IGNORED

What's new in your collection/Pick-up Thread !!!

Galdius

9 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

I'm shocked to hear that - your photos always look so professional! You should seriously make a thread that's just a gallery of your game pictures or something.

-CasualCart

Oh come on, here are so much interesting photos, i don't think mine are the best. 😄

Photography is just one of mine hobby i using mostly for taking pics of my family.

Some nice pickups this week. Stinger and DK3 are hangtabs and in really nice condition. I can't pass up a really minty Contra at a good price, even if I already have a few copies. Cliffhanger will need an upgrade due to some tape on the bottom, but damn that game is hard to find mint.

IMG_20191215_144044.thumb.jpg.b73e42bbd4da5a6f56f7421a092daa06.jpg

I have a weakness for SNES RPGs. I'd sit at home and play them all day if I didn't have a job or family. I played the original Lufia for about 40-50 hours when I was in college, but quit because it got horribly repetitive. I dabbled with Lufia II and thought it seemed great, but never owned it until now. I booted it up and immediately realized the soundtrack is bangin'.

IMG_20191215_150213.thumb.jpg.37bc388ccd52ceffdec906e535b28538.jpg

Lastly, here are the variants I mentioned last time. Eventually I'll create a definitive NES box variant thread, but for now I'll just post my pickups. In this pic you see a No-Promo Chip N' Dale, No-Promo Battle Tank (horrible condition, sadly), No-Promo TMNT II, Black Box Hollywood Squares (still haven't been able to locate the version of the manual that goes with it), Red 4-Player Play Action Football, and Blue Untouchables.

IMG_20191215_144446__01.thumb.jpg.07446b8b65e61ee3af4e0f513fe666d1.jpg

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 4

On 12/15/2019 at 3:42 PM, DoctorEncore said:

Lastly, here are the variants I mentioned last time. Eventually I'll create a definitive NES box variant thread, but for now I'll just post my pickups. In this pic you see a No-Promo Chip N' Dale, No-Promo Battle Tank (horrible condition, sadly), No-Promo TMNT II, Black Box Hollywood Squares (still haven't been able to locate the version of the manual that goes with it), Red 4-Player Play Action Football, and Blue Untouchables.

I don't think there is a black hollywood squares manual.  Unless you are referring to a specific -variant or something?  Not a stark difference like the black / blue box though.

1 hour ago, jonebone said:

I don't think there is a black hollywood squares manual.  Unless you are referring to a specific -variant or something?  Not a stark difference like the black / blue box though.

Several people on NA insisted it exists (https://connect.gocollect.com/discussion/10982/black-label-hollywood-squares@Braveheart69 ) and there were pics. Unfortunately all the pics are gone due to the GoCollect fiasco. The only one I could find is a tiny one from Google images. The blue Hollywood Squares part appears to have just been replaced by the black cover.

I have never seen this variant on eBay or in person, but it does seem to exist.

Screenshot_20191109-190901__01.jpg

12 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Several people on NA insisted it exists (https://connect.gocollect.com/discussion/10982/black-label-hollywood-squares@Braveheart69 ) and there were pics. Unfortunately all the pics are gone due to the GoCollect fiasco. The only one I could find is a tiny one from Google images. The blue Hollywood Squares part appears to have just been replaced by the black cover.

Screenshot_20191109-190901__01.jpg

Ah, I had it confused with the cart then.  The cart variant does not exist in black, just the manual.  I knew it was one of them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

I found a picture in the thread that Braveheart69 linked to (https://connect.gocollect.com/discussion/29/variation-scans-needed/p9). The picture was provided by @Dr. Morbis.

HollywoodSquaresmanual.jpgHollywoodSquares.jpg

In fact, it looks like he bought it sealed and opened it up. I found this listing in the_wizard_666's game contents list which I assume is Dr. Morbis' copy.

