IGNORED

#PCMasterRace

Gloves

Welp - Just plopped down a substantial amount of the Stimulus ca$h for a new rig

I've been running the same cpu+mobo+ram for the past 8 years, so it was about time

Planning on re-using my existing Nvidia GTX 1060 graphics card with the follow new kit:

Hopefully all of it should arrive by Monday (give or take virus-delays)

cpu.png

18 minutes ago, Tekdrudge said:

I'm one the few people I know that was a hardcore PC gamer, but has decided to switch to console. Primarily because its just easier. Also, I prefer to use a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard. I like the "Lean Back" experience and I can't get that from a PC.

Honestly, I've found that in the past few years if you're not going the piracy route and have a reasonably up to date setup that doesn't require a ton of settings tweaks to get stuff to look and run decently, the experience is extremely similar on PC as it is with consoles.  I totally understand just not wanting to fool with fighting with setups and settings and updates, etc., but for the most part, if you go the Steam route and (again) have a decent PC setup you're golden.  I've had more problems with updates for the PS4 and games on it in the past 2 years than I've had out of any PC in the house, which has frankly amazed me.  If it's been a while since you made the switch, you might want to take a look over the fence and see if it's worth straddling the fence again or just switching sides outright.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted

One of the best things about pc vs console is the whole backwards compatibility issue hardly exists at all. I can easily download and play a game form the 90s in minutes on my newly built pc. And everything in between. AND if you wanna be a bit devious, basically ALL the console games too. Strictly speaking to gaming, it's hardly a contest. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

Honestly, I've found that in the past few years if you're not going the piracy route and have a reasonably up to date setup that doesn't require a ton of settings tweaks to get stuff to look and run decently, the experience is extremely similar on PC as it is with consoles.  I totally understand just not wanting to fool with fighting with setups and settings and updates, etc., but for the most part, if you go the Steam route and (again) have a decent PC setup you're golden.  I've had more problems with updates for the PS4 and games on it in the past 2 years than I've had out of any PC in the house, which has frankly amazed me.  If it's been a while since you made the switch, you might want to take a look over the fence and see if it's worth straddling the fence again or just switching sides outright.

Same here.  My gaming computer is coming up on now 6 years of age, yet despite that, due to the mid-tier i7, 8GB of ram on the nvidia 980, the 16gb of base it has too I can still run a modern console game at anywhere from at least medium across the board settings up to maxed out at the 1080p level.  I had some concern Star Wars Squadrons wouldn't hack it, but I run that at medium or a hair higher and it runs smooth.  So you're right, anyone with a semi-recent computer and using a video card on the tier of mine or better is going to be better off.  I had the same annoyances with PS4 updates, yet on PC with steam/gog you just click it and it stars.  I've got the 360 controller for xbox that also works as a wired PC controller so everything is no different than playing on a console for me, yet I get the benefit of better performance, better handling, and far better pricing on games (steam/gog) than on the console and those games will work long after my PC is replaced (which won't happen on the walled console garden.)

• Like 2

well, I've got *almost* all of my new parts in the mail.. Just waiting on the new case

new hardware looks so shiney and spiffy!

Opened up my current rig and yanked the GTX 1060 out (replaced it with my old GTX 460 for the time being while I get the new rig setup) pro-tip for anyone running linux .. make sure if you downgrade you still have an old kernel installed with the right nvidia drivers!

IMG_20201024_210637.jpg

Edited by Pendragonx
pictures!
  • Like 2

On 10/22/2020 at 8:54 PM, darkchylde28 said:

If it's been a while since you made the switch, you might want to take a look over the fence and see if it's worth straddling the fence again or just switching sides outright.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are many benefits to being a PC Gamer. Technically speaking PC's are the best way to game. I personally have the reached the point that I just wanna sit on my couch and hit the power button on my controller and start playing. I tried Steam's "Big Picture Mode" and didn't care for the experience. It was very clunky. I even bought a Steam Link for it. I think the best way to play PC games is in a chair in front of a monitor. However, I do not care to play this way anymore. Also, I like the idea of paying $400-$500 for a console that I know will "Just work" for seven years. You are looking to spend somewhere in the the neighborhood of $600-$700 for a lower end gaming rig that will last you about 5 years before it ages out for new releases. No when it comes to PC game pricing, nothing beats it. That is why I rarely buy console games on release and wait for them to go on sale. My play style and economics is what cause me shy away from PC gaming.

