IGNORED

Anyone else here like to collect and cook on cast iron pans?

Mae247

I have some but don't really go out of my way to "collect" per say but I will pick them up if I come across any older ones cheap out in the wilds as generally some people stop using them because they think they are ruined from rusting and shit, nor know how to restore/maintain them. This reminds me I need to salvage what cast irons my mom had unless my sisters already got to them as dad sure isn't going to use them. 

42 minutes ago, MrMark0673 said:

Geez, no love for gloves and his history of using a dishwasher.

Like gloves, I don’t use cookware that can’t be thrown in the dishwasher.  I cook and eat food like a normal person, but don’t use or collect cast iron cookware.

It takes all of a few minutes to give pots and pans a quick scrub, rinse, and towel dry after supper.  There isn't really much reason to run them through the dishwasher in the first place, to where cast iron would be a special case.

2 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

It takes all of a few minutes to give pots and pans a quick scrub, rinse, and towel dry after supper.  There isn't really much reason to run them through the dishwasher in the first place, to where cast iron would be a special case.

Two essentially full time jobs, a daughter who eats a totally unrelated meal to me and wife, amongst other things, I’ll save a few minutes anywhere I can.

Someone who utilizes a dishwasher for its intended purpose isn’t lazy, they just choose a convenience over a different method of cooking.

23 hours ago, Tulpa said:

I have two, both Lodge brand. The smaller one I've had forever, the larger one is somewhat newer. Need to re-season the larger one sometime soon.

IMG_20191227_104302152.jpg

I have like the same setup haha, I have two lodge pans as well - one the size up from your big one, and yer big one size. I want a smaller one, originally got the big big one for camping (which is perfect, everything in one pan) but it's so huge it might only get used once a year.

22 minutes ago, m308gunner said:

Collect? No. But use? All the dang time. I will add that proper pre-heating is key to an effortless cleanup, depending on the meal being prepared. I cook eggs in mine all the time with no muss or fuss. It's practically non-stick at this point.

Key word PREHEATING haha. Gotta get it to temp first.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 12/27/2019 at 8:53 AM, arch_8ngel said:

Once what starts flaking off?

Case iron lasts forever unless you make a habit of soaking it in the sink.

Anyone using cast iron should get a stainless steel chainmail scrubber.  They are the best scouring pad I have found that is reusable.

Nothing should be flaking off of your pan...

Got a set of these Lodge and looked up how to take care of them. Been using it like crazy (probably 30-50 times) really a great piece if you use them properly. 
BB948BB3-4DF1-4517-B918-F72CD02B11FD.jpeg.1f52caab401351f95ab06e9812bb9b37.jpeg51DCE226-99BE-436F-B6E7-26390DC4B570.jpeg.5f4eb499f3a2517e7d3d869af69bc058.jpeg

For cleaning, I have found scraping it with a plastic scraper while still warm and cleaning with warm water is the combo. I also put a few drops of olive oil on it after washing. 

• Like 2

I've been using cast iron more and more.  At first I washed it too much and didn't season after use. Now I cook, scrape and rinse without detergent. Then I set on a low heat burner to dry and rub with oil.  It's getting a nice finish again.

I may remove the factory seasoning and do my own. I have a really small cast iron pan that has a smooth finish on the bottom but maintains a nice slick layer. It's really nice to cook on.  It's really only used for a quick fried egg on a taco.

Edited by zeppelin03