IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

52 minutes ago, PapaStu said:

I think I posted this on NA years ago, to try and figure out what the under label is.  Someone figured out that it was the European version of Zorro, so it got relabeled for some reason.

DZsfMgg.jpg

I think it was @Hybrid who figured it out. There was more than one DS game like this.

18 hours ago, Retroseazzy said:

So I have a copy of tmnt 2 I found at the my lgs. Does anyone have any info about potential value or just how it came to be? 

If you can find the right buyer, $100-250. Possibly higher?

Refurbs? Factory errors? No definitive answer yet, just guesses from us collectors.

1 hour ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Refurbs? Factory errors? No definitive answer yet, just guesses from us collectors.

The market has been much hotter than that lately. I’ve heard from people for them selling for $4-500.

Just what I’ve heard, I got into some debate with an “Expert on NES” recently about the validity of a cart like this and the guy was telling me it was fake. Later on he amongst others started boasting of sales in that range 

On 8/15/2020 at 12:56 AM, PapaStu said:

I think I posted this on NA years ago, to try and figure out what the under label is.  Someone figured out that it was the European version of Zorro, so it got relabeled for some reason.

DZsfMgg.jpg

you wouldn't happen to have gotten that game out of or near Canada doing some further research into these two games 

1 hour ago, Hybrid said:

you wouldn't happen to have gotten that game out of or near Canada doing some further research into these two games 

Nope. I am about 95% certain that I got it from one of my SF Bay Area Half Priced Books somewhere around 2016 (it was used, that i'm 100% on). (the other 5% means it coulda come from MGC and that would have been 2017, but that wasn't the kind of stuff I was looking for when I was at that MGC so I don't think that I'd have picked that up to ferry home).  Sadly, no clue where the HPB got it from though.

I didn't actually grab it because of the label error and didn't notice it until later after it came home.

Edited by PapaStu

31 minutes ago, Hybrid said:

ok @PII @SilverspoonGaming @Retroseazzy and @PapaStu your items have been added if i missed anyone please let me know

i don't think i will be adding the daytime ridge racer or the three screw volleyball or the can soccer 

@hybrid - not sure mine have been updated. I messaged you a few weeks ago. If you get around to it I would appreciate it, thank you.

On 8/16/2020 at 8:13 AM, Ferris Bueller said:

None of them having back labels is odd. Then again, why just a bunch of copies of Konami/ultra games? I don't ever see missing back labels on any others... Maybe they're out there though

Edited by 3rdStrongestMole

Found a curiosity I could use y'all's help in figuring out.  I have 3 Gyromite 3 screws, two of them have "Made in Japan" and security screws, and the third has no "Made in Japan" and flathead screws.  The chip dates of the third one fall in between the first two, and there is evidence that the odd one might have had a label transplant.  So the signs are pointing toward it being a refurb, but I was wondering if anybody else has a Gyromite 3 screw with no Made in Japan and flathead screws.

Interestingly, there is one with no Made in Japan on eBay right now, but the pictures don't show the screws.

Edited by wyansas

On 8/23/2020 at 12:07 AM, wyansas said:

Found a curiosity I could use y'all's help in figuring out.  I have 3 Gyromite 3 screws, two of them have "Made in Japan" and security screws, and the third has no "Made in Japan" and flathead screws.  The chip dates of the third one fall in between the first two, and there is evidence that the odd one might have had a label transplant.  So the signs are pointing toward it being a refurb, but I was wondering if anybody else has a Gyromite 3 screw with no Made in Japan and flathead screws.

Interestingly, there is one with no Made in Japan on eBay right now, but the pictures don't show the screws.

The flathead screw were continued to be used until stock had depleted. The chip dates are not related to the date they were mounted to the board.  Those chips are bought in bulk and also used until they are gone. 

There were many fab locations where these games where burned in to the chips and assembled and they worked on order making whatever game that the corporation needed more of, usually in 25000 unit lots.  This is represented by the quality stamp on the back 01-20... something.  After Konami was given permission to assemble their own carts they printed a 24 on their label instead of a stamp.

This game was probably not a refurb since they would have replaced the screws with security screws.  More than likely it was just made during that transition period where nintendo went to the 3 screw clamshell and security screws, (as with all 3 screw gyromites). Not many carts were made after that let alone refurbed.

