scaryice

Famicom Quest - 1006/1053 (five more games added)

It's time to restart this thread here, after the death of NA. For the past decade, I've been keeping track of my journey to collect Famicom carts. Join me as the journey continues toward the full set!

Games owned

95.54% = 1006/1053

Money Spent

$3,841.88 = $3.82 per game

Most Expensive Games

1    Seirei Densetsu Lickle            160.00
 2    Moon Crystal                      121.99
 3    Battle Formula                    102.55
 4    Captain Saver                      77.94
 5    Gimmick                            45.00
 6    Igo Meikan                         38.84
 7    Hebereke                           37.50
 8    Bucky O'Hare                       29.17
 9    Nakayoshi to Issho                 29.06
10    Solomon no Kagi 2                  28.00
11    Pizza Pop                          27.56
12    Rockman                            27.05
13    Don Doko Don 2                     26.00
      Lagrange Point                     26.00
15    Kyoro-chan Land                    25.30
16    Battletoads                        21.99
17    Karaoke Studio                     20.00
      Mitsume ga Tooru                   20.00
19    Family BASIC v3.0                  19.19
20    SD Gundam: Gundam Wars (Datach)    19.00
21    Dragon Ball: Dai Maou Fukkatsu     18.75
      Dragon Ball Z Gaiden               18.75
      Juuryoku Soukou Metal Storm        18.75
24    Goal                               18.67
25    Fushigi no Umi no Nadia            18.06

Publisher sets

(15/33 with 10+ games completed)

1. Square
  2. ASCII
  3. Namco
  4. KAC
  5. Toei
  6. Nintendo
  7. Tokyo Shoseki
  8. Coconuts
  9. Pack-in Video
  10. Kemco
  11. Hudson
  12. Koei
  13. Takara
  14. Tokuma Shoten
  15. Yutaka

Notes

I've gone back and figured out how much I've spent for every game, along with the approximate date I received each one. For older lot purchases, I used my old price guide (from 2012) to determine how much I paid for each game. But since in the years since, I've just counted each game in a lot equally. Money spent includes shipping (except for trades). It doesn't include games bought that I already owned that I got another copy of. Also, if I get another copy of a game in better condition, I don't count the cost of the new game. I just keep the cost of the first copy I had, even though it's been switched out. I use the list of games on Japanese Wikipedia, which leads to a total of 1,053 carts. This is the standard number over there, although it can certainly be debated.

Remaining Games

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 1

My last post on NA left me off at 995 carts. I've since added four more to put me one away from the big four digits:

#996 - Hudson Hawk
#997 - Jekyll Hakase no Houma ga Toki
#998 - Circus Charlie
#999 - Mahou no Princess Minky Momo: Remember Dream

Hudson Hawk seems to be reasonably uncommon, although not expensive. I know Dr. Jekyll is considered to be a bit butchered for the US release, which perhaps led to its terrible reputation. Although I'm sure people would've still hated it no matter what.

Circus Charlie is a very common game that I somehow never acquired until now. It's a Konami game, but they didn't publish it (Soft Pro did, who also published Karateka - I don't know anything about them). It's also the last game that I needed which was published in 1986. So far I've completed 1983, 1984, 1985, and 1986 in order; we'll see if that pattern continues. Here's how my current stats look:

image.png.cf9a70536a1ed49a54f4a1ae2899abb4.png

So, I only need six more games from the 1980s. That would be Joust from 1987, Contra & Cosmo Police Galivan from 1988, and Gekikame Ninja Den, Holy Diver, & Robocop from 1989.

The last of these four games is Minky Momo. With a name like that, you wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's based on a magical girl anime. You might be a little surprised, though, to learn that it dates all the way back to 1982. Check this out:

The game itself seems to be an adventure-style game where you go around and talk to people in town, so not very playable unless you understand Japanese. It was the last Yutaka game I needed for that publisher set, so here's the requisite photo:

8dM9lJW.jpg

Of course they also did the Sailor Moon game (Nakayoshi to Issho, one of the more expensive games so far). Yutaka (not Yukata, as I've accidentally typed several times) appears to have been bought by Bandai and is closely related to them. Looks like they were previously called Shinsei, and there seems to be sort of an Acclaim/LJN scenario here. But all these carts have the SHI code, so they belong together.

