IGNORED

Sega Genesis CIB Contents Spreadsheet

supergamboy

Here's the last few items I've found:

Jack Nicklaus' Power Challenge Golf - what is the 3rd hardtop variant?

Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Crossroads of Time - listed as clamshell, should be slide box

Streets of Rage - missing the Canadian release

T2: The Arcade Game - might be worth noting this was a pack-in with the Menacer gun (at least my copy was, not sure if it was sold separately)

Warpspeed - listed as clamshell, should be hard top

X-Men 2: Clone Wars - 1st release listed as clamshell, both releases should be slide box

Edit: Just got my copy of Joshua and it has two styrofoam pieces, they're packed in the box like this:

ynNvm2s.jpg

So I suspect all the WT games come like this and my Exodus is just missing the 2nd piece.

Edited by billybob884
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I've been having a discussion on reddit with user Tripredacus-Agent, who manages a Genesis list on vgcollect.com, and he was kind enough to compare this ongoing list with his own and pointed out a number of missing variants. I've spent the last few days researching his comments, and ended up agreeing with most of them, so I put together pictures and a description for each:

• 6-Pak - There are two releases of the slide box, a Majesco one, and a Ballistic one (sticker on back) 

glLoBah.jpg

• Beavis and Butthead - This is the only picture/reference I could find to it, but there apparently was a big-box release of this with a hat/t-shirt included (hard to tell if the game is a clamshell or cardboard box though): https://vgcollect.com/item/170112 I tried to clean the picture up a little, but it's still not great

zxUEQWb.jpg

• Bill Walsh College Football - There are two cover variants with difference in the front lower-left blue badge, one says "Not sponsered..." and the other doesn't.

7V881Yj.jpg

• Bulls vs Lakers and the NBA Playoffs - A few notes on this one, after looking through ~60 boxes on ebay, there doesn't seem to be a "1st Round Limited Edition" release. There is however a variant for the case art of the non-1st round release: one says "EASN Presents", and the other says "EA Sports Electronic Arts Presents"

LlnvgOO.jpg

• Captain America and the Avengers - Given that we're not tracking "Value Pak" sticker releases, I'm not sure if we want to track this, but there appears to be two clamshell variants - one with a "Collector's Pin Inside" sticker on the clamshell plastic, and one without. It's possible the one's without the sticker are plastic swaps, but there are so many listed on ebay both with and without that it seems like the game actually had a release without the pin.

kQ05EYj.jpg

• The Duel - Test Drive II - This one's a little tougher to track. I see two variants of the VGC release on ebay: One with a "Free Poster Inside" badge and one without.
    For the non-VGC, I'm only finding the one variant (with the poster badge).
    The rub is I'm finding four cartridge label variants, and pretty much no consistency between listing for which box has which cart. I'm sure some listings are mismatches, but as to which are which...
    Carts:
    1) Cars moving vertically, pink zig-zag borders
    2) Cars moving horizontally, flat gray background
    3) Solid yellow label with no cars
    4) Solid white label with no cars ** Note, I've only been able to spot this loose: https://vgcollect.com/item/102881 & https://theclassicgame.co.uk/shop/sega/mega-drive-md-sega/duel-the-test-drive-ii/

JHJdxs7.jpg

Here's a breakdown of which pieces I saw listed together:

z71wWnR.jpg

• Greendog Beached Surfer Dude - There are two cart variants - One with number "670-2286" on cart label, and one without (cases/manuals appear to otherwise be identical)

glZOWCf.jpg

• Hard Drivin - There are three clamshell variations:
    1) Has case art text "Manufactured for play on the SEGA GENESIS SYSTEM" & "Made in Japan" on back, color manual, cart has "Made in Japan" and only "Caution" text
    2) Has case art text "Manufactured for play on the SEGA GENESIS SYSTEM" & "Made in Japan" on back, color manual, cart has "Made in Japan" and full patent info text
    3) Has case art text "Manufactured by Sega Enterprises Ltd. For play on the SEGA GENESIS SYSTEM" ("Assembled in USA" on reverse), color manual, cart has "Made in USA" on back
    Also, for the slide box variant, it might be worth noting that the cart has "Assembled in Mexico" with a black sticker over it, & a b/w manual

qaJSmiH.jpg

• Home Alone - There are two variants of the cart label, one with the number "670-2327", and one without (both are made in japan)

GtfGbOd.jpg

• Joe Montana II Sports Talk Football - There are two minor clamshell variants: one has "we use recycled paper" on the back under the barcode, has the number "670-1763-01" under the 1 or 2 players badge, is printed in Japan, and has "1209C" on the spine. The other doesn’t have the "recycled paper" text or the 670 number, is printed in USA, and has "1209" on the spine.

b3lWHCT.jpg

• John Madden Football '93 - There are three clamshell variants:
    1) Case has "EASN Presents" at the top and a "1st Round" badge
    2) Case has "EASN Presents" at the top but no "1st Round" badge
    3) Case has "EA Sports Presents" at the top

DO1gz7w.jpg

• The Lion King - There are two minor clamshell variants: one has "Made in USA" on the back of the case under the barcode and on the cart. The other has "Assembled in Mexico" on the back of the case under the barcode and a sticker on the cart.