Hollywood Squares (Black Version)
     - Cartridge (NES-HL-USA, blue)
     - Box (NES-HL-USA-1, black)
     - Manual (NES-HL-USA, blue)
     - Gametek Poster/Advert (GAM-NES-US-2)
     - Gametek Registration Card (GAM-NES-US)
     - Nintendo Power Subscription Card (PMG-AA-USA)
     - Flat Black Dust Sleeve
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I found a picture in the thread that Braveheart69 linked to (https://connect.gocollect.com/discussion/29/variation-scans-needed/p9). The picture was provided by @Dr. Morbis.

HollywoodSquaresmanual.jpgHollywoodSquares.jpg

In fact, it looks like he bought it sealed and opened it up. I found this listing in the_wizard_666's game contents list which I assume is Dr. Morbis' copy.

Hollywood Squares (Black Version)
     - Cartridge (NES-HL-USA, blue)
     - Box (NES-HL-USA-1, black)
     - Manual (NES-HL-USA, blue)
     - Gametek Poster/Advert (GAM-NES-US-2)
     - Gametek Registration Card (GAM-NES-US)
     - Nintendo Power Subscription Card (PMG-AA-USA)
     - Flat Black Dust Sleeve

Nice detective work. If his sealed black box copy really did come with the original blue manual, that would explain why there are so few black manuals out there. They must've thrown leftover blue manuals in with the first bunch of -1 box revisions and only produced a small quantity of the -1/black box manuals.

On 12/17/2019 at 2:01 PM, DoctorEncore said:

Nice detective work. If his sealed black box copy really did come with the original blue manual, that would explain why there are so few black manuals out there. They must've thrown leftover blue manuals in with the first bunch of -1 box revisions and only produced a small quantity of the -1/black box manuals.

All you had to do was ask. 

IMG_20191218_201948.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

All you had to do was ask. 

IMG_20191218_201948.jpg

You beautiful son of a bitch. Now I know who to tag for these issues.

6 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, my copy of Hollywood Squares came sealed with a blue manual in a black box.  I actually had to track down the black manual variant separately...

That suuuuuccccckkkkksssss. That might make this one of the rarest manuals in the library. In fact, I can only think of two major manual variants that even exist.

2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

That suuuuuccccckkkkksssss. That might make this one of the rarest manuals in the library. In fact, I can only think of two major manual variants that even exist.

I would say non -1 Athletic World and non -1 Mega Man 6 would be less common. That Mega Man 6 would be a major variant I think, different cover artwork.

35 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I would say non -1 Athletic World and non -1 Mega Man 6 would be less common. That Mega Man 6 would be a major variant I think, different cover artwork.

Good points. Has anyone ever seen a no-revision Mega Man 6 manual? Maybe in the Brazilian market? I'd love to see what cover art it has. What do we have to do to convince @Forte to open his copy? 😋

Interesting that the first major revision to the Athletic World manual didn't get a -1 modifier. I'm guessing that one came in the white cardboard box with the extra title flap on the bottom.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20191219-102958__01.thumb.jpg.f943a174b82ad9887e6735d376796a72.jpgScreenshot_20191219-102654__01.thumb.jpg.4ca1a20cd47a39f37d480c05af1dca85.jpgScreenshot_20191219-102734__01.thumb.jpg.650f351926ebd810a1c6044da737dbfc.jpg

UPDATE: Nevermind, I found it.

Screenshot_20191219-103608__01.jpg.0a114a08f365cc537c22751e58f84e78.jpg

Edited by DoctorEncore

Haven't posted in a while so here is a big one. This is maybe almost 3 weeks of stuff? Kind of ridiculous but I can explain!

