Sign in to follow this  
GPX

CIB grading vs Qualified grading

Since WATA/CIB grading, do you have any new appreciation of “Qualified “ games?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Any new appreciation for the “Qualified”?

• No, “Qualified” game still doesn’t make any sense to me!
    • No, grading of games suck!
    • Yes, a little. I still won’t be seeking them out though.
    • Yes, I might collect a few and see how it goes.
    • Yes, I’m now fond of “Qualified”, and will not hesitate to buy under the right circumstances.

With the increasing popularity of WATA and CIB grading, I’m curious to know if this will set off a chain reaction of other niche markets of collecting. More specifically, will this trigger more interest in those games which qualify under the label of “Qualified” under VGA grading subgroup?

For those not in the know, a “Qualified” game means a game that is brand new (with unused contents) but either:

- has its original factory seal broken, or

- box is opened but contents remain unused.

The key distinction between a CIB game vs Qualified game, is that contents are used vs unused, respectively. Also, a CIB game may have some missing contents eg. pamphlets/maps/posters, whereas a “Qualified” game technically comes with ALL original contents that came with factory productions.

TLDR - anyone with newfound love for the “Qualified”?

18 hours ago, Domuhnator said:

Qualified = CIB Imo. I would still buy a qualified game but only if the price is about where the CIB price should be.

Qualified = BNIB (Brand New in Box, opened)

I see Qualified as the love child of a CIB and a sealed game. It’s an in-between.

No, I wasn't a fan of Qualified grading then and still don't care for it now.  Though I will admit that Qualified grading prices have seemed to do quite well over the last year with the rise in popularity of Wata CIB grading.  

There's nothing wrong with CIB games, so I certainly won't pay a graded premium for a very nice CIB game masquerading as brand new. But I mean for mint CIB price, sure.

On 12/31/2019 at 2:45 AM, jonebone said:

No, I wasn't a fan of Qualified grading then and still don't care for it now.  Though I will admit that Qualified grading prices have seemed to do quite well over the last year with the rise in popularity of Wata CIB grading.  

I think Qualified games will have different meaning (or value) depending on which part of the world you’re from. By that, I mean in some countries (eg. Australia), a lot of the games here did not come with factory seals eg. SNES/N64.

So it’s much more common to see “Qualified” grading over here in Oz, compared with the standard VGA rating. Accordingly, they are priced under the normal VGA rating but typically are sold at a higher price than a mint CIB. The examples that I’ve noticed:

-  “Qualified” Zelda Ocarina Oz* vs MIB Zelda Ocarina Oz = 4:1

- “Qualified” Conkers BFD Oz* vs MIB Conkers BFD Oz = 5:1

*(referencing Q85+)

————

@jonebone, have you noticed a significant price increase of Q games (particularly gold grades) relative to the MIB? Curious to know what the ratio is like for the US counterparts.

Qualified was great in theory and bad in practice. VGA f’d up bad with those. I’ve gone into detail a bunch of times on it but VGA screwed the pooch.

For example I have two games that are actual Q’s. Pretty high-end too. One of them was opened the one and only time at VGA 🤦‍♂️. But, then you have others like the Castlevania I posted on another thread that was clearly opened, having the wrong inserts and manual. That is inexcusable.

People do pay a premium and I would have loved it if VGA would have handled it properly as I think the market would be much bigger for them if they had. I love the concept but don’t pay more than I would for a CIB Wata counterpart. 

On 1/1/2020 at 1:21 PM, MinusWorlds said:

Qualified was great in theory and bad in practice. VGA f’d up bad with those. I’ve gone into detail a bunch of times on it but VGA screwed the pooch.

For example I have two games that are actual Q’s. Pretty high-end too. One of them was opened the one and only time at VGA 🤦‍♂️. But, then you have others like the Castlevania I posted on another thread that was clearly opened, having the wrong inserts and manual. That is inexcusable.

People do pay a premium and I would have loved it if VGA would have handled it properly as I think the market would be much bigger for them if they had. I love the concept but don’t pay more than I would for a CIB Wata counterpart. 

What you highlighted were 2 examples that possibly went wrong. You need to weigh them all up with what also went right. This should be the main focus on any grading services - the relative pros versus the relative cons. Bearing in mind also that VGA probably has made other errors in their standard (non-Qualified) grading and WATA isn’t error-less in what they do in the past couple of years too. 

From my end, I am a witness of some positives with the Qualified scale. 2 examples being that I sent off 2 games on separate occasions, thinking they were legit new (but opened), having bought them as old retail stock. They were both rejected because:

- one had a slightly used cart with very minor wear to the label

- one had missing consumer pamphlets

Whilst it initially annoyed me that the games were rejected, it made me feel more reassured that the Qualified ratings does help to rule out the majority of the mint CIBs masquerading as brand new.