IGNORED

Konami: A Genesis Collecting Guide

RoyalT

Credit to SuperGamBoy for this OP.  Porting over from a previous site that has been reduced to ashes.   I have found this type of information to be essential for collecting on the Genesis. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A little while ago I put together a “guide” for Sega Club releases.  I thought I would follow it up with a collecting guide for Konami games released for the Sega Genesis.  This project has taken me a little longer than I expected as I had overlooked a few variants.  In going back through my games I also realized that one or two of my games needed completing, which delayed the process.  A few of my games are sealed, so I may end up requesting some pictures from other users to fill in a few “gaps.”

For collecting purposes, I count 14 main Konami releases for the Sega Genesis.  This number is debatable and I’ll name the other games and briefly spell out my reasoning after the list.

1. Animaniacs [1994] – 4 total releases
  2. Castlevania: Bloodlines [1994] – 3 total releases
  3. Contra: Hard Corps [1994] – 3 total releases
  4. Double Dribble: The Playoff Edition [1994] – 1 release
  5. Lethal Enforcers [1993] (Big Box) – 1 release
  6. Lethal Enforcers II: Gunfighters [1994] – 1 release
  7. Rocket Knight Adventures [1993] – 1 release (two print-runs with UPC change)
  8. Sparkster [1994] – 1 release
  9. Sunset Riders [1992] – 1 release
  10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist [1992] – 1 release
  11. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters [1993] – 2 total releases
  12. Tiny Toon Adventures: ACME All-Stars [1994] – 2 total releases
  13. Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster’s Hidden Treasure [1993] – 4 releases
  14. Zombies Ate My Neighbors [1993] – 1 release

Including all variants, there are 26 total Konami releases for the Genesis.

Additional releases:

1. Junction [1990] – developed by Konami for arcades but licensed to Micronet who ported and published the game for the Genesis 
    This game has one release.  A sealed copy was opened by galacticlint and it contained no additional inserts
  2. Frogger [1998] – developed by Konami in 1981 but published by Hasbro Interactive / Majesco Sales Inc. (no prominent Konami branding)
    This game has one release.  It includes the standard Majesco Sales Inc. registration card.

The Main Releases:
These five games all include the same inserts: a non-game-specific red/white Konami registration card and a “16 Bits Coming At You head On!” foldable poster.
D5hGIIw.jpg
Rocket Knight Adventures, Sunset Riders, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster’s Hidden Treasure, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Hyperstone Heist
IL8MHfO.jpg
I've recently realized that although these registration cards do not state the name of the game on them, they do have identifying numbers in the bottom right corner that line up to each separate game.  Check out the second post in the thread for more information on registration cards.

Castlevania Bloodlines and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters include a game-specific red/white registration card and a “How Many Hits Can you Take?” Lethal Enforcers poster:
asqXxNN.jpg
hhEK00W.jpg
The registration card for Castlevania: Bloodlines is slightly larger than the one for Tournament Fighters.  The registration card for Castlevania: Bloodlines has the numbers 16005 right corner.  Tournament Fighters has the numbers 16006.

Animaniacs and Double Dribble: The Playoff Edition include game-specific red/white registration cards. 
yk0UAx4.jpg
UT43sBz.jpg
I do not believe these games included the Lethal Enforcers poster.  The registration card for Animaniacs has the numbers 16014 in the bottom right corner. I currently only own a factory sealed copy of Double Dribble and can't check the registration card for its identification numbers.

These next four games include only a game-specific white registration card.
u2zeRVb.jpg
Contra: Hard Corps, Lethal Enforcers II: Gun Fighters, Sparkster, Tiny Toon Adventures: ACME All-Stars
7aA3yMD.jpg
The registration card for Contra: Hard Corps has the identification numbers 16011.  Sparkster has the numbers 16012. My copies of Gunfighters and ACME All-Stars are sealed.

Lastly, here is the Big Box release for the first Lethal Enforcers game:
5Q1OsaI.jpg
Lethal Enforcers includes a game-specific red/white registration card and a "How Many Hits Can You Take? Lethal Enforcers poster.  The inserts are in the same style as Castlevania and Bloodlines, I just listed Lethal Enforcers separately because of the big box.

Variants and Re-Releases:
Konami re-released many of its games either under the Konami Classics label or as cardboard releases (or both!). 

The Konami Classics games were pretty similar in appearance to the original releases but included the word “Classics” in small print under the Konami logo.  Four games were released in clamshells with the Konami Classics logo.  Each game includes a white non-game-specific registration card.
qpkYZi2.jpg
Animaniacs, Contra: Hard Corps, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure, and Tiny Toon Adventures: ACME All-Stars
gltY17M.jpg
jNBM9UO.jpg
The Classics logo for Buster's Hidden Treasure is slightly different, with a large, cursive letter "C."
jJVizXG.jpg
These registration cards say 16000 in the bottom right corner.  
0QJgkbi.jpg
These games were assembled in Mexico and utilize recycled Acclaim cases.  The corners of the hang-tabs are sharp.  Inside the clamshells and on the backs of the carts, the Acclaim logos are covered with black stickers.

Konami also released two of its Konami Classics games as cardboard releases.  Animaniacs and Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure each got two cardboard releases: fliptop and slide box.
TqSWQWV.jpg
R4F15Xn.jpg
All four of these cardboard releases (and every cardboard Konami release) contain only a "Majesco Sales GENESIS Classics" registration card.
h3RvSm8.jpg
These releases were assembled in Mexico, like the clamshell Konami Classics releases, but the carts are not reused Acclaim carts.

Castlevania: Bloodlines received two cardboard releases, both slide box and fliptop.
mK865Ha.jpg
Both releases include only a "Majeso Sales GENESIS Classics" registration card.

Contra: Hard Corps and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters also received cardboard releases.
oDIvJHf.jpg
Both games include only a "Majeso Sales GENESIS Classics" registration card.

Group Pictures:
These images aim to show side-by-side comparisons of any game that had more than 1 release.
zSiyfKN.jpg
8pcKJ3f.jpg
bDTPKpy.jpg
S9EEETY.jpg
nsGog0F.jpg
d4gxR4F.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 10 months later...

Great article and nice collection! Really helpful to understand my Ninja Turtles Genesis game releases. Do you still have the Tournament Fighters sealed game? I have it sealed in the clamshell and have been searching for the boxed version sealed. Would love to see if your interested in parting with it. Thanks! mpolce3@gmail.com

• 7 months later...