IGNORED

Game Boy Weekly Contest Round 5: Dead Heat Scramble

Red

Hello and welcome to the fifth round of the Game Boy Weekly Contest!  This week's game is Dead Heat Scramble.

Rules:

- Play until you beat the game or Game Over

-You may choose any car

-Highest score wins

-Be careful!  The preset High Scores are pretty high (lowest is 600,000).  If your score is below that, I'd recommend pausing your game right before the timer runs out to get your score.  If you don't, you'll only have a couple seconds to take your picture.

-If you pause the game to get your score, you may round it up to the nearest thousand.

-You have until 11:00 PM EST on Sunday, January 5, 2020 to submit your score.

For general contest rules, click here:

https://www.videogamesage.com/topic/1468-game-boy-weekly-contest-leaderboard-rules-20192020/

Good luck and have fun!

SCOREBOARD:

1. 1,339,780 (0xDEAFC0DE) +11
2. 1,336,880 (BriGuy82) +10
3. 867,300 (arnpoly) +9
4. 790,660 (koifish) +8
5. 676,940 (Splain) +7
6. 229,000 (ecmyers) +6
7. 102,000 (Ausden) +5

Edited by Red

[Old picture] 

Finally cleared stage 6 without continues. I've also played through the rest with continues and stage 9 and 10 seem nearly impossible without a lot of luck. Has anyone figured out what's the difference between the cars? They all feel the same to me. 

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE

On 1/2/2020 at 1:06 AM, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

[Old picture] 

Finally cleared stage 6 without continues. I've also played through the rest with continues and stage 9 and 10 seem nearly impossible without a lot of luck. Has anyone figured out what's the difference between the cars? They all feel the same to me. 

Did you do that on or after January 1?  If so, you could post about it here.

Edited by Red

I have no shame in saying this is my least favorite GB game so far in the contest, and perhaps my least favorite of all the GB games I've played in the last year, with the exception of true crap like Pit-Fighter or Escape from Camp Deadly. That said, here is my only entry. I won't subject myself to any more of this one!

bgb00050.bmp

8 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

IMG_20200105_194259.thumb.jpg.56ea64b83794ffdbd6c59f707e7f6ac0.jpg

Well, I wasn't really intending to play this again, but I figured I would try one more time for the Beat every Gameboy game contest. To my surprise, I cleared stage 8 without continues. There's no way I'll every clear stage 9 without continues so this is pretty much my max score.

Nice job, yeah I think I was on stage 9 too. And I agree, i wouldn't have been able to make it any further without continues either. I should've just continued to beat it for that other thread but I wasn't thinking. 😥

11 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

Nice job, yeah I think I was on stage 9 too. And I agree, i wouldn't have been able to make it any further without continues either. I should've just continued to beat it for that other thread but I wasn't thinking. 😥

I got you covered, I just finished it and posted. Wow just noticed you updated your score. You've pretty much tied me, but I guess I got a bit more luck.

Also, at this point I feel like the cars are all the same. I've switched back and forth and haven't ever noticed a difference.

Well, my actual high score just now was 334,940 (stage 3) but I couldn't pause in time to get a photo, and then I was basically done. Unfortunately I couldn't try this out until an hour ago because of a stomach bug going through my family. The game isn't too bad, but the hardest thing was holding down the A button the whole time; it might be better playing on something better than a GBA SP, or if they had made B accelerate and A jump--I'm finding it actually painful to play it for long! I also should have looked at the manual first, because I think the power-ups are key. Ah well. Happy New Year!

Oh, and I see I grabbed an old Post-It in my haste as well. That should say "ecmyers" 😕

IMG_20200105_220749234.jpg

Editorials Team · Posted

Here's my "happy to be here" score. This game is definitely more fun than I thought it would be, but it's not one of the masterpieces or anything. If I get clocks, I move to the next level. No clocks, my run ends. I also didn't notice any difference between the cars, but I always did way better with the offroad truck than with any other car, and I couldn't tell you why. The manual doesn't mention any differences.

3yhhSZG.jpg

2 hours ago, koifish said:

I have no shame in saying this is my least favorite GB game so far in the contest, and perhaps my least favorite of all the GB games I've played in the last year, with the exception of true crap like Pit-Fighter or Escape from Camp Deadly. That said, here is my only entry. I won't subject myself to any more of this one!

bgb00050.bmp 67.55 kB · 2 downloads

Would you happen to have another picture that also includes your user name written or typed on a piece of paper?