IGNORED

What Exactly Do Comics Have in Common with Games? Why Not Cards / Toys / Etc... Which is the Best Analogy?

jonebone

1 hour ago, Shmup said:

I enjoy comics and have some sets that I like (mainly Alan Moore's stuff) but I also don't see the big parallels between video game collecting and comics. It feels a bit forced to me and more like a selling technique to get comic collectors onboard. 

At the end of the day I hope video game collecting makes its own path in the collecting world and doesn't turn into comic collecting. 

It definitely needs to walk its own path I agree.    

Understand though that the parallels being drawn are not between the active part of the hobbies themselves (reading, playing).    The parallels being drawn are from the perspective of demographics impacting value.   (Many 12 year old readers turned into many 50 year old collectors turned into items worth $$$ - and many 12 yr old game players resulting in adult collectors resulting in $$$).   

Edited by Bronty

33 minutes ago, Bronty said:

It definitely needs to walk its own path I agree.    

Understand though that the parallels being drawn are not between the active part of the hobbies themselves (reading, playing).    The parallels being drawn are from the perspective of demographics impacting value.   (Many 12 year old readers turned into many 50 year old collectors turned into items worth $$$ - and many 12 yr old game players resulting in adult collectors resulting in $$$).   

That was my experience when I was in the vintage baseball card hobby. I got into it because I bought Topps baseball cards at the town drug store in the '80s, but I also enjoy baseball history which is what drew me to the older cards. Most of the people on the vintage card message boards back then were in their 50s and 60s. I was the outlier in my then 20s. The guys spending 6-7 figures were the older collectors, which is what will likely be the case here as long as that base doesn't outgrow the hobby. 60-70 year olds dropping 6-7 figures on a vintage baseball card really doesn't seem odd. I'm pushing 40 and if said that I spent that kind of money on a video game related item it might be more heavily questioned. It wouldn't bother me personally, but I can see where it might be an issue for others.

• 3 weeks later...

So as a comic and game collector nostalgia takes the biggest part of this. Unfortunately the way the market is everyone that is a perfectionist has raised the value of them higher and higher needing the mint most perfect ones. For comics the grading concept is a great idea for older comics to help preserve them from deteriorating but grading new comics is pointless.(unless your only a reseller and have no love for the industry and prefers greed over the community) but most books should be read and enjoyed. The same goes to video games if a game is sealed or is a one of a kind prototype then grading is fine for the preservation of the games. Grading cib or loose games I feel is a joke the people who do that are just out for the money and don’t care about the true love and joy of the games. Now as time has continued the use of ROMS has been more and more so you can still play the games but the collectors market has definitely started shifting. I have also noticed  many horders have been stock piling selected games making certain games more desirable like key comics. 
Ocourse this is just my opinion