IGNORED

New Xbox Console Announced

Rooster

I would harp on this name so much more if Wii U didn't exist. It abbreviates to Xbox SX at least which sounds like a thing and not something stupid like Xbone. The small form factor PC tower is pretty cool looking, although maybe inconvenient because it would have to sit on the floor next to my TV rather than in my TV stand.

1 hour ago, broncofantd793 said:

This reminds me of the Wii vs Wii U confusion.

"This is the same Xbox X I have!" - general public

I don't think there will be public confusion like the Wii vs Wii U. As bad as the name Wii U was, the fatal mistake was focusing initial marketing on the tablet without making it clear it wasn't just an add-on for the Wii. 

I got my PS1 and PS2 at Christmas time in the years they were launched.  However, for PS3, I waited about a year after release before buying it.  For PS4, I waited nearly two years.  There is about a .0000001% chance that I will buy anything at launch next year regardless of the specs.  

2 hours ago, zeppelin03 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing what this console is all about.  Have a coworker who is tempted to jump to Xbox after this gen. Xbox has a lot of momentum with back compat, game pass, and exclusives in my opinion.  They may have a huge e3 coming up.

Anyone who jumps to Xbox after this gen isnt a fan of history. PS4 has dominated the generation with an onslaught of some of the best exclusives of any generation, as well as investing in budget friendly VR.

By comparison, Xbox seemingly abadoned the generation years ago, having a trickle of lackluster exclusive anything, and even going to far as releasing a $600 super Xbone but not making any actual games to warrent the purchase. I'm sure all those ppl are happy they ponied up just for Scarlet to be announced a year later.

PS5 is rumored to be BC comparable with PS1 to PS4, giving it potential access to one the best libraries in existence. Between that and Sony's consistently incredible 1st party lineups and VR investment, I don't think it'll be a contest next gen either. The fact that all major Xbox games are also coming to PC shows owning an Xbox is a redundant venture at best. 

Edited by Startyde

17 minutes ago, Startyde said:

Anyone who jumps to Xbox after this gen isnt a fan of history. PS4 has dominated the generation with an onslaught of some of the best exclusives of any generation, as well as investing in budget friendly VR.

By comparison, Xbox seemingly abadoned the generation years ago, having a trickle of lackluster exclusive anything, and even going to far as releasing a $600 super Xbone but not making any actual games to warrent the purchase. I'm sure all those ppl are happy they ponied up just for Scarlet to be announced a year later.

PS5 is rumored to be BC comparable with PS1 to PS4, giving it potential access to one the best libraries in existence. Between that and Sony's consistently incredible 1st party lineups and VR investment, I don't think it'll be a contest next gen either. The fact that all major Xbox games are also coming to PC shows owning an Xbox is a redundant venture at best. 

They also haven't brought backwards comparability to their current console and refused to setup crossplay for years while they were ahead despite Microsoft and Nintendo working together.

I own both consoles and they both have pros/cons.  The X is a great console.  Halo, Forza, etc look fantastic on it. I've stopped buy games on PS4 Pro when they look that much better on X.  Gamepass lets me download the games to my console instead of streaming resulting in a better experience. 

I'll take the work Xbox is doing currently over the rumors from PlayStation that have yet to materialize.

• Like 1

I love the Xbox ecosystem, am super excited about all the first-party studios they've acquired, and I think GamePass is a revelation, so I'm all in.

As for this specific console, I like the tower design and, since it can also go horizontal, it should fit in most entertainment centers without an issue. I think the name kind of sucks due to confusion with the current generation, but it should be fine moving forward. I suspect there will be Xbox Series X (XX) and Xbox Series S (XS) on release day and they will promptly end the current generation. The XS will replace the 1X completely, so that should take the 1X name out of the equation and hopefully prevent name confusion. 

I'm also stoked for Hellblade 2! 😁

P.S. I will also get a PS5 for exclusives, but Xbox is my go-to for everything else.

Edited by DoctorEncore

14 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I love the Xbox ecosystem, am super excited about all the first-party studios they've acquired, and I think GamePass is a revelation, so I'm all in.

As for this specific console, I like the tower design and, since it can also go horizontal, it should fit in most entertainment centers without an issue. I think the name kind of sucks due to confusion with the current generation, but it should be fine moving forward. I suspect there will be Xbox Series X (XX) and Xbox Series S (XS) on release day and they will promptly end the current generation. The XS will replace the 1X completely, so that should take the 1X name out of the equation and hopefully prevent name confusion. 

