementally more difficult. So this one map felt like a whole game with 6 "stages". For anyone who's interested, Will Wright, the creator of this game, gave a talk at GDC about his game, which you can find below. It's a highly recommended watch as he talks more about the underlying mechanics of the game and the creation process.

Raid on Bungeling Bay.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Hurray! I finally beat the first round of Raid on Bungeling Bay on Mode B. This may sound easy, but the game got incredibly difficult later on. Instead of making several levels they made only one, but with the destruction of each of the six factories the game got incrementally more difficult. So this one map felt like a whole game with 6 "stages". For anyone who's interested, Will Wright, the creator of this game, gave a talk at GDC about his game, which you can find below. It's a highly recommended watch as he talks more about the underlying mechanics of the game and the creation process.

This is the next game for my blog.  😄  At least I know better on what to prepare for!

• Like 1

Wurm is done.

I'm also now a Commander in Star Trek: The Next Generation, so it seems I'm pretty close to nailing this one. (And it'll be a first-time clear, too!) It's been a nice one to play off and on since it's in pretty short bursts between passwords. I'll need another game with bite-sized passwords when I'm done with this one. Has anyone started Battleship? I might go back to that when I'm done with TNG.

Edited by nerdynebraskan

Jordan vs Bird is done. Just posting the one on one score. Have pics of 3 pt contest and slam dunk contest, but they are pretty blah, so just posting the 1 on 1 as it came down to the wire. 

Never played this game before. The one on one is fun once you get the quirky controls. The slam dunk contest is the same way. 3 pt contest is useless as there is no CPU and you play as both players. 

What drove me nuts is there is no pause. I forgot 5 million times and when you press start, it resets to the screen where you choose a mode. Basically a full reset. Screw that crap. 

20200217_202204.jpg

Worked on M.C. kids for quite a while last night. Assuming my kid doesn't unplug the NES or reset it (happens here and there), should be done tonight or tomorrow. I'm sure Nebraskan or a few others could beat it at a much faster pace, but I've actually enjoyed the game and have been checking out levels I don't really need to since I've never gotten real deep into it. Aside from the cheesy McDonald's aspect, it's a pretty good hybrid between Mario 3 and chip n dale. 

• Like 1

In Dragon Quest III I have so far acquired 5 out of 6 orbs and opened up the Necrogond Cave. I'm expecting a lot of grinding about now, but even with that it probably shouldn't take too long to finish this game now. And until now I got through the game pretty easily with my 3 monks. They're really strong, but now there are more and more enemies that can take a lot of dmage and that cast spells all the time. So now I am starting to have trouble with healing. Maybe I will change classes with one or two of them after all. So far they have great stats with attack and speed somewhere around 140 or 150 each and over 200 hit points despite not even having level 30. Currently they're mostly held back by not being able to equip stronger weapons and armor.

Beat Sword Master and Mystery Quest over the last few days. Neither was overly enjoyable. 

EDIT: Also you can update the win condition on Mystery Quest to 4 loops. Definitely didn't have anything to do with maxing out my score since I died and continued thus resetting my score. 

Edited by Crabmaster2000

9 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Beat Sword Master and Mystery Quest over the last few days. Neither was overly enjoyable. 

I like the first level of sword master. By level 3 or 4, I couldn't fathom playing enough of that junk to beat it. Had thought about trying again when there were fewer games available. Glad that won't be an option . 

I played Isolated Warrior and was wondering why this game still wasn't beaten. Yeah, the perspective may be unusual and definitely requires some time to get used to, but other than that it's a fine game. And thanks to the unlimited continues it's not too difficult to beat.

That was until I noticed that the final level was locked and that it could only be unlocked by beating the 6 stages without using a continue. Now this explained a lot.

It took a bit of practice, but in the end I did it without too much stress. I think it was still easier than beating any of the Contra games on hard. However, I died on the final boss and had to use a continue. Does this still count as completed? I at least got this ending screen:

Isolated Warrior.jpg