IGNORED

New Xbox Console Announced

Rooster

9 minutes ago, Estil said:

As for their lofty claims about so-called "backwards compatibility"...I got news, weather, and sports for them.  Unless it plays the discs from previous gens (that goes for the upcoming PS5 as well) it DOESN'T COUNT.

They haven't said with certainty that old discs will actually play, but the games will be backwards compatible. Right now, when you insert an original Xbox game, it downloads that entire game to be played as if it were a digital copy. 360 and One games play from the disc.

So yes, the new console will probably play 360 and One discs directly, but only recognize and then download the data for OG Xbox discs.

Confused? You're not alone.

9 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

They haven't said with certainty that old discs will actually play, but the games will be backwards compatible. Right now, when you insert an original Xbox game, it downloads that entire game to be played as if it were a digital copy. 360 and One games play from the disc.

So yes, the new console will probably play 360 and One discs directly, but only recognize and then download the data for OG Xbox discs.

Confused? You're not alone.

I'm actually ok with this.  It may not be ideal, but it's better than saying that backwards compatibility just means that you can re-buy your games online and download them digitally (which is what I've been expecting with the "backwards compatibility" of the next generation).  

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Estil said:

Yeah I know, the Xbox One sounds like the console/Live handle of the President! 😄  Still that's better than the Wii U's name...I bet people were confused about that wondering if it's a Wii that's going to college or is meant for colleges or college students or something?

I could have sworn that we had this exact convo over at NA, but if not, I will still argue that XBox One is worse than Wii U despite the fact that both are terrible names.

If the cost of the next gen consoles exceeds like 300 or 400 dollars, then you're probably just better off building a PC.  I felt that the Switch was a reasonable cost of entry for a company with really good IPs.  I am not about to pay $400 for a new xbox if all they will release are games that go right to PC anyway.

6 minutes ago, Rooster said:

If the cost of the next gen consoles exceeds like 300 or 400 dollars, then you're probably just better off building a PC.  I felt that the Switch was a reasonable cost of entry for a company with really good IPs.  I am not about to pay $400 for a new xbox if all they will release are games that go right to PC anyway.

I think this gen proved that you have to launch at $400 or less to be successful with the average gamer. $500 (maybe even $600) will sell out at launch, but that price is not sustainable. Customers don't care about, or even understand, inflation.

My prediction is Xbox Series X at $400, Series S at $300, and PS5 at $400. I actually think it would be appropriate to launch at $500 from a purely value-based perspective, but the market would likely disagree.

2 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I think this gen proved that you have to launch at $400 or less to be successful with the average gamer. $500 (maybe even $600) will sell out at launch, but that price is not sustainable. Customers don't care about, or even understand, inflation.

My prediction is Xbox Series X at $400, Series S at $300, and PS5 at $400. I actually think it would be appropriate to launch at $500 from a purely value-based perspective, but the market would likely disagree.

Well the PS3 launched at like $700 and we all saw how that played out.  Fortunately they were able to save themselves later on with big time new IPs like Uncharted and Last of Us, but it seemed like it nearly sank them. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to New Xbox Console Announced
Just now, fox said:

I don't think that article accurately represents the real world.  A PS5 isn't just $500, you are also going to have to inevitably pay for PSN, you pay more for games, you might end up needing extra controllers, and it's life span and usefulness are more limited.  I built my PC for about $1300 back in 2012 and it is still obviously much better than any console, and better than most gamer's PC as well.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 12/17/2019 at 5:50 PM, Mega Tank said:

I genuinely prefer XBOX over Playstation... however, I am contemplating just spending on a gaming PC this time around. Decisions decisions...

I feel like they need to name this console something else. It reminds me of the Wii -> WiiU fiasco.

Image result for xbox one series x fridge

Believe it or not, up until the late 70s/early 80s or so, a computer that size counted as a "mini".  And did know that a supermini and a minisuper computer were two different things? 

I have both console this gen and have been a big fan of what Xbox is doing.  Despite that I think I am going ps5 this time around. Might even sell the one x.  Mainly because they are putting everything on PC too.  It has become an expensive media player.

Edited by zeppelin03

44 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

The games they showed off look fun, but what’s the point of buying the new console if I can just get it on Xbox One (cheaper) or the PC (best performance)?

I've been picking up my Xbox games during steam sales and other bundles.  The Xbox stuff gets traded after.  I'm curious to see how the exclusives going to PC impacts console sales.  Microsoft gets paid either way so they likely don't care.