These are mostly anime games, and I don't think any are highly regarded. Last Armageddon is probably the most interesting one. It's a turn-based computer rpg featuring demons vs robots. Ushio to Tora & Nakayoshi to Issho are both harder to find. It's also neat that the very common Gundam Gachipon Senshi 2 (the black cart on the top row) has a light blue variant. It still has a black sticker, so it looks kind of weird. I'm not sure why that exists.

As always, the pic shows the games in order of release.

Edited by scaryice

4 hours ago, scaryice said:

4 Captain Saver 77.94

5 Gimmick 45.00

What the

How

I've kept tabs on this quest of yours over time as I found it entertaining as much as interesting too.  Nice to see it wasn't lost in the shameful shutdown.  Sometimes it's always one of those least to be expected things of no consequential value that pop up later in the mix given when you just got that konami game.

Very cool. I love collecting Famicom games. The artwork is so cool on most of them, and they really have a unique "feel" compared to the US NES carts. 

18 hours ago, Sumez said:

What the

How

I bought Gimmick 9 years ago, that's how.

• Like 1

#1000 - Joust

Today I received my first FC game in a while, a copy of Joust ($8.98). Nothing too special, but it just happens to be my 1,000th cart! Only 53 to go (one of which is on the way). It's also the last game I needed from 1987. So far, I've completed 83-84-85-86-87 in order. That probably won't hold, since I only need one more 1994 cart. We'll see.

Money spent per cart so far, by year:

Year Avg
1983 2.22
1984 1.91
1985 1.90
1986 2.15
1987 2.66
1988 2.80
1989 2.53
1990 3.36
1991 5.13
1992 10.06
1993 6.68
1994 5.69

Edited by scaryice

17 hours ago, scaryice said:

#1000 - Joust

Today I received my first FC game in a while, a copy of Joust ($8.98). Nothing too special, but it just happens to be my 1,000th cart! Only 53 to go (one of which is on the way). It's also the last game I needed from 1987. So far, I've completed 83-84-85-86-87 in order. That probably won't hold, since I only need one more 1994 cart. We'll see.

That's awesome! 1000! I used to check in on your Famicom collecting thread from NA, and it's been so cool seeing the progress - almost like collecting vicariously haha. Make sure to keep us updated on new acquisitions!

-CasualCart

• Like 1

Thanks, I've always enjoy reading everyone else's countdowns for NES cart sets or whatever, so I try to make it somewhat exciting.

I'd love to take some pics, but it's kind of difficult to set up 1,000 carts. I don't even think I have a good place to take a pic like that. Instead, I guess I'll talk a bit about storage. Right now, I have the games separated by color. Given that I'm storing them in a few big boxes, that at least lets me narrow down where a given game could be. I thought about doing it by publisher, but each stack would be full of different colors, and also I'd have to deal with different amounts of games for each one. So color it is.

I've narrowed it down to five color groups - black/green/red/white/yellow. Green includes blue (I call the category green just so I don't have two that start with the letter B), red includes pink/purple, and yellow includes brown/gold/gray/orange. Based on those groupings, you get the following number of carts for each:

470 black
192 green
151 white
141 yellow
99 red

Before I figured this out, I would've guessed half-black, so that's a little lower than expected. There's some borderline cases here, such as darker gray carts that I count as black but maybe should be under yellow.

You all might interested to know that according to my calculations, there are 88 "big" carts. That's not including the 3 later Taito carts that are maybe a tiny bit bigger (Captain Saver, Flintstones, Jetsons), so maybe you could make it 91 if you wanted. That also doesn't include the Karaoke Studio game & mic.

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 1

#1001 - Pizza Pop!

Just the one game to add this time. I'm at the point now where I should probably update every single time I get any game. So Pizza Pop is a Jaleco game, which reminds me of Panic Restaurant more than anything else. It's a food-themed platformer aimed at a younger audience. Honestly, it doesn't seem very good to me. However, it does seem to be somewhat sought after, so I was happy to pay $27.56 for it from Yamatoku (they've had several cheap copies recently). Oh, and if you're buying a single cart from them, you should probably buy another cart set to go with it to cut down on shipping costs. Buying one cart by itself would be $12 shipping, but buying Pizza Pop + 8 cart lot was only $17 shipping combined. I actually just bought a few more games from them the other day, so I should be able to update this thread again later this month (including one more publisher set down - not one of the good ones, but still).

I should mention that Pizza Pop ranks as the 11th most expensive game so far. It's kind of a flawed ranking due to how I'm counting lot purchases - just check out the Dragon Ball games on there. Realistically, a game like Metal Storm should be up there for $75 instead of $18. Oh well.

