jonebone

Wata Crossover Article Finally Up!

A lot of people had been asking me for this, and it originally kicked off with a thread on NA.  I had been pushing for the analysis to get out before the HA listings completed and here it is.

https://www.watagames.com/learn/blog/post/wata-crossovers/

Cliff notes for the lazy, these are the rough rule of thumb "sweet spots" for average crossovers within a grade.  Any specific game may fall outside of that range though.

80 -> 8.5 / B+ to 9.2 / A
80+ -> 9.0 / A to 9.4 / A+
85 -> 9.0 / A to 9.6 / A+
85+ -> 9.2 / A to 9.6 / A++
90 -> 9.4 / A+ to 9.8 / A++

If you love talking data or do more advanced analysis, I encourage you to read the article.  Share any thoughts here and I'd be glad to answer any questions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Great article. Good to see there's a clear trend and it isn't random. RIP to that VGA 85 that crossed over to a Wata 7.0 / A. Ouch.

Your first chart has a typo of = where 9.0 should be I think FYI.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1

BEFORE I READ INTO IT- LET ME POST MY GUESS:

9.4 -> 85/85+

9.2 -> 85/80+

9.0 -> 80+/80
8.5 -> 80/75

Edit: Seems I'm way off and in a different direction. You've even taken seal ratings into account. Very nice work Jonas. I'm gonna read the entire article now 😛

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 1

Well you summed it up well at the end and I was thinking the same thing after looking at the data. Lack of consistency with no fixed pattern. Comparing these 2 populations against each other is interesting. I use Minitab at work and wonder if there are some analysis programs to run the raw data through to get a p-value. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

Great article. Good to see there's a clear trend and it isn't random. RIP to that VGA 85 that crossed over to a Wata 7.0 / A. Ouch.

Your first chart has a typo of = where 9.0 should be I think FYI.

I see that, that's the Wata editor goof!  It looks good on the version I submitted 😉

Just now, jonebone said:

I see that, that's the Wata editor goof!  It looks good on the version I submitted 😉

I was wrong to doubt you. Can I add this to the list of Wata typos.

Very nice analysis Jone. About a 10 percentage inflation like many sumised. Cardboard will likely differ from jewelcase but it looks like VGA 85+ and 90 top out at Wata 9.6 and 9.8, which means it would make no sense to crossover VGA 90+ or higher as they will likely be normalized to Wata 9.8, with a slim to no chance of Wata 100. VGA appears to literally go beyond the Wata scale for granularity, which I personally dig.

TLDR: Interesting to see the numbers.

Great info, appreciate the work jonebone.

Are people regrading their VGAs for better grades now?

Great @jonebone

Did you take a look to see if there is a pattern of « systematically higher » crossover grades from carolina collection 85+ vs other 85+ or are the results similar?

46 minutes ago, Jim Jimmer said:

Did you take a look to see if there is a pattern of « systematically higher » crossover grades from carolina collection 85+ vs other 85+ or are the results similar?

I was wondering the same thing...

5 hours ago, kell said:

I was wondering the same thing...

Yeah i mean, to be clear i don’t expect it to be the case at all, but since the data is there might as well check it out!

As usual @jonebone posting the exact information I am researching and/or looking for.  

Last year it was the Final Fantasy 7 variants post. Now with the VGA to WATA breakdown. 

Good stuff and thanks for the information! 🤓