iKppnOT.jpg

• NHL Hockey - There are three regular (non-thin) clamshell variants:
    1) Case has "Electronic Arts" at the top
    2) Case has "EA Sports" at the top
    3) Case has "EASN Presents" at the top

(the right-most is the thin-case release)

MU5TrSz.jpg

• NHLPA Hockey '93 - There are four variants (all come in regular EA clamshells):
    1) Case has "EASN Presents" at the top and a "1st Round" badge, "Made in Taiwan" on cart label
    2) Case has "EASN Presents" at the top and a "1st Round" badge, "Assembled in USA" on cart label
    3) Case has "EASN Presents" at the top but no "1st Round" badge, "Assembled in USA" on cart label
    4) Case has "EA Sports Presents" at the top, "Assembled in USA" on cart label
    I checked through ~110 ebay results and these seem pretty consistent, except one Taiwan cart being in a EA Sports box, but I suspect it was a mismatch

FvN1YOJ.jpg

• Pac-Man 2 The New Adventures - There are 2 cardboard variants, one slide box and one flip top.

6KH5wlC.jpg

• PGA Tour Golf - There are 3 cart label variants:
    1) Top says "Electronic Arts", bottom has number 7002 (A)
    2) Top says "Electronic Arts", bottom has number 7002
    3) Top says "EA Sports", bottom has number 7002, logo has red text *
    * Out of ~60 ebay listings, I could only find one of these, and the case/manual had "Electronic Arts", not "EA Sports", so not sure if the case is a mismatch, but either way, its a new variant

4wuwu6t.jpg

• PGA Tour Golf II - Tripredacus claims there are 7 variant combinations, but after sorting through ~110 ebay listings, I was only able to confirm 4 (and his description doesn't make clear what the other three should be):
    1) Case has "1st Round Limited Edition" badge, no red badge. Cart has number 7155.
    2) Case doesn't have "1st Round" badge, has red "If it's on the tour" sticker. Cart has number 7155.
    3) Case doesn't have "1st Round" badge, has red "If it's on the tour" sticker. Cart has number 7155A.
    4) Case doesn't have "1st Round" badge, no red badge. Cart has number 7155.
    Note that the difference between carts "7155A" and "7155" is the game ROM. "A" has 6 courses and "7155" has 7 courses.

IG9dKi0.jpg

• Populous - There are at least 6 cart label variants:
    1) 7016
    2) 7016 B (sticker)
    3) 7016 C (printed)
    4) 7016 C (sticker)
    5) 7016 D (printed)
    6) 7016 D (sticker)
    They are presumably ROM variants

WgmXQ37.jpg

• The Revenge of Shinobi - You're missing the Canadian variant (which I think I mentioned in an earlier post). @RoyalT has a bunch of pictures/description here: (Edit: scratch that, it's actually your original list!)

• Road Rash II - There are 2 clamshell variants, one with a "Head 2 head" sticker, and one without

ejGMo6a.jpg

• Shaq Fu - There are two clamshell variants:
    1) One with a yellow "Rap CD" sticker (and a CD included under the cellophane), and a red "Free CD inside" badge on the back.
    2) One without the yellow sticker and red badge.
    The yellow sticker is only on the cellophane of sealed copies, but the red badge is part of the case art.

ip465Hd.jpg

• Streets of Rage - There are 2 cart label variants for the non-classics release: one with the number "670-1600", and one without

Xw3SSSa.jpg

• You're also missing the Canadian variant (which I think I mentioned in an earlier post). @RoyalT has a bunch of pictures/description here: (Edit: scratch that, it's actually your original list!)
  • Streets of Rage 2 - There are 2 cart label variants for the non-NFR release: one with the number "670-2483", and one without

0ZSsWBw.jpg

• Super Off Road - There are 2 cart label variants for the non-classics release.

WotWlXC.jpg

• TaleSpin - There are 2 cart label variants for the US release: one with the number "670-2284", and one without (the art is zoomed in on the non-number cart)

yfOWmMN.jpg

• Taz-Mania - There are 2 cart label variants for the US non-ESRB release: one with the number "670-2170", and one without

YfJ10Ub.jpg

• Winter Challenge - There are 2 cart label variants for the classics release: one with yellow text, and one with white

aQr3VmK.jpg

Edited by billybob884
fixed broken image link
  • Like 2

On 12/10/2019 at 9:11 PM, billybob884 said:

Here's the last few items I've found:

Jack Nicklaus' Power Challenge Golf - what is the 3rd hardtop variant?

Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Crossroads of Time - listed as clamshell, should be slide box

Streets of Rage - missing the Canadian release

T2: The Arcade Game - might be worth noting this was a pack-in with the Menacer gun (at least my copy was, not sure if it was sold separately)

Warpspeed - listed as clamshell, should be hard top

X-Men 2: Clone Wars - 1st release listed as clamshell, both releases should be slide box

Edit: Just got my copy of Joshua and it has two styrofoam pieces, they're packed in the box like this:

ynNvm2s.jpg

So I suspect all the WT games come like this and my Exodus is just missing the 2nd piece.

