IGNORED

What's new in your collection/Pick-up Thread !!!

Galdius

On 12/31/2019 at 9:31 PM, Californication said:

I almost bought that. In the end, it seemed like a great deal, but I didn't want to go down that road of buying pc engine games. I hope it works out. The guy seemed honest to me.

I want to say he is too, but it's starting to stretch the imagination.  Back on Dec 30th in the evening I wrote him about it.  Two shorter blocks of sentences, the first exampling out the problem titles and what they were doing.  The second I'll just paste it: Do you know what I need to do at this rate with the thing to make it right as the only interest I had in it was discs and now that part of it is dying.  And before you ask I did attempt to clean the laser in case, and also did a fast search and I can tell this isn't some misaligned pot issue either.  I don't know if the unit itself inside the PCE has its own set of caps, if the laser is just dying, but I'm pretty solid it's not the motor itself or gears as it's still functional, just with much slowness, pauses and clicking on VG.

I have yet to get a word, and he has been online plenty of times since.  I've had to rely on someone in the states who I got a slick deal on 3 basic CD/SCDs from to deal with it.  I did all the testing required with the top off, played with the pots, cleaned this and that, and so on by his instruction and what I could dig up from this very helpful japanese documentation of it.  In the end I for a time had 2/3 games mostly/totally mitigated the problem and the worst still sucked but a little less.  But then going more into it with the helper, I did a big close one over with a magnifier and a good eye.  I found more questions and one answer, a sensor that the laser carriage meets was dislodged, tried to snap it into place because before hand the motor went tot he outer right and stopped cold.  I opened the switch up and found the spring was snapped, so it couldn't make contact to work, I rigged it a bit, the motor seemed to work but was a bit louder, and I also from the side noticed the spindle seemed a bit wobbly.  I'm thinking some customs jerk on either end tossed it, squished it, hit it, something and fubar'd the entire or partial assembly of the laser/motor/sensor up so it's basically an oversized Core Grafx for the moment.  My friend is confident he can re-align the pots and address the laser issue(s) but the mail says it won't arrive until Monday, so I'm out yet another week without what I paid for and it's going to cost me at least $20+ parts and hopefully not too bad.  I'm kind of pissed and every right to be.  See even if it was customs, problem is that he says he never did anything with the CD side of it assuming it worked, and the box didn't appear crushed, so I have no idea where the issues came from on either side of it.  I'm already not about to be paying too damn  much on it considering probably $10 shipping each way, $20 + parts, it sucks.

Hero of Legend Tonma is a JP/US loose $40 HuCard.  I'll end up selling it and probably the other 2 commons to cover the damages which was not my intent.  I'll see how heavy the bill is, even the black dye of the plastic is not entirely good on the shell either as its faded in spaces.  I was more interested in the VG fighter, Panic Bomber, and L-Dis shooter CDs, the rest just came with it. (Be Ball and Victory Run being the other 2 cards.)  And I still have my Core Grafx2 which when this is resolved will go, or if the Duo is fubar, kept and the damn thing sold as a repair job to cover as much as I can.  I probably should have PayPal hit that thing, but being international wasn't sure how that would go down.

• Sad 1

Update on all the magazines & strategy guides, finally managed to go through the whole pile, took pictures of each one for posterity and had to upload in two separate albums since it's 64 pieces in all: Album 1, Album 2

Favorite pieces are definitely the Minish Cap and Thousand Year Door strategy guides (needed those), the unofficial Banjo Kazooie guide which is AFAIK a very early Brady Games guide and way more edgy than their later stuff, and my Nintendo Power issue 100 which I thought I had lost. 

That Super Smash Bros Brawl guide was a duplicate but fortunately my brother had kept the poster, my other copy was missing that. So consider it an upgrade 🙂

I am not planning to keep that PC Gamer mag with the Star Trek cover, sheesh. 

• Like 2

I'm loving seeing those towers of Gameboy games and in their little dust cases too which is a nice touch.

You know not all bad came out of this DUO mess.  The day I had to ship it off, my Japanese package arrived with Gradius II CD in it. Which at first glance should be depressing, but despite my distaste of pay for emulation especially in the 90s (pre/mobile pay stuff now) I did in fact register Magic Engine nearly 25 years ago and it still works, and still have a KEY for it.  I can play it on my PC. 😄  Same with my other CD/SCDs legit/burns too, and if I just had to do it, I could plug the core grafx in to twiddle time on those hucards.

13 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'm loving seeing those towers of Gameboy games and in their little dust cases too which is a nice touch.

Oh yeah, that was icing on the cake.  When I started GB collecting, I wasn’t going to keep my games in dust covers, even though I would always pick up games and lots with them when that was an option. However, after stashing them in boxes and boxes and now with this lot, I probably have enough for %60-70 of my collection, so I’m changing my mind and I’m going to use them.

I'd use them too but I don't want to pay like $2-3 a piece for them from some hoarder.  I think I showed a pic of it before, but I've got an antique wooden 2 drawer file card system thing (think old library dewey decimal system) and it's fairly deep.  It can hold 2 columns in each drawer of GB through GBA games so it can hold a lot.  If I did use the cases and I've got maybe a dozen, it wouldn't any more.

I had some odd dumb luck today.  I probably should do a before and after picture for laughs but I'm lazy.