Ever thought of adding a remaining games list in case someone had one you need?  I saw your top games for price up there in that first post and I do see that Gourmet World (aka Panic Restaurant) is missing.

I have a thread in the WTB forum, but I should link it here too, good idea - just added it to the first post. I have a bunch of NES and Famicom carts to trade if anyone's interested. I need to make a Famicom doubles list, but that includes Hitler no Fukkatsu (Bionic Commando), Kage, Kung Fu (rare Spartan X variant), Robocco Wars, Sword Master, etc.

I do have Panic Restaurant already. It was part of a big 53 game, $180 lot off Yahoo Auctions a couple years ago. I got Chip 'n Dale 2 and a few other games I needed from there too.

Posted (edited)

#1002 - Asmik-kun Land
#1003 - RoboCop 2
#1004 - Dark Lord
#1005 - Tetrastar: The Fighter
#1006 - Twin Eagle: Revenge Joe's Brother

Five more games added from various Yamatoku Ebay lots. Although I technically received them on different days (separate packages and all), this may be the last time I get 5 carts at once for the collection. Certainly some less common titles here:

• I've beaten Twin Eagle a few times for the completions thread and it's bad, a truly generic shooter.
  • Robocop games on the NES don't seem too hot either. I beat 3 this year, the first one in the series for me, but it wasn't anything special. For whatever reason, only 1 & 2 were released in Japan. Interesting that I got Robocop 2 before 1 - the first one now has to be one of the cheapest and most common games left.
  • Asmik-kun Land is a generic mascot platformer. I played it for 5 minutes, and unless there's some hidden moves that I'm not aware of, it plays terribly. However, the cart is nice with the pink & blue design.
  • Tetrastar, I've seen a bit of praise for. The scrolling and classical music are cool, but I'm not a fan of these Space Harrier-likes. So it's interesting, but not my kind of game. Oh, if you fail on the first level (New York), the World Trade Center gets blown up! Link: https://old.reddit.com/r/geek/comments/5lhzy0/nes_game_tetrastar_depicts_the_destruction_of_the/
  • Dark Lord is the only one that actually seems like it could be quality. The sprites are huge by NES rpg standards, and I like the music too. It is a Data East game, however, so I'm skeptical.

With the addition of Asmik-kun Land, I completed my 16th publisher set (out of 33 with 10+ games). You'll never guess which company it is...

6gTUoVF.jpg

It's Asmik! BTW, Asmik-kun is the Japanese name of Boomer the dinosaur mascot, as seen in the title of a Game Boy game. Interestingly enough, he was originally named Bronty in the US, but it appears to have been changed. Is that where the NA/VGS poster got his name from?

Check out this blurb from Nintendo Power, taken from http://www.kidfenris.com/nintendo-powers-greatest-gossip-gremlins/)

hqtW2yS.png

Anyway, Asmik's games as a whole are not the best. They're interesting in their variety - there's a baseball simulation-type game, mahjong games, platformers, tennis, another Space Harrier clone, and an 8-bit port of Altered Beast (not good). They also they tend to have nice music. Ultimately though, I do actually remember them more for their mascot than anything else.

There's not even anything too rare or expensive, so they don't stand out that way either. Cosmic Epsilon goes for about $20. Some of the others might be less common, but they're not as a sought after. I wouldn't mind trying out Deep Dungeon IV, as a fan of those kinds of rpgs. Deep Dungeon III was published by Square, so there's probably a story there...

One more thing. There's also the case of Hyakuu no Sekai no Monogatari, which is the only Famicom game published by Ask Kodansha. Why is that relevant? Because Ask & Kodansha were two of the three companies that made up Asmik. I'm not sure how that works, but I still need that game.

Asmik Famicom games

Nov-88      Gambler Jiko Chuushinha
Oct-89       World Super Tennis
Nov-89      Cosmic Epsilon
Dec-89      Meimon! Takonishi Ouendan: Kouha 6 Nin Shuu
Apr-90       Deep Dungeon IV: Kuro no Youjutsushi
Jul-90        Juuouki
Aug-90      Nipponichi no Meikantoku
Dec-90      Gambler Jiko Chuushinha 2
Dec-90      Jumpin' Kid: Jack to Mame no Ki Monogatari
Dec-91      Asmik-kun Land

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 2

Jumpin Kid is definitely the gem of that set.