IGNORED

Meme You Just Have to Share

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been our observation that some of the prettiest small birds are actually the meanest.  Cardinals will run off other birds.  We use to have a bird feeder attached to our window and they would run wrens off, even if they weren't hungry.

But, Blue Jays are the worst. Blue Jays will actually steal the young of other birds out of their nests, fly far away, and then just drop the bird.  We saw this once and had to google it and, sure enough, they do it out of spite.  Baby bird remains have almost never been found in the stomachs of Blue Jays.

What was both sad and cool about that though, and I'm not making this up.  There was a momma bird that had we saw have two of it's babies stolen.  We were mortified because we watch our birds.  The next day, the same dang Blue Jay came back and I kid you not, Momma had assembled a bird mob.  There were at least 5 other birds, of various species in her tree, and there were a couple of others in the yard.  When that Blue Jay jerk showed up, they all started squawking and some flew at it.

It's like they entire bird-kingdom knows that Blue Jays are rat bastards and they all were sticking up for this one bird and this last baby.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RH said:

It's been our observation that some of the prettiest small birds are actually the meanest.  Cardinals will run off other birds.  We use to have a bird feeder attached to our window and they would run wrens off, even if they weren't hungry.

But, Blue Jays are the worst. Blue Jays will actually steal the young of other birds out of their nests, fly far away, and then just drop the bird.  We saw this once and had to google it and, sure enough, they do it out of spite.  Baby bird remains have almost never been found in the stomachs of Blue Jays.

What was both sad and cool about that though, and I'm not making this up.  There was a momma bird that had we saw have two of it's babies stolen.  We were mortified because we watch our birds.  The next day, the same dang Blue Jay came back and I kid you not, Momma had assembled a bird mob.  There were at least 5 other birds, of various species in her tree, and there were a couple of others in the yard.  When that Blue Jay jerk showed up, they all started squawking and some flew at it.

It's like they entire bird-kingdom knows that Blue Jays are rat bastards and they all were sticking up for this one bird and this last baby.

If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend David Attenborough's The Life of Birds. Honestly I recommend pretty much everything by him. At any rate, I wouldn't say that Blue Jays steal young "out of spite". They do it do give their own young an advantage, and yes, birds definitely will flock together and attack threats. 

On 10/14/2020 at 11:01 AM, RH said:

RH,

I could have sworn you used to live in Washington but maybe not.  We have Stellar jays here and they are the worst jerk offs ever.  They do look cool with their mo-hawks but dang they are the meanest birds ever.

1 hour ago, Matchbook said:

RH,

I could have sworn you used to live in Washington but maybe not.  We have Stellar jays here and they are the worst jerk offs ever.  They do look cool with their mo-hawks but dang they are the meanest birds ever.

Nah. I grew up in South Carolina went to college in Georgia and lived there a couple years afterwards and then moved to North Carolina. I'm about as Southern as the come, but mostly without the accent.