Administrator · Posted
21 minutes ago, Tekdrudge said:

Don't get me wrong, I know there are many benefits to being a PC Gamer. Technically speaking PC's are the best way to game. I personally have the reached the point that I just wanna sit on my couch and hit the power button on my controller and start playing. I tried Steam's "Big Picture Mode" and didn't care for the experience. It was very clunky. I even bought a Steam Link for it. I think the best way to play PC games is in a chair in front of a monitor. However, I do not care to play this way anymore. Also, I like the idea of paying $400-$500 for a console that I know will "Just work" for seven years. You are looking to spend somewhere in the the neighborhood of $600-$700 for a lower end gaming rig that will last you about 5 years before it ages out for new releases. No when it comes to PC game pricing, nothing beats it. That is why I rarely buy console games on release and wait for them to go on sale. My play style and economics is what cause me shy away from PC gaming.

I have to disagree w/ the sentiment that consoles "just work". I had an absolutely terrible experience with the PS4, overall. Absolute worst console Sony has put out BY FAR. And the XBOne wasn't much better either. And beyond that, consider that just about everyone (myself included) has experienced drift on their Switch Joycons. 

I'm far too tired right now to go into detail suffice it to say that I've not been happy with this gen of consoles at all, with the exception of a few specific games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I have to disagree w/ the sentiment that consoles "just work". I had an absolutely terrible experience with the PS4, overall. Absolute worst console Sony has put out BY FAR. And the XBOne wasn't much better either. And beyond that, consider that just about everyone (myself included) has experienced drift on their Switch Joycons. 

I'm far too tired right now to go into detail suffice it to say that I've not been happy with this gen of consoles at all, with the exception of a few specific games.

My apologies. I probably should have been more specific. In my experience they "Just work". I can't speak for Xbox, because I'm a Playstation guy. However, I have not had a single issue with both my PS4's. I have heard of people having issues with PS4 updates and what-not, but this is something I have not run into with my systems. I have had far issues with my gaming PC than I have had with consoles. Granted, this is mostly on Microsoft's side with Windows Update breaking things on my machine. Everyone's experience is different.

16 hours ago, Gloves said:

You got that right.  I had the PS4 for around two years, about half of that (maybe a bit less) it just sat almost going to waste used for only movies/streaming movies.  The hardware wasn't that good, didn't like the controller changes as they got in the way.  The updated got annoying, not that they were much less obnoxious on PS3, but all of that I could forgive if I found the games in some appreciable way better, and they were most definitely not, at least stuff bound to their hardware alone, the rest my old gaming computer here could already outperform it so it was a space waster entirely.  I do recall also anytime the power was lost to the system (outage, etc) it didn't just like to turn back on without going through some dumb time wasting steps either, and the controller always seems to run out of battery sooner than a PS3 one did.  A friend had the lame MS option, seemed to have similar if not more complaints.  In both cases it seems they loved to get people signed up for their paid networks using free game bait every month to keep people pacified and distracted, or is that just me?

• Like 1

It's been quite a while since I built a new PC, although I did update the GPU a couple years ago for VR. I rarely play games on it anymore and a new build would just be for more VR and the occasional tactics or sim game. My current build:

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer (I'M A HARDCORE GAMER111!!!!)
CPU: Intel i7-4790K @4.4 GHz
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X OC EDITION
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2400 
Storage: Crucial M500 480GB SATA 2.5” SSD
PSU: HEC 850W Power Supply - 80+ Silver - HEC-850TS
Monitor: VIOTEK GN34C 34 Inch Curved Gaming Monitor WQHD 3440 x 1440 Widescreen 100hz

It may be old, but it's still incredibly quick and plays most games at a nice framerate at a widescreen 1440p resolution.

• Like 2

welp.. got some stuff together now

I've got it up and running a LIVE OS from a USB stick at the moment.. I've never seen that many cores/threads running on one of my machines before.. pretty sweet!

gunna do some disc cloning and backups for the M.2 drives .. hopefully it all goes well! Haven't run into any huge problems yet ::knocks on wood::

20201028221045_IMG_20201025_125833.jpg

20201028220848_IMG_20201025_130158.jpg

IMG_20201025_131256.jpg

IMG_20201025_135957.jpg

IMG_20201026_190627.jpg

IMG_20201027_213411.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1