On 8/15/2020 at 1:29 PM, Retroseazzy said:

So I have a copy of tmnt 2 I found at the my lgs. Does anyone have any info about potential value or just how it came to be?

So, the same thing is going on here.  After Konami received the right to assemble their own carts, the also were required to do their own refurbs. The extra stock for the 5 screw clam shells were used for this since they no longer fit inside the automated machine assembly lines which had now be refactored to used the three screw carts. But Konami, having not yet devised a way to "stamp" the back lable to denote a quality code, also Konami refurbs not being covered by the nintendo seal of quality anymore (or actually only for the moment since they were later allowed to use a printed quality mark later), left the back label off to denote that it was a Konami refurb.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stormarov.45 said:

The flathead screw were continued to be used until stock had depleted. The chip dates are not related to the date they were mounted to the board.  Those chips are bought in bulk and also used until they are gone. 

There were many fab locations where these games where burned in to the chips and assembled and they worked on order making whatever game that the corporation needed more of, usually in 25000 unit lots.  This is represented by the quality stamp on the back 01-20... something.  After Konami was given permission to assemble their own carts they printed a 24 on their label instead of a stamp.

This game was probably not a refurb since they would have replaced the screws with security screws.  More than likely it was just made during that transition period where nintendo went to the 3 screw clamshell and security screws, (as with all 3 screw gyromites). Not many carts were made after that let alone refurbed.

So, the same thing is going on here.  After Konami received the right to assemble their own carts, the also were required to do their own refurbs. The extra stock for the 5 screw clam shells were used for this since they no longer fit inside the automated machine assembly lines which had now be refactored to used the three screw carts. But Konami, having not yet devised a way to "stamp" the back lable to denote a quality code, also Konami refurbs not being covered by the nintendo seal of quality anymore (or actually only for the moment since they were later allowed to use a printed quality mark later), left the back label off to denote that it was a Konami refurb.

Interesting theory. I imagine all these refurb places having different stock/inventory of piece parts available. So some may have used original screws that came with the game, some maybe replaced them all with security screws etc. I don't think Konami would purposely leave off the caution label on backs of their refurbs, unless they were trying to figure out a way to determine that they had already seen that refurb game in the past or something. I think it might be more likely that Konami marketing wanted some copies of games that were all 5 screw sleek for their ads or something or perhaps they were trade show games for display so they could identify them if they were taken or walked away etc.

For the gyromite, I wonder if someone "made" one to try and get more money on ebay etc,

10 minutes ago, wyansas said:

So if Stormarov's theory is right, and I think it probably is, would that mean that there are late generation Konami refurb 3 screws out there without a back label that were made after they ran out of 5 screw shells?

I was just thinking along the same lines.  IIRC the latest Konami/Ultra releases to have known 5-Screw copies, are all games released no later than 1991.  If this theory is correct it would stand to reason that the remaining Konami/Ultra games from 1992 - 1994 that have no known 5-Screw copies should have some 3-screw copies floating around out there with missing back labels.

2 hours ago, PII said:

I was just thinking along the same lines.  IIRC the latest Konami/Ultra releases to have known 5-Screw copies, are all games released no later than 1991.  If this theory is correct it would stand to reason that the remaining Konami/Ultra games from 1992 - 1994 that have no known 5-Screw copies should have some 3-screw copies floating around out there with missing back labels.

taking a list of ultra games to start and cross referencing it to both rare variant lists and adding the known Konami games there were no games released  in 1992 like that but even more interesting is i found  two which done have any known yet

Contra (February 1988)
R.C. Pro Am (March 1988)
Metal Gear (June 1988)
Jakal (September 1988)
Castlevania II (December 1, 1988)
Skate or Die! (December 1988)
Q*bert (February 1989)
Bayou Billy (June 1989)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (June 1989)
Track and Field II(June 1989)
Defender of the Crown (July 1989; developed by Beam Software)
Silent Service (December 1989; developed by Rare)
Kings of the Beach (January 1990)
Super C (April, 1990)
Snake's Revenge (April 1990)
Castlevania III( September 1, 1990)
Mission: Impossible (September 1990)
RollerGames (September 1990)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (December 1990)
Where in Time is Carmen Santiago (1991)
Bill elliot (1991)
Ski or Die (February 1991)
Base Wars (June 1991)
Tiny Toons Adventures (December 1991)

*Gyruss (February 1989)
*Pirates! (October 1991; developed by Rare)