IGNORED

Shelving Solutions for the Sophisticated Gamer

DoctorEncore

3 hours ago, NintendoTwizer said:

Here's what I have going on with my current NES collection. 

Whoa!

More than anything I just really envy having that amount of space for your games. If I did this for every platform I'd need like four rooms.

Are the shelves custom built?

Edited by Sumez

3 hours ago, NintendoTwizer said:

Here's what I have going on with my current NES collection.  

20191127_115435.thumb.jpg.0dd354e67f07230ea84b46c740278216.jpg

This is messing with my eyeballs. It has the chunky majesty, lighting, and perspective of a floor to ceiling bookcase but it's clearly like 4ft tall. Looks sweet! Put the NG games in the center and put that Donkey Kong Classics and Punch Out on the sidelines where the belong as re-releases.

On 12/27/2019 at 5:29 AM, Nes Freak said:

if you insist 😛 and to be real its just some of it.  not all of it.  i dont have a tons of space.  and this bathroom isnt used much either.

I honestly don't mean this in a mean way, but that is exactly the sorta thing I try to avoid. I have my gaming area, and once things won't slot into the space then I say no to it or remove some things.

14 hours ago, ninjistar said:

So this was my shelving solution for my NES set back in 2015-2017. A painted, home-made, custom built shelf designed for NES carts

vgs-ninjistar-nes_loose_licensed_set_201

I was pretty pleased with this. I've since moved and this no longer works in my new house. @8bitsupremacy I noticed in your post above that you mentioned having the Mainstays media shelves from Walmart. Are you sure that's what they are and where they're from?  I have a few of those but hadn't considered using them for NES carts before. I want to use 4 of those now to house my NES set, but I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere. I'm wondering if they're still available. Any help would be appreciated!

Yes they are exactly those, and when I got mine I had to buy a 5th just to harvest a few extra shelf pieces from to hold an entire loose cart set on four of them (as per the advice of someone on NintendoAge I was messaging at the time)...also when i got mine they were sold out everywhere and the 5th of the 5 I scheduled to pick up was an open box one returned by someone else, and was the very last shelf in stock.  After that I have recommended them to others but it seems they were discontinued, and I may have literally obtained the last ones available in Chicago area as only one location even showed up on my list of available pickup spots.  This was probably two years ago now. 😕

Edited by 8bitsupremacy

I used the Kallax shelves from IKEA with essentially a cardboard box that fits in the cubes. It's a nice minimalist look and each box holds a crap load of games. The red drawer thing holds all my controllers. I've considered putting a label on the boxes, but I pretty much know where everything is, so I don't need to advertise it.

IMG_20200110_165525.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 8bitsupremacy said:

Yes they are exactly those, and when I got mine I had to buy a 5th just to harvest a few extra shelf pieces from to hold an entire loose cart set on four of them (as per the advice of someone on NintendoAge I was messaging at the time)...also when i got mine they were sold out everywhere and the 5th of the 5 I scheduled to pick up was an open box one returned by someone else, and was the very last shelf in stock.  After that I have recommended them to others but it seems they were discontinued, and I may have literally obtained the last ones available in Chicago area as only one location even showed up on my list of available pickup spots.  This was probably two years ago now. 😕

It seems as though my worst fear for this project has been realized. Dang. I REALLY was excited at how well these fit into my space and displayed NES carts!  I was hoping to not go the custom route again, but I may have to do so. I guess I'll have to shoot for the top now! 😛 

16 minutes ago, Prime2099 said:

I used the Kallax shelves from IKEA with essentially a cardboard box that fits in the cubes. It's a nice minimalist look and each box holds a crap load of games. The red drawer thing holds all my controllers. I've considered putting a label on the boxes, but I pretty much know where everything is, so I don't need to advertise it.

IMG_20200110_165525.jpg

I love the black and red color combination. You've done a great job working with what's available off the shelf. Still, it's kind of crazy that no company specializes in dedicated video game shelving. Just think how many games you could fit in those pull-out drawers if they were sized perfectly.

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2020 at 12:14 PM, Nintegageo said:

I honestly don't mean this in a mean way, but that is exactly the sorta thing I try to avoid. I have my gaming area, and once things won't slot into the space then I say no to it or remove some things.

i know it looks like crap its actually well organized to avoid damaging boxes via weight of other items.

Finally got my Furinno 5-Tier Open Shelf Bookcase together. Just like the 7-cube version I featured in my first post, it's a white pre-fab shelving solution, but surprisingly nice! It's not the perfect size for NES boxes, but they will definitely fit and display quite nicely. Because it's not particularly tall, there is plenty of room for knick-knacks on top or posters on the wall above. My only complaint is how narrow it is and the fact that the shelves don't line up perfectly with the 7-cube unit I already have. If you need something that holds roughly 50 NES boxes and fits in a small space, it's great. The quality is fantastic for the price and assembly is extremely quick with an electric driver.IMG_20200116_153355.thumb.jpg.7aca850abc4b96b6e224f41370bb13eb.jpg

IMG_20200116_153338.thumb.jpg.3a40eb5e61f80dc5e7b49b39b0bbd329.jpg

And don't worry! It won't leave it in front of that window. This is just temporary while I sell off some PC games and wait for my two additional 7-cube organizers to stack on the other one. Here it is loaded up with my Indie Boxes which will be shipped off to better homes next week. They are about 1 inch taller than NES boxes.

