IGNORED

The one of a kind thread

B.A.

I thought it would be fun to talk about items in our collections that are truly one of a kind.  Not necessarily OMG worth super moniez discussion, but stuff that if you let it go you couldn't get another one.  

Some examples might be:

• An item used at an event or during a significant time in video game history
  • Something that can be traced back to a famous person, or even something specific you had growing up
  • Just anything you know there isn't another copy that is the same out there

This stuff could be valuable, but I'm talking beyond just dollars and cents.  Lets talk about unique items with a story behind them.  

So I have a couple in mind, but first here is one of my favorites. 

Nintendo Power issue 18 - Dr. Mario

20191122_124045.jpg

This was the issue that profiled finalists for the upcoming NWC 1990 competition.  

20191122_124454.jpg

So that's cool and all, but what's the big deal?  

As seen, the first profile is Thor Aackerlund, and as we know he was the one who went on to win the whole thing.  Well this was his subscription copy sent to him while he was preparing for the finals.  The champs personal copy! 

Inked20191122_124209_LI.jpg

I've always thought this was a pretty damn cool piece of unique memorabilia.  

Post em if you got em! 

• Like 16
  • Wow! 3

Nice thread idea and very cool mag to have! Reminds me of @Bearcat-Doug who's favorite group is 311 and had a 311 numbered NWC. That was a unique item for him.

Heres mine. Only confirmed sealed copy and likely the only one we'll ever see. I'm pretty confident about that after searching these and following them a decade. Bought directly from a former Walmart employee who bought this on day of release, and it was a Walmart exclusive.

Screenshot_20191122-144917_Instagram.jpg

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, bowser said:

I got a boxed Wii U from the local classifieds and everything looked normal except for the Wii U gamepad charging cradle. It has an embedded chip and an engraved plaque: 

rbesCxZ.jpg

9JrTMjl.jpg

It seems to be a commemorative piece for the Wii U graphics chip.

Super cool item! love it.

Need more than one of these cos I want one 🤣

Edited by dyer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Foochie776 said:

Brian dude that’s awesome! How did you get that? Did you buy it knowing or what is it a surprise?

I got to know Thor years ago, around the time The Ecstasy Of Order movie was being made.  He auctioned off something from that movie (something I will probably show in here later).  I ended up flying down to Texas to pick it up.  He was great, I hung out at his place for the weekend.  At some point he mentioned that we was planning on selling some stuff including Nintendo Powers, so I jumped at the chance to get this specific issue from him.   

• Like 3

Obviously this is not one of a kind, per say, but it IS the only documented instance of this particular version of the Dr. V64 so far.

Taiwan version rebranded as Partner V64:

received_2306434659673964.thumb.jpeg.22c167d84a0a5cc07b54b6ff0d0eeb38.jpeg

For a more personal choice, I also have my childhood copy of Yoshi's Island signed by Shigsy himself, so that's pretty cool! 🙂

IMG20191015202650.thumb.jpg.f5e9efd97a98f7e77cb99f5b363579e1.jpg

• Like 8

Only graded sealed copy of Way of the Warrior for 3DO. Not easy to come by today, but why care about some random MK clone?

This game was the dev's final chance to stay solvent as they were on the brink of bankruptcy. Most of the cast are friends of the devs and the costumes pieced together from whatever they could find.

It's rough, jenky and not many ppl played it, but it impressed Universal Interactive enough to hire them to make their next game in a new CA studio.

The dev called themselves Naughty Dog, and their next game would be Crash Bandicoot. 

Screenshot_20191123-130358.png

Edited by Startyde
  • Like 11

On 11/23/2019 at 6:10 PM, Startyde said:

Only graded sealed copy of Way of the Warrior for 3DO. Not easy to come by today, but why care about some random MK clone?

This game was the dev's final chance to stay solvent as they were on the brink of bankruptcy. Most of the cast are friends of the devs and the costumes pieced together from whatever they could find.

It's rough, jenky and not many ppl played it, but it impressed Universal Interactive enough to hire them to make their next game in a new CA studio.

The dev called themselves Naughty Dog, and their next game would be Crash Bandicoot. 

Screenshot_20191123-130358.png

What a cool story. Well done on this item. 

• Like 1

No way anyone else has this. Got it ironically enough from a guy in Australia, no idea this form was in the package until I received it.

While VIDEOMATION was licensed for the nes, it was unlicensed on the famicom. Here's an invoice for a copy purchased from the company that published it in Hong Kong.

IMG_20191126_224445.jpg

• Like 4

Also will share this one, dig it out from the archives while helping someone trying to track down some childhood games.

It's a catalogue of bootleg games from the Whirlwind Manu company. It's sadly incomplete, though the data inside is quite valuable. Again quite rare, possibly one of a kind.

IMG20191128005838.jpg

IMG20191128010141.jpg

• Like 9

I can't be for sure that this is the only one out there...  it certainly wasn't back in the day, but I doubt that anyone else kept it.  And I'm sure it falls into the "rare but probably not worth anything" category...  but I have a letter from Sega to retailers that came with promotional materials to help them sell the Sega Saturn.  Also have some of the promo material that was on the counter for customers to read and such... wish I had the VHS video that is mentioned in the letter, but I can't have everything.  (The imgur link is to a gallery of scans of all that stuff.)

https://imgur.com/gallery/2ZX4upv

• Like 3

On 11/30/2019 at 7:11 PM, Control Issues said:

I can't be for sure that this is the only one out there...  it certainly wasn't back in the day, but I doubt that anyone else kept it.  And I'm sure it falls into the "rare but probably not worth anything" category...  but I have a letter from Sega to retailers that came with promotional materials to help them sell the Sega Saturn.  Also have some of the promo material that was on the counter for customers to read and such... wish I had the VHS video that is mentioned in the letter, but I can't have everything.  (The imgur link is to a gallery of scans of all that stuff.)

https://imgur.com/gallery/2ZX4upv

Um, I love that stuff.  If you want to keep it for yourself, please do.  If you want to get rid of it, I and probably a few other around here would definitely be interested.  

I don't have the training video but the original promo VHS they mailed out to kids who dutifully filled out ther Genesis/Game Gear registrations cards too.  It's one of very few video game related items I've kept my whole life and is 95% of the reason why I love the Saturn.  The Saturn had such a bad experience in the US at launch, I can't help but love all of that stuff.

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 6:05 PM, fcgamer said:

Also will share this one, dig it out from the archives while helping someone trying to track down some childhood games.

It's a catalogue of bootleg games from the Whirlwind Manu company. It's sadly incomplete, though the data inside is quite valuable. Again quite rare, possibly one of a kind.

IMG20191128005838.jpg

IMG20191128010141.jpg

Nice item! Someone in the Vintage game paper group on Facebook was sharing photos of the various descriptions in that catalog a while back -- pretty funny stuff. The consistency of the humorous Engrish makes me wonder whether it was intentional, though.