IGNORED

Greatest game of the 2010s

acromite53

I want to say Breath of the Wild or Witcher 3, but I only played through both of them twice. The second playthrough of Witcher was much less satisfying. As I already knew the main story beats and the ending only slightly changes. Unlike the Zelda play through which went better than my first play. I embraced the mechanics of the game more. 

Skyrim would be my real choice. I played it multiple times on multiple systems. Skyrim may not have as good of story as Witcher or as good of gameplay as BotW, it still managed to draw me back. Even just writing about Skyrim makes me want to play through again. Can’t really say the same about Witcher or Breath of The Wild. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Galdius said:

I really wanted to like SMG2 but I think the first one was a better game. I just couldn't put it down.
SMG2 I didn't even finish.

I never understood how it got perfect 10's across the board. It was basically the same thing but now with Yoshi and a few new abilities. It's still a good game don't get me wrong but it didn't have the magic and lasting appeal of the first.

• Like 1

Breath of the Wild would certainly be at the top of my list with Horizon Zero Dawn probably second.  Axion Verge is up there as well despite the fact that I never got around to finishing it.  Lots of other indie games come to mind as well such as Limbo, Inside, Little Nightmares and Rime. 

I hate to throw remakes into lists like these since the original games are from a previous era, but since they were new from the ground up, I will also say that the Shadow of the Colossus remake and the Resident Evil 2 remake were among the best games in the past 10 years as well.   

• Like 2

For me personally I'd have to say Breath of the Wild even though I think I disliked it a bit more once I fully completed it compared to when I first started it. It was the first time I had been really excited about a game in a while and was a pretty unique experience starting with so little direction in such a vast game.

Other games I really enjoyed were Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, and a Link Between Worlds for Nintendo. Resident Evil 2 Remake was my favourite PS game. Strider and Shovel Knight were both great platformers/classic games.

Games I haven't played that seem really popular would be Dark Souls, Last Of Us, Minecraft, GTA V, Witch 3 and RDR off the top of my head which I think are all mentioned in this thread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Breath of the Wild would certainly be at the top of my list with Horizon Zero Dawn probably second.  Axion Verge is up there as well despite the fact that I never got around to finishing it.  Lots of other indie games come to mind as well such as Limbo, Inside, Little Nightmares and Rime. 

I hate to throw remakes into lists like these since the original games are from a previous era, but since they were new from the ground up, I will also say that the Shadow of the Colossus remake and the Resident Evil 2 remake were among the best games in the past 10 years as well.   

Yeah, I feel the same about RE2 remake. I hate to give it to a remake but damn that game is so fucking good and, as you said, was essentially rebuilt from the ground up. Keeps all the charm while keeping it new and fresh. They really did a great job on that game.

First of all, I would never be Vice President to anyone, so just throw that thing away.  Second, what fucking game came out in 2003 to validate that slogan?  If it said 2004, it might make sense since Gradius V came out that year.  I'm pretty sure nothing released outside of Japan has been worth playing since then.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

It has been a great decade for indie games.

This is the real story of the decade (moreso this generation than the previous). AAA games are now becoming like AAA movies - less quality and more mainstream, whereas more and more of the year's best titles are now indies. Indie games like Crypt of the Necrodancer, Hollow Knight, and Binding of Isaac are easily among the decade's best.

• Like 1

Some more of the best games I've played this decade. I'm sure I'm missing a ton here. I'll group it by system:

• DS - Etrian Odyssey III, Radiant Historia, SMT: Strange Journey
  • PSP/Vita - Danganronpa (the whole trilogy)
  • PS3 - Dark Souls (plus the sequels), Dragon's Dogma, Fallout New Vegas, Last of Us, Lightning Returns (& XIII-2), Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Vanquish
  • PS4 - Alien Isolation, Bloodborne, Doom, Evil Within, Nioh, Project Diva: Future Tone DX, Sekiro
  • Wii - Pandora's Tower, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Wii U - Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Super Mario 3D World, TLOZ: Breath of the Wild

Edited by scaryice

Games I've enjoyed the most would be Super Mario Odyssey, Undertale, The End is Nigh, Mario Maker 1 and 2, Cuphead and EA Skate 3.

Never got around to playing BOTW, Celeste or the Dark Souls games. But those are some games I really want to check out.

I think i started collecting around 2010 or so, so I didnt play that many new games until fairly recently, I was so excited about collecting that I was playing old games for the most part

Edited by BortLicensePlate
Had to look up the year for skate 3

There have been so many amazing games released over the last decade but dark souls gets my vote.

Perfect combination of challenge, replay value, character customisation and exploring the unknown. 
It has been a while since I had to really think about how to defeat a boss and come up with different strategies.

• Like 1

I've been seeing Skyrim mentioned a lot, and if I may, could those people tell me why they like it? If I may speak frankly, I really don't know why people like Skyrim. I do recognize that a big problem for me is that I find open-world games to be fun at first, but to quickly lose their appeal once you realize most of the massive world will just be actively skipped over for lack of novelty or value. My greater beef is just with what I perceived as the game's intent. It seemed like their goal was to do very many things, but in the process, they didn't do any of them particularly well. The feeling comes from the sensation that the role-playing is too thin, the gameplay too easy and simplistic, the exploration handicapped by the GPS map which tells you both where to go and what you've found, lest you fail to recognize something that they want you to see as significant. Finally, the whole point of the game, from what I have watched, seems to be to repeat tedium to make level numbers go up, as well as collecting and carrying every random piece of garbage you can fritter off with. I feel like overall, the game is made for someone who wants a huge timesink without much serious commitment, and who value quantity far more than quality.

Before I just come off as a curmudgeon, I will say that there are games in here which I didn't really like but which I can understand why others like them. Games like last of us, dark souls, I can understand the appeal even if I don't like them myself. Skyrim is just the big puzzle to me. I think the only prize I would give it is the Opposite Day award, the prize for the game with the largest disparity between praise won and worthiness of that praise.