IGNORED

I'm fed up

Super loser weeper here

I haven't seen anything good in my local area in a long time. Don't know why. My area usually isn't any good for game hunting but I had some good hauls a year ago. Lately, there's been nothing, not even good listings that I miss out on, just nothing. Finally last night I see a good listing go up, nothing crazy, but there's a Wii U SMB 3D World bundle in box with a bunch of Wii U games, a loose Wii with some Wii games, a Wii U Pro Controller, and an Xbox 360 loose with two controllers and a bunch of Xbox games. Asking $225. I'm excited because altogether it's a good price for everything but also there's a copy of Dokapon Kingdom in one of the Wii piles. Plus the Wii / Wii U games have some other decent titles, nothing as valuable but a good lot still. It's farther than I would usually travel, 30 minutes one way driving for me, but for the first good haul in a while and picking up some Wii / Wii U titles for my collection plus the Wii U Pro Controller, and flipping the rest to make my money back including the Dokapon Kingdom being a quick sale, I'm down. I tell the guy I can do $200 and pick up tomorrow (now today), we agree, cool, he sends me some messages later that night about "I've been getting a lot of messages blah blah" but I don't bite. But I know where this is going. 

I wake up this morning and decide to check the listing again. What's this? Really? Shocking! Some of the photos are missing. I message him asking what happened, did some of the pictures disappear? Are some of the Wii and Wii U games not available anymore? He asks me which ones I wanted, I say "I'm pretty sure there was another Just Dance game in there and Dokapon Kingdom," he doesn't respond for a while and then makes an excuse about how he took the pictures wrong, he didn't mean to include that pile, he will have to make another listing. I ended up messaging him on the new listing asking a few more questions, he makes another unprompted excuse about "my girlfriend took those games, they will be sold separately," ok dude. 

If I had to guess I would say someone offered to buy just Dokapon Kingdom and he went for it and maybe was hoping I wouldn't notice. His asking price for the new listing is $199, I could probably do $150 and take it but at this point it's not worth it. I'm passing out of principle. I'm just annoyed and wanted to vent. I don't get why people don't realize that if you have a big pile of stuff to sell, and then you part out the good items and sell them separately, you are going to end up stuck with a big pile of undesirable stuff that no one will want to buy off you. Hate this zip code sometimes. I get better hauls online, which is sad. 

OK rant over

Edited by MiamiSlice
  • Sad 2

Dang that really sucks.  Would have been nice if he woulda been like "Yo man I'll be honest, I didn't know exactly what I had and after all the unexpected emails I realized it's worth a bit more" - and then offered to work with you or something.

Similarly, one time I snagged an N64 lot on CL that had Harvest Moon 64.  Was excited for the game as I wanted to actually play it, and I knew I was getting a solid deal.  The deal went so nonchalant and smooth I didn't even check the titles.  Drove off and later realized HM was missing.  Got all pissed off, reached out to them and said hey the best game you advertised is not here, I want a refund - and then they actually brought me the game with a BS story.

• Like 1

I just don’t use online marketplaces (except ebay) for these reasons.

I had a similar experience on CL. Dude had a listing of games, we had plans to meet up and me purchase multiple. The guy went silent for awhile and when we met up all of the ones that weren’t garbage commons were gone. I asked what happened to the carts shown in the photos, he said someone messaged him right before we met up and offered him more than my price for all the good carts and he took it. Then he got mad when I didn’t buy a bunch of the garbage ones he had left.

At least tell me you sold all the ones we agreed on before I make the trip out, and don’t assume I’m just going to shrug it off and buy the leftovers.

Edited by The Strangest
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

Dang that really sucks.  Would have been nice if he woulda been like "Yo man I'll be honest, I didn't know exactly what I had and after all the unexpected emails I realized it's worth a bit more" - and then offered to work with you or something.

Similarly, one time I snagged an N64 lot on CL that had Harvest Moon 64.  Was excited for the game as I wanted to actually play it, and I knew I was getting a solid deal.  The deal went so nonchalant and smooth I didn't even check the titles.  Drove off and later realized HM was missing.  Got all pissed off, reached out to them and said hey the best game you advertised is not here, I want a refund - and then they actually brought me the game with a BS story.

Yeah I would have been willing to continue negotiating if the seller had been honest about it. Might have even gone up to $300 for everything, which is stretching but the Wii U and Dokapon could probably make that back. Circumstances being different I'd probably still be willing to pick up the rest of the lot for $150 like I said but I don't like the bait-and-switch, intentional or not. Buying online is easier, no shady tactics to deal with, I like what I see in the picture, I click buy, a week later I have the stuff, no need to communicate. 

I'm surprised that CL seller actually responded. Usually I drive away, I figure I'll never hear from that person again. Pretty cool that they at least were willing to give it to you after all. Maybe they felt embarrassed? Who knows!

Edited by MiamiSlice

10 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

At least tell me you sold all the ones we agreed on before I make the trip out, and don’t assume I’m just going to shrug it off and buy the leftovers.

That right there.  I get it.  In vintage game hunting in some areas, like where I live, it happens.  You have to understand that the good deals are really rare and when you find them, someone else might scoop them up from you. Regardless, that doesn't give the sellers any rights to be jerks and try to hide that games aren't in a pile, or not communicate that someone offered a better deal.  I mean, it's a jerk move to agree to a price and a sell, but outside of eBay, I kind of understand.  More than a few times I've tried to sell stuff and the seller no-showed, so selling a game when you have a buyer in front of you makes sense.  However, when the deal is officially done, or you've 100% decided to not sell certain items to a buyer, just text them and let them know!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this happened.

This kind of stuff, while rare, happens on eBay too.  I picked up an NES lot a few years ago on auction with a Bucky O'Hare in it for a good price.  I knew things weren't going to go well when the seller messaged me disappointed in the ending price.  He ended up shipping the lot to me and of course left out Bucky and a couple of other decent games.  I won my claim easily but had to send everything back.  Ended up a wash but was a big waste of time.  Not long after the seller was no longer on eBay.

These things just happen though when you collect games.  Just gotta shrug and move on no matter how annoying it feels.

• Like 1