I went into this goodwill which goes through the longest dry spells of being just awful, not jut overpriced awful, just downright lacking but it was on my path as it usually is anyway usually going to my kids school.  I walk in and the behind the counter stuff, junk, other than this nice book set until I realized #1 of the 7 is missing (Narnia from 1970) so I left it.  DVD rack, nothing as usual, head towards the CDs and I see this 3DS case, and it's lame Lego Avengers but I figure for $2 why not...then I open it and the game is missing...damn, nope, it's Pokemon Ultra Moon. 😄

I turn around and it's a shopping cart parking lot going around the corner, in the first one I spot something I hadn't seen in awhile, and it was $6, untestable other than it powered on but figured meh... a Bose Wave Music System w/CD, damn thing needs a remote or it's a doorstop but I grabbed it.  Also found this really bizarre item for also $2 complete in the box, dirty as all get out a fairly modern repop of a Stylophone.  So I get out for under $12.

I get this stuff home, and I have a Bose I got from another a few years back (the wave radio 2) and thankfully the remotes are close enough, confirmed it worked 100%, jackpot! (it's like a $80-100 radio.)  Then the stylophone was funky but about 10min of cleaning it looks surprisingly excellent so I toss in 3 AAs and it works 100%.

If you're curious what that is and how it can sound here's one in use

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

Yesterday I received the other 4 boxes I mailed myself from my parents house via UPS. I unloaded all the boxes last night but I’m still going through everything and sorting what’s there. So far I’ve gone through the rest of the GameCube stuff, the NES stuff and Game Boy stuff. First pic is the GameCube games I didn’t already have, I also did a bunch of upgrades with dupes that aren’t pictured, it’s crazy how many GameCube games I got through eBay or Mercari or Reddit in the past year that ended up having cuts in the plastic or wavy cover art or rips in the manuals or even missing inserts.

03FF8B58-A033-428B-BEED-886B7F69BF4D.thumb.jpeg.50c64e0ca4d227a5cbc2a2c4f42b5978.jpeg

Next is the NES Z-bag my mom found at Goodwill, turns out this color combo is rare, I’m glad to have this.592A5F2E-E96C-4DC7-B1F6-E119005C27AF.thumb.jpeg.ae8cc75ae60fcee6113ec9fb65f4ca16.jpeg

I’ll be selling or trading everything that was in here as I don’t need any more loose NES carts.

Lastly here’s what I managed to salvage of Game Boy stuff in 3 pics.

First, the games that are all complete and in good condition, plus a bonus Game Boy Pocket my mom found. The first column is games that belonged to my brother, the second is games that originally belonged to me. There were also 5 dupes not pictured.

718DF2C4-4FE0-4DDE-BF2B-9905D792B4B7.thumb.jpeg.f5cb0f9e8ef70e9406aa7bb0addd7822.jpeg

Second, these are games that are incomplete or in bad shape. Mega Man Zero 4 and Super Breakout / Battlezone i can fix. The rest are missing key stuff. Almost all are missing the trays. Most are missing manuals. These sting to look at because I had them in really nice shape... don’t know what happened. Was really hoping the Kirby games would have survived. At least they are commons, maybe someday I will replace them. In the meantime I will probably sell the boxes and various manuals because completing these looks like a headache.

A9DE549A-49A5-42D0-A82F-A3D782DD2CD6.thumb.jpeg.fbf9b1c6c24e3b8b6b8819c4130b1353.jpeg

Last are the loose games, some of these used to have boxes, and maybe there is a tote somewhere my mom never found that has them all, but oh well. Also Car Battler Joe was my brother’s, that’s a nice one.63FF2567-7FFA-413F-97E6-DFA571D66EC2.thumb.jpeg.9b9fee40b3bd2de54c03b1b4c02ba312.jpeg

Still have a bunch to go through!

Edited by MiamiSlice
Corrected a small typo
  • Like 5

Here are a few uncommon/rare pickups this week. Completed my Kick Master which I've been working on for the last year. Found a beautiful R.C. Pro Am II and a decent Goal! Two.IMG_20200105_205205.thumb.jpg.cadc07ebd97ce3a9897e4b7b041bfd01.jpg

The next pic shows the Rampart I bought NIB to open for the Sealed NES Contents thread. A really nice Marble Madness I bought for the poster, a decent Ski or Die, and the Non-Rev A version of Rad Racer.

IMG_20200105_205322.thumb.jpg.10361976f3502cb92bcf67e12ac475e2.jpg

I just can't get over how hilarious the screenshots on the back of this version of Rad Racer are. Who thought it was a good idea to use all four screenshots to show a car crashing? And why does the chronology of the crash proceed from top to middle to right to left? I love it.

IMG_20200105_205624.thumb.jpg.e809616702052e45908829a40188f22b.jpg

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

By chance, I happened to be at the Brockton Westgate Mall this weekend and noticed the Gamestop there is closing it's doors. New/preowned games were 40-50% off and collectible merch 60-80% off. The Nintendo section was pretty much decimated and the XB1/PS4 sections starting to look thin, but I still managed to grab for myself Planescape/Icewind Dale collection, RE7 Gold Edition, and a sweet Atari hat. Called up my buddy @Pendragonx and went down his want list until I found a Wii U Pro controller and CIB pre-owned copy of Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator. All-in-all, paid $80 for everything.

1555818673_IMG_20200105_215049943_HDR2.thumb.jpg.61e4b65638aea99fc17ef49b59a7bb22.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Tam B said:

My complete Nintendo Power collection. All issues, 1-285, with all posters/inserts intact.

Complete Nintendo Power Collection.jpg

1. How? Would love to hear the story behind how you acquired this. 

2. Totally up to you but if you could make a high quality scan of the GameCube memory card sticker sheets from issues 152 and 165 I would be very grateful.