IGNORED

Your Favorite Assembler and Why?

MachineCode

Favorite NES Assembler  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite NES assembler?

• NESASM3
    • CA65
    • ASM6
    • Other (please explain in comments)

Thank you to everyone who answered. I have started back up again using ASM6. Mainly because I already had it, knew a little about it already, it polled higher than NESASM3, and some of the positive comments. So far I can render Mario to the screen as a meta sprite, move the entire meta sprite in 8 directions, and have him do the run animation cycle when I hold A. The animation can also be sped up or slowed down based on the value of a frame delay constant.

CA65 is the only 6502/NES assembler I have experience with.

I've kept using it because so far it's been able to do everything I ever need, and a whole lot more. It also builds for 65816 CPUs, which is a big bonus - no reason to learn new stuf for SNES programming.

I don't know anything about ASM6, and the only impressions I have of NESASM are the occasional stories that I keep hearing (almost constantly tbh) about various issues with it. Having to manually specify Zero Page access in order to get any advantage from it every single time sounds like a bother.

That said, my absolute #1 reason for sticking with CA65, however, is the very thorough output of debug symbols it produces when building its output. I'm sure the other assemblers have something similar, but with these one I know for certain that I can use them to make my own custom 6502 programming IDE extremely user friendly, in terms of how breakpoints, and watch values, etc. are assigned.

EDwrSJWU8AIHC90?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sumez said:

CA65 is the only 6502/NES assembler I have experience with.

I've kept using it because so far it's been able to do everything I ever need, and a whole lot more. It also builds for 65816 CPUs, which is a big bonus - no reason to learn new stuf for SNES programming.

I don't know anything about ASM6, and the only impressions I have of NESASM are the occasional stories that I keep hearing (almost constantly tbh) about various issues with it. Having to manually specify Zero Page access in order to get any advantage from it every single time sounds like a bother.

That said, my absolute #1 reason for sticking with CA65, however, is the very thorough output of debug symbols it produces when building its output. I'm sure the other assemblers have something similar, but with these one I know for certain that I can use them to make my own custom 6502 programming IDE extremely user friendly, in terms of how breakpoints, and watch values, etc. are assigned.

EDwrSJWU8AIHC90?format=jpg&name=medium

That debugger looks slick.