IMG_20200116_153758.thumb.jpg.5db8593d8c576aae2676aa92f6a12061.jpg

I'm also planning to throw some white LED light strips on the bottom of my wall shelves for effect. They will be battery operated to hide the cords. Hopefully I'll get them up next week.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

I have some knock off Kallax cubes...from idk where...I think one was from Big Lots, and can't remember where the other one is from...

Anyways, I had a plan to get rid of those cloth bins because they suck for DVD sized cases. But all that wasted shelf space...

Then I saw a collector I follow on Instagram/Youtube post his room tour (SeeJayAre) and saw he had some shelf inserts in his real Kallax cube shelf. A little digging around and I found what they are but they would only work for me if my shelves were the same size as Kallax and if I was storing CDs...which I'm not. So, a little Google fu...and I saw people made their own versions/variations of those inserts. It got me thinking about it and I think...I want to try it. Specifically this hack: qXap63o.jpg

Not mine, just found it off reddit. It makes sense since it doesn't block either row like double stacking would or even using a raised shelf in the back would. Because I've tried raised shelves in the back with other shelves and they don't work well since the front row is in the way. This makes it look like you could access the back row without having to move the front row.

Just thought I'd mention this if anyone else has a Kallax or a knock off and wanted to try something different. I mean I know those cloth bins can hold a lot of games but...eh...you have to pull the whole bin out, and move the pile stacked on top of the bottom layer to get to a game down there...just a hassle. I hate the cloth bins.

I'd go for another shelving unit but I have these and the space I have them in...you can't really fit much there, so these sort of work for the space. Otherwise I'd ditch them and get something more useful for DVD type cases...since I plan on having all my newer games in those type of cases in this room. Separating my modern and vintage games between two rooms...and keeping them both out of my bedroom...which is housing many other collections like my massive amount of books...

Oh and here's the original reddit post for items they used:

• Like 3

This is what I ended up going with for my NES set for now. Ultimately, this came down to where things will fit and how well. It works extremely well for the space I have and the items to be stored. If you'd like to watch as I progress, I've been posting step-by-step photos on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/ninjistar/)

newnesshelf.jpg

Edited by ninjistar
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

This is what I ended up going with for my NES set for now. Ultimately, this came down to where things will fit and how well. It works extremely well for the space I have and the items to be stored. If you'd like to watch as I progress, I've been posting step-by-step photos on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/ninjistar/)

newnesshelf.jpg

Nice! How many carts does it hold?

36 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Nice! How many carts does it hold?

It will hold up to 864 carts. The depth is perfect for NES carts as well. There will be a slight gap at the top of each row, but since it's consistent across the shelf, it still looks decent. I don't think I'll be storing carts on the bottom row, but I haven't fully decided what I'll use that row for yet. I may display some figures or other decorative items. I'm happy to put my NES set on display again!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 4:51 PM, ninjistar said:

newnesshelf.jpg

It's beautiful!

The "Elfa" line of shelves at the Container Store are great!  Fully adjustable and just hang right on the wall, so they don't take up any floor space. They aren't cheap, but they go one sale at 30% off twice per year.  Sale is going on now actually.  I have about 4x more than what you see here.  Whole collection just hangs there.\

Those lights at the top have been replaced with LED.  Just hung some Xmas lights at the time to see how I liked it...

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Edited by TheArcadeGeek
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Y’all inspired me to up my shelving game. Found these Atlantic Drawbridge media cases on Amazon at a good price for a space that I managed to free up in my home office. The quality isn’t great but I got what I paid for. Still have a mess going because I have all my dupes and incomplete stuff mixed in on the right side and after finally getting my Switch collection all in one place I realized I need more shelves but at least I don’t have piles of stuff on my desk anymore!

DEACB9B1-58BE-4241-856E-64D4E685E8CC.thumb.jpeg.cb9e34f6ed0b9414b32e73a11d8c968e.jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/11/2020 at 5:05 PM, TheArcadeGeek said:

The "Elfa" line of shelves at the Container Store are great!  Fully adjustable and just hang right on the wall, so they don't take up any floor space. They aren't cheap, but they go one sale at 30% off twice per year.  Sale is going on now actually.  I have about 4x more than what you see here.  Whole collection just hangs there.\

Those lights at the top have been replaced with LED.  Just hung some Xmas lights at the time to see how I liked it...

I'm really digging the clean look you've got here! 

One of my game rooms has a similar setup, but using the Rubbermaid track shelving from Home Depot and Lowes.  Frankly. though, these Elfa shelves have a much cleaner look!   The narrowest I've been able to find in the Rubbermaid line is 8", which leaves way too much open space/overhang on each shelf - I assume you're using the 6" deep Elfas here?

Are those two walls in the top picture single shelves all the way across or are there multiple shelves per row there (they are extremely seamless-looking if the latter - much more so that I've been able to accomplish with the Rubbermaids).