IGNORED

Composite / RF consideration in homebrews

Mugi

6 hours ago, Sumez said:

it seems like you're massively misunderstanding what I'm saying anyway.

This is my feeling from the start.

6 hours ago, Sumez said:

claim that composite video could ever be considered in any way "superior" to component video such as RGB

This was never posed at any point. RGB is demonstrably better in every technical aspect compared to composite. 

The point was in spite of the low quality and limitations, this is the platform in which games where very often made for and expected to be run on. Thus some of the quirks are going to be lost on higher quality platforms that do not have the flaws that devs are exploiting. So effects that they intended you to be seeing are not present.

You seem to be arguing to a straw man since the beginning. and I don't understand the amendment vigor at which you feel you need to step in and debunk what people are saying, when it in fact is not what they are trying to convey. 

Sorry Mugi for the derail. While about composite video, this was not really relevant your inquiry.

it's fine really, related discussions are always interesting, although this whole "is it how developer intended" thing is a bit old now i guess 😛

From a personal point of view, as im developing my own game, i can surely say that it is intended to be used on a CRT, although as mentioned, im obviously paying attention also to the pixel perfect output of it. That said, the primary designated target is a CRT.

In Dimension Shift there are graphics present that do look muddy or blurred out on a CRT since they were drawn with pixel perfect displays in mind, but even so, it's been a balancing act from the start to get it to function good with both.

In my opinion, if you're targeting both during development, it's more or less impossible to reach a point where it is absolutely perfect in both, so one should just get to satisfactory compromise with the 2.

4 minutes ago, Mugi said:

it's been a balancing act from the start to get it to function good with both.

This is certainly a difficult thing. 

In many cases I have found an elegant small pixel pattern to convey some graphical aspect or feature and looks super in emulator when all the pixels are seen, then once the CRT or composite on LCD come into play it gets obscured away. 

Also on the flip side I have had things look great on CRT composite while being only terrible on LCD composite.

1 hour ago, TylerBarnes said:

This was never posed at any point. 

Trust me, it's something that comes up a lot lately, it's not a strawman.

Like I started out saying - I wasn't referring to you as much as the argument in general. And usually it's based around the claims about dithering and such that were brought up.
I apologize for passionately discussing subjects that I have an interest in 🙂