IGNORED

Game Boy Weekly Contest Round 1: Super Mario Land

Red

Hello and welcome to the first round of the third Sega Master System first Game Boy Weekly Contest!  This week's game is Wonder Boy Super Mario Land.  Explore the Kingdoms of Birabuto and Muda to find and rescue Princess Daisy!  But if she's not in either of them, just give up.  You can't be expected to search every kingdom for her.  You've got other things to do.

Rules:

- 1 life only.  If you loose a life, your run ends where you lost.

-If you don't lose a life, play until you clear World 2-3.  Your run ends there.

-Highest score wins

-You have until 11:00 PM EST on Sunday, December 8, 2019 to submit your score.

For general contest rules, click here:

https://www.videogamesage.com/topic/1468-game-boy-weekly-contest-leaderboard-rules-20192020/

Good luck and have fun!

SCOREBOARD:

1. 170,400 (0xDEAFc0DE) +11
2. 169,960 (koifish) +10
3. 167,100 (acromite53) +9
4. 166,540 (arnpoly) +8
5. 146,820 (Bertsampson) +7
6. 141,480 (Link) +6
7. 138,510 (Splain) +5
8. 134,540 (Gloves) +4
9. 122,520 (Ausden) +3
10. 77,110 (Eugene) +3

Edited by Red
  • Like 2

Did a cold run-though to get used to the controls. It took three runs to make it to 2-3 deathless where I got 131200. I'll probably look stuff up now as I'm sure I missed several hidden things. I had never played mario for high score before, but it ended up not being too different since I naturally try to get all the coins and kill all the enemies 

Editorials Team · Posted
17 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I got 131200.

Yep, that's... a bit more than I'm getting, lol. I tried breezing through each level as quickly as possible, for the time bonus, but that's definitely not a winning strategy. It's definitely worth getting coins, since every second (or pseudo-second) is worth 10 points at the end, while every coin is worth 100. So any coin that takes less than 10 seconds to grab is a net gain. I'll have to put in a few more runs to find a good path.

I've never played this game much, despite being a GB junkie. It's good for my soul to dive into it like this.

[Was Picture of Old Score]

Finally, got a score where I hit every major thing in my route. Of course, I still made some minor mistakes, but I'm happy with this for now. Unfortunately, I discovered a rather risky strategy in 2-2 to get more points. I'm not sure if I want to grind runs with that strategy. 

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE
  • Like 1

[Was Picture of Old Score]

I'm now approaching the limit of my route. I took some time last night to boot up an emulator, so I could use save states to help look for optimizations in the later levels. I found improvements for 2-2 and 2-3. Although in the run above a slightly messed both them up. If I were to keep grinding, I could probably get over 163k, but probably not much more.

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE

From my own play, around 160k looks like it's close to the natural limit possible. Someone with some math and patience could figure out the absolute upper bounds of what is possible, I just couldn't do that myself. Better to create a map parser (ie. breakable block = 50, coin = 100, etc.) and feed the map data into it than try it manually. As for 160k~ish, I can get to around that mark, but not in one life just yet. Need more practice at not dying in world 2. If you really practice, you can probably spam some more points out of the blocks in 2-3 from sheer button mashing, but it will take a lot to get there IMO. Hope to post a score eventually once I get there alive and with a number that pleases me.

5 hours ago, Gloves said:

If I buy this on the 3ds eshop does that count? 

The general rules say, "It is highly encouraged to play with original software on original hardware, if possible." Since it's not possible for you, I think that's fine. Looking above, you'll notice that Bertsampson is using an emulator.

Administrator · Posted
40 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

The general rules say, "It is highly encouraged to play with original software on original hardware, if possible." Since it's not possible for you, I think that's fine. Looking above, you'll notice that Bertsampson is using an emulator.

Fair nuf! I checked the nearby stores and nobody had it, so it's about my only option. Kinda sucks since the controls on 3ds on retro games aren't great, but I'll make do.