IGNORED

Donations and Subscriptions

Gloves

Administrator · Posted

Hey all!

One of the most-requested features is "let me throw money at you", and who are we to deny you that pleasure? We've added the "Store" tab to the main navigation at the top of the site with both a Donation and a Subscription feature, as well as links to view and manage your transactions.

For transparency's sake, right now the total costs of running the site itself are around the $45 USD mark, and I've added $20 to that total for our Donation Goals to account for image hosting costs (moving to Amazon S3 soon).

But Gloves, what if you get so many donations that you have excess funds?

Damn that'd be cool eh? You guys are too cool. There are no SET plans at the moment and we're always open to feedback. My CURRENT plan is to pool excess funds for a rainy day where monthly subs/donations don't meet the requirements; BUT if we find ourselves really just sitting on a bunch of funds I want to put it straight back into the community with physical prizes to give out to Event winners, maybe something nice for top contributors, and potentially some sort of homebrew support fund.

Let me know your thoughts, and thanks once again for all the support!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Glad to contribute to the cause!

And while Gloves is such a gentleman, don't let him trivialize the costs.  The costs move directly with user activity, and if we get a ton of active users logged in at all times, then the monthly recurring costs go up significantly.  

In other words, just because it seems cheap today does not mean it will be cheap tomorrow.  If you're passionate about helping the cause please consider contributing!

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

What are the differences in subscription level besides $?

Nothing at the moment. I just know that some people have asked me to be able to give more than $5/month so I wanted to let them do so. You DO get access to a sub-only forum, and in there I have a thread asking for feedback on what sort of stuff people would like for different tiers, if anything.

2 minutes ago, m308gunner said:

Is that $45 a month/week/year/day?

$45/mth.

That said, to Jone's point - it can definitely go up pretty significantly based on usage. Early days!

Just keep banking whatever surplus you get.   Like Jone said (and you already know) the monthly costs can go up.

Plus there may be update and feature software fees down the road as well.   Better to have too much than not enough and have to scramble.

Administrator · Posted
27 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Just keep banking whatever surplus you get.   Like Jone said (and you already know) the monthly costs can go up.

Plus there may be update and feature software fees down the road as well.   Better to have too much than not enough and have to scramble.

That's absolutely the plan! By "excess" I definitely mean well enough in excess of the needed funds that even if we go up a tier or two in the costs we'll still be good for at least a year. If we ever get into a super comfy or "profitable" state, the hope is to put it back into the community somehow.

Administrator · Posted

We all appreciate it - and we thank you very much.  And we thank everyone for your support and contributions!  As some have mentioned, any amount helps, and the VGS team is committed to using any funds to making this place the best it can be.  

Thank you to everyone 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, thinking I can get more money into the pot with a few ebay sales.  I'll take my $5 I would donate and buy something to fix and sell, then I will donate the proceeds instead.  In fact, I did just sell a small transistor radio on ebay for $60 that I only paid $1 for..  So, profit is yours! I just put $50 into the ring. 🙂  Good luck gents!!DONATE.thumb.PNG.ae435678487871950acd3fc5f767a88b.PNG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Moderator · Posted
6 minutes ago, CMDLineKing said:

So, thinking I can get more money into the pot with a few ebay sales.  I'll take my $5 I would donate and buy something to fix and sell, then I will donate the proceeds instead.  In fact, I did just sell a small transistor radio on ebay for $60 that I only paid $1 for..  So, profit is yours! I just put $50 into the ring. 🙂  Good luck gents!!DONATE.thumb.PNG.ae435678487871950acd3fc5f767a88b.PNG

Thanks dude!

• Thanks 1