• Scribblenauts, Runbow, Terraria x2, and Tomodachi Life: Got these in a trade. I already had a Nintendo Selects version of Tomodachi but super happy to have a first print finally, now I'm Nintendo-Selects-free in my 3DS collection!
  • HeartGold, I traded someone a Pokeball Plus and $120 for this, 100% complete, with a sealed copy of the game inside. I already had HeartGold (the inner box) CIB, so I swapped that out and will sell the sealed game. Have a loose Pokewalker too and right now I'm thinking I keep both Pokewalkers. Feels good to finally have this 100% complete. 
  • The loose GBA/GBC games were from a super cheap haul I posted in another thread, these are the games I plan to keep from that haul. 
  • Kero Blaster, ordered this from 1Print Games and it finally arrived, was not cheap though (shipping was $16!!!), but man is it a nice package, the booklet even has a message from Daisuke Amaya. 
  • Deus Ex, Madworld and the Amiibo 3 pack were GameStop pickups today. The first two I couldn't pass up at these prices, nice clean CIB copies too, and then I saw the Amiibo and was like "OK, I want it." I also picked up Bakugan Battle Brawlers for Wii CIB for $0.89, no idea why it was marked so cheap, but hey, for that price I'll buy almost anything. 
  • My Friend Pedro was a GameStop $17 daily deal. 
  • Luminous Avenger IX was ordered through LRG, took quite a while to finally arrive. 
  • Pokemon Sword was a Facebook Daily Steal at $38, and it was actually the US version, phew. 
  • Hello Kitty Seasons and Cranium Kabooki, well, some friends were headed to a thrift store and I asked them to let me know what was in the video game section, of course it was mostly the most common schlock, but I spotted these two in the picture they sent me and said why not. In the end my friends gifted these to me, so can't argue with that. 
  • Fire Emblem Path of Radiance Strategy guide was just a lot of patiently waiting for a deal on eBay, I think it was $24? Something like that. 
  • Slay the Spire and Wargroove were on sale from Best Buy, I think $19.99 and $29.99. 
  • NES Online controllers, they were on sale for $29.99, had to do it. 

miami_slice_2019-12-19.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

16 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

It depends on what you count as a variant.  If you're going -1's and star manuals and whatnot, there are hundreds upon hundreds; if you're like me and you're only going for major variants, the black and white Data East ones are pretty hard to track down, Black Hollywood Squares as mentioned, black Rad Racer I remember being tricky, and the common Athletic World manuals are technically the variants: the original manual is the Family Fun Fitness version...

7 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

It depends on what you count as a variant.  If you're going -1's and star manuals and whatnot, there are hundreds upon hundreds; if you're like me and you're only going for major variants, the black and white Data East ones are pretty hard to track down, Black Hollywood Squares as mentioned, black Rad Racer I remember being tricky, and the common Athletic World manuals are technically the variants: the original manual is the Family Fun Fitness version...

I'm only interested in the major variants for manuals since you never really see them in a CIB collection. I never knew about the Data East variants, I'll have to look them up. The only other one I'd mention is Flying Dragon which had an entirely different cover art. I don't count Mega Man 6 since it never actually released in the USA.

2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I'm only interested in the major variants for manuals since you never really see them in a CIB collection. I never knew about the Data East variants, I'll have to look them up. The only other one I'd mention is Flying Dragon which had an entirely different cover art. I don't count Mega Man 6 since it never actually released in the USA.

Mega Man 6 was released here with different art on the box, cartridge and manual. Well, the same art, just with a border around it. It's more common as a Playtronic version in Brazil but does exist with North American branding.

17 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Mega Man 6 was released here with different art on the box, cartridge and manual. Well, the same art, just with a border around it. It's more common as a Playtronic version in Brazil but does exist with North American branding.

Hmmm, I was under the impression based on all my research and the discussions on NA and elsewhere that it never actually made it to retail here in the US. Everyone seemed to agree that the few copies that were printed before Capcom got cold feet were sent to South America and that's why you really only see it on their auction sites. That would also explain why it's by far the rarest variant of anything on the NES. Personally, I don't count it as required for a full variant set. @Fortegot his copy from a Canadian seller who couldn't explain where it came from.

Anyways I'll stop talking about it since we're hijacking this thread. When I get the box variant thread up, we can do some more detective work there.

Edited by DoctorEncore