IGNORED

Help verify earliest Super Mario Bros print run. We need your help!

1 hour ago, BreaKBeatZ said:

A little bit off-topic, was Super Mario Bros. released on the Famicom before it was released in the U.S.? If so (which I think is probably the case), one of those versions would be the true first printing.

It was released for Famicom on September 13, 1985 which is a month before the NES released in North America. So the first Famicom version would be the true "first print". But the point of this thread is to find the earliest North American SMB cart to see if that can help us determine a more exact release date (which has never been confirmed). 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Thats like December of 1986, over a year away :P.

Funny cuz I just watched Jeremey Parish' video about SMB 1 and he references Frank Cfaldi's article where they can't tell if SMB 1 was ready for the Oct debut.  I mean, at least we know US copies were printed early enough to be included.

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/sad-but-true-we-can-t-prove-when-super-mario-bros-came-out

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

What’s the relevance? Earlier posts in this thread have date codes from 87.

Uh, the idea was to find proof from people opening their carts if they could find any proof using date codes if the chips were printed before Oct of 1985.  Then @Goodvibes posted his cart that had the date code of 8539 that proved the chips were printed early enough that SMB1 could have been ready at the Oct launch.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Uh, the idea was to find proof from people opening their carts if they could find any proof using date codes if the chips were printed before Oct of 1985.  Then @Goodvibes posted his cart that had the date code of 8539 that proved the chips were printed early enough that SMB1 could have been ready at the Oct launch.

Lol my bad.

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

So why you coming at me? Lol there’s pics posted of date codes later than mine 🧠

wait it doesn’t say anything I. The title about “hey thanks we figured it out” 😂

Its funny because the thread is over 3 years old and you had to search for it somehow.  We got the data and the thread fizzled out.  And after we got the first 85 date code, all the other pics posted are from 85.  Dunno where you're getting this from haha.

9 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@guitarzombie this date code is 87’, no?

Yes... but I just said after we found the first 85 one, which is at the end of the 2nd page by good vibes in Feb of 2020.

On 2/16/2020 at 10:27 PM, Goodvibes said:

Hello all, I finally got around to opening the smb cart from my gloss sticker seal box. I picked it up a few years ago locally along with a few others in a bundle. Cart originally came in the box but I had to source a manual to make it complete. Here’s a couple pictures of the board.

DEBB6D6B-BC11-4A93-B194-720AA836AFC5.jpeg

0A5C920D-7362-43CD-B799-698F672119F9.jpeg

• Like 1