I'm also stoked for Hellblade 2! 😁

P.S. I will also get a PS5 for exclusives, but Xbox is my go-to for everything else.

I think people forget you could lay this thing on its side and it will run.  The one thing I'm excited about is the cooling.  I'm willing to bet it has a 120 or 140mm PC fan on it instead of those whining fans laptops and consoles usually use.  I'll take a quiet low pitch fan any day.

Edited by zeppelin03
  • Like 1

Just now, zeppelin03 said:

I think people forget you could lay this thing on its side and it will run.  The one thing I'm excited about is the cooling.  I'm willing to bet it has a 120 or 140mm PC fan on it instead of those whining fans laptops and consoles usually use.  I'll ake a quiet low pitch fan any day.

Yes! They said it will be as quiet as the One X, which is near silent. My white PS4 Pro sounds like freakin' jet plane every time I play a graphically intense game. I had to crank the volume on Uncharted 4 and God of War just to drown out the noise. The large, well-ventilated case is definitely a good thing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Yes! They said it will be as quiet as the One X, which is near silent. My white PS4 Pro sounds like freakin' jet plane every time I play a graphically intense game. I had to crank the volume on Uncharted 4 and God of War just to drown out the noise. The large, well-ventilated case is definitely a good thing.

You hear the HDD and disc drive only. It's great. Sometimes I leave the console on and change inputs on the TV only to forget it's on for hours.

Hopefully the PS5 improves on that because they really fall short in that regard.

Edited by zeppelin03
  • Like 1

To be honest, in regards to the PS5, pretty much the only way I'll be getting it is if it's backwards compatible.  I have actually bought two PS4 consoles over the years, and I guess in general, feel that I've gotten enough value out of them....  But as time goes on I find myself console gaming less, and PC gaming much more.  As for the xbox, it pretty much needs to be backwards compatible because it feels like they've barely released anything worth buying that you can't already get on PS4 or PC.  It is highly unlikely I will buy this at any time during it's console life.

7 hours ago, Rooster said:

To be honest, in regards to the PS5, pretty much the only way I'll be getting it is if it's backwards compatible.  I have actually bought two PS4 consoles over the years, and I guess in general, feel that I've gotten enough value out of them....  But as time goes on I find myself console gaming less, and PC gaming much more.  As for the xbox, it pretty much needs to be backwards compatible because it feels like they've barely released anything worth buying that you can't already get on PS4 or PC.  It is highly unlikely I will buy this at any time during it's console life.

I'm in the same boat. Bought the PS4 then the pro. I even sold my pro to buy a revised pro that isn't so loud.  I have a backlog to go through before my Pro feels like its been a good value.

Moving more to PC since it's all there anyhow.  Even just plug it into my TV and use an Xbox One controller.  Feels like a console but better once I'm gaming.

• Like 1

So it looks like the console will just be called Xbox with the Series X portion being a modifier that changes as needed. https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/12/17/microsoft-clarifies-name-of-next-xbox-console

I'm pretty sure the timing of this reveal (one year ahead of release) was a strategic move to finalize the name. I think they just wanted to see how people would react. People didn't love it, so now we get the "clarification" that it's just "Xbox." This gives them a year to get their marketing straight and no one will really care about this somewhat confusing announcement in 2020.

It's also just something they needed to do. They had backed themselves into the corner with trying to come up with a new name every generation. Just stick to the naming scheme that phones (and PlayStation) have been using for years. It also speaks to the functionality; when you buy a new one, the old games automatically work. You upgrade when you feel like the new stuff is appealing enough to warrant the money. Still won't be a yearly cycle like phones, but maybe every 3-4 years.

Either way, I'm pretty excited for the next generation and the last few bangers of this one (The Last of Us 2).

Honestly, unless again I'm not being a fair judge because I've mostly ignored most of modern gaming, I'm actually impressed...and are they doing like a before/after transition showing 8th gen vs 9th gen graphics in that preview clip?  BTW is that supposed to be a game console or an office building with no doors/windows and a roof with holes in it?  And why don't they do like Playstation and call it the Xbox 4 or something?  As for their lofty claims about so-called "backwards compatibility"...I got news, weather, and sports for them.  Unless it plays the discs from previous gens (that goes for the upcoming PS5 as well) it DOESN'T COUNT.

On 12/13/2019 at 11:09 AM, TDIRunner said:

Microsoft is truly terrible at naming video game consoles.  

Yeah I know, the Xbox One sounds like the console/Live handle of the President! 😄  Still that's better than the Wii U's name...I bet people were confused about that wondering if it's a Wii that's going to college or is meant for colleges or college students or something?