Thank you SO MUCH! I've always wondered how those Wisdom Tree games were packaged. I have Exodus but it did not have any foam and I thought it was so weird that they wouldn't have anything in there so the box didn't crush. 

Thank you for going through everything with such detail and for working with that reddit user (I have may talked with him at Sega-16 before).  I set the spreadsheet to auto-populate the box type to Clamshell then went back through them manually, so there were definitely some I missed. I appreciate the second set of eyes.

Jack Nicklaus - I have deleted the 3rd release, as I can’t remember what it was

Wisdom Tree games - I have added “Styrofoam Block(s)” to each one. The two blocks look right like that, but I’m just surprised I’ve never seen it before.  It could be that I just wasn’t thinking in terms of my yet-to-be-created spreadsheet, but hopefully we’ll see them in that arrangement again a couple times. As a cheap company, 1 block seems believable and I could see the second one being a collector solution (but then again, how would they get a second?)

Beavis and Butthead - that game with the big box is definitely a clamshell

Bill Walsh - This one is interesting.  The smaller blue box with the reduced text (ie no “Not sponsored or endorsed by any team or school”) is on every single instruction manual.  I can’t find a single box that has the smaller text.  However, the bigger blue box looks like a sticker, both in your picture and here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesis-Bill-Walsh-College-Football/323649994344?hash=item4b5b0afe68:g:heAAAOSw87lcFdpx

Is it possible that they were all printed with a small blue box and then a sticker had to be added to each one to clarify?

So my guess would be Small Blue Box = 1st print
But from your picture, it appears that the Small Blue Box doesn’t have a UPC barcode anywhere on it:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bill-Walsh-College-Football-Sega-Genesis-1993-Complete-/273933483976?hash=item3fc7b53fc8%3Ag%3A28wAAOSwKg9dLixI&nma=true&si=ATBpfGbxTuBxzBLicT53Yy2jvRU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

For EA Games, I think I saw no UPC code when they were for an international market. Odd indeed. Thoughts?

Captain America - those stickers were awful and came off so easily.  Its possible that there was a release with no pin, but I’d want to see a sealed copy without the sticker to add it to the spreadsheet

Test Drive II: The Duel - I’ve updated each of the entries. Funny, it looks like I don’t list the poster among the inserts. I need to find a picture of the poster and clean that up

Greendog - I have listed the one without the part number on the cart as the second release.  For Shining Force, it appears that part number was removed from a second release, so I mirrored the format for Greendog

Home Alone - same comment as Greendog

I got as far as Joe Montana II for now - @ViKiNg can you check the copy that you opened? You opened one of the Sega Classic copies, but did yours say 1209 or 1209C on the spine?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I haven't had much time to work on this stuff lately (there's still more of Tripredacus-Agent's list to go through and verify), but while sorting a box of games this weekend I found a few more variants not on either your matrix or his list:

Ariel the Little Mermaid has 2 clamshell variants:
Cart has no number, picture is wider, "Assembled in USA", Case rear has number 670-2668
Cart has number "670-2667", picture is narrower/mirrored, "Made in Japan", Case rear has number 671-2560

BMB4hnG.jpg

King's Bounty has 2 clamshell variants:
Cart label has orange text with gray background
Cart label has red/black text with pink background
Everything else looks identical

PkaCavs.jpg

NHL 96 has 2 clamshell variants:
Case has yellow "The best sports simulator ever" sticker
Case has no sticker
Everything else looks identical

fee9REX.jpg

Also, a Canadian variant of Streets of Rage 2 has been found:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@billybob884 I added the Little Mermaid and NHL 96 variants.

Check out the different top labels of the carts for Little Mermaid:

- Disney's Ariel the Little Mermaid

- Ariel Disney's Mermaid

@Ampplays I remember that Phantasy Star II variant from back in the SegaAge days! I've got it added now 😎 (and Streets of Rage 2 Canadian has been added also)

Edited by supergamboy

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2020 at 4:35 PM, MovieTom said:

Thank you SO MUCH! I've always wondered how those Wisdom Tree games were packaged. I have Exodus but it did not have any foam and I thought it was so weird that they wouldn't have anything in there so the box didn't crush. 

Sorry I don't have a pic handy right now but I have a CIB Exodus and it indeed has two separate piece of styrofoam exactly like this. It looks like garbage!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 2:26 AM, IchbinIan said:

Just found out that a lot of the info from SegaAge moved over here.  Very happy to see this info wasn't lost and this project has continued.  It was sad to see SegaAge go away :classic_sad: Hope everyone is doing alright and staying safe.

Glad to see you made it over! I'm not actively researching Genesis contents these days, but I try to make sure to update the spreadsheet with any feedback I receive here

On 7/4/2020 at 5:16 PM, rester said:

Are 2 variants of Captain America - 1 has a pin (sticker on cover) the other one doesn't? Or is there only one (with pin) and some items out there have no sticker and no pin?

We're not sure whether there was a non-pin release or not; the stickers fall off pretty easily, so its possible non-sticker copies just lost them over time. Need to see a sealed copy without a sticker to verify

Edited by billybob884
  • Like 1