IGNORED

New to the PS4 in Dec. 2019

I started collecting for the PS4 in 2018 and own most of the games I want to own. Although I own a decent library,  I didn't buy a PS4 console because I was working through my backlog and figured I would play when the PS5 was released. 

This month I went to my local game store and I had enough store credit to get a PS4 and figured what the heck; why wait another year?

I created this thread because I would like to share my opinions on games as someone new to the PS4 scene as it's nearing the end of the generation.

Edited by Californication

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first four games I tries are Furi, Mega Man 11, Resident Evil 7, Valfaris.

Resident Evil 7 was super disappointing. I got about an hour into it and realized I hadn't done anything yet so I googled it. Fck that game, I traded it in. Now the question is whether to get rid of Outlast Trilogy.

Furi, I played through the training mode. I like the game, but set it aside for now. Seems like it is going to take some getting used to.

Mega Man 11 - What a game! I am not even a Mega Man fan, but this game is something else. The levels are beautiful, the gear mechanics blend perfectly, the music is solid, and man it is tough as balls. I beat one boss and am getting pretty comfortable on several levels. 

Valfaris - Wow!!! The Youtube videos don't do it justice. I thought the level design was going to be flat, lol. The levels are beautiful, theres a huge amount of weapons and I am only in the third area, choosing between keeping or using the thing for savepoints is simple, but genius, and it is tough, but fair.

Don't flame me, but I think it is better than both of the 16 bit Contra games.

7 hours ago, Californication said:

Mega Man 11 - What a game! I am not even a Mega Man fan, but this game is something else. The levels are beautiful, the gear mechanics blend perfectly, the music is solid, and man it is tough as balls. I beat one boss and am getting pretty comfortable on several levels. 

Maybe you are a Mega Man fan?

I feel like this is the first real classic Mega Man we've gotten since MM6 (even 7 and 8 feel a bit strange). It really understands what made the classic NES games fun, and it doesn't rely on frustrating trial-and-error level design like the two Inti games (MM9 and 10). The only issue I have with it is that the stages run a little too long, but I really enjoyed it for feeling so much like Mega Man.

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

I feel like this is the first real classic Mega Man we've gotten since MM6 (even 7 and 8 feel a bit strange). It really understands what made the classic NES games fun, and it doesn't rely on frustrating trial-and-error level design like the two Inti games (MM9 and 10). The only issue I have with it is that the stages run a little too long, but I really enjoyed it for feeling so much like Mega Man.

I find it weird that you'd say 11 is more like a classic MM than 9/10. It's clear that Capcom wanted to try something new with 11, and not make an NES style game. it's still a solid experience, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the two previous games which felt more like super-polished 8-bit titles. In fact, if you ask me, 9 is the best game in the entire series (including the X games).

RE7 for sure is a whole different game than any of the previous ones but personally to me it had its own charm (its a blast if you play it on the PSVR too)  

Furi, I think I may be one of few that didn't like this one and this is coming from a soulsborne fan, took me forever on the 1 battle and I don't even think I got past it or what really happened now but it pissed me off enough I never went back to it lol, maybe one day I will try again.

MM11 I liked just about as much as any of the other mega man titles which is not a bad thing.

Valfaris I need to give some more time too as well, I liked what little bit I did play it 

2 hours ago, scaryice said:

I find it weird that you'd say 11 is more like a classic MM than 9/10. It's clear that Capcom wanted to try something new with 11, and not make an NES style game. it's still a solid experience, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the two previous games which felt more like super-polished 8-bit titles. In fact, if you ask me, 9 is the best game in the entire series (including the X games).

Better than X-X4? Those are the highlight of the Mega Man games for me. That's a bold statement. I have Megam Man Legacy Collection Vol. 2, I was going to sell it without playing it, lol. I'll pop it in.

Edit: I just watched videos on 10 and it looks really solid.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 4:18 PM, scaryice said:

Not saying MM11 is "NES style", I'm saying it feels like a real Mega Man game. Of course those feel like similar statements, but I do agree that 11 moves the series "forward" in a very subtle manner, but it doesn't keep it from feeling like the classics.

9 and 10 look the part of course, being modeled largely after genuine NES graphics. But outside of that I think they feel distinctly different from the original NES Mega Man games, going for an approach more similar to what Battle Kid(!) is doing. I wouldn't say they are bad games, but I'm a pretty huge Mega Man fan, I love all six games on the NES, and 9 and 10 just don't really do anything for me. The level design seems to break all the "rules" set by the originals, while 11 just "gets it".

In case of "something new", I'll admit I'm not a fan of the double gear system in MM11. I don't think it adds anything to the game. On the other hand, it really doesn't break it anywhere like I imagined it. It's not really possible to abuse it anywhere near as hard as I feared.

So I completed 5 levels in Mega Man 11 and it's still a really enjoyable game. I think the difficulty is just right. 

I tried out 9 for about an hour. I like yhe music, graphics, and I died alot. I can easily see enjoying 9-11, which will want me to revisit 1-7. When I first bough 1-6 it was at a time when I first played, shadow of the ninja, vice project doom and others and Mega Man didn't seem fun. Now that I have some experience under my belt, it might be a good time to revisit and repurchase the originals. 

In addition to playing MM11 this week, I opened up Salt and Sanctuary and Super Hydorah.

Salt and Sanctuary felt about how I expected. I killed two bosses and I wouldn't say its equal ro Dark Souls, but a solid 2d representation. I could see getting bored faster than I do in a Souls game.

Super Hydorah - what a pretty little game. I was on the fence about this one and after playing this is a must own for me. I can only get to the second stage final boss so far, the difficulty is up there, the controls feel much better than Sine Mora did, I am a little confused about the upgrade system, but otherwise its a good.