Jump to content
IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition


Recommended Posts

So the seals changed in this order: Circle Seal, then Trade Mark Seal (  ), the Registered Trade Mark Seal ( ® ).

As the law changed to allow for better trademarking rights over the few transitional years Nintendo upgraded their seal with marks as well.  Most original games had all three in this order. But the timing of the seal change was based sometimes on the legality within the local production areas and remaining stock. These were unrelated to the 5 screw and three screw clam shells but most of the time the 5 screw clam shells ran out way before the seal change.

So there was a period that Donkey Kong was produced with both the trademark and registered seal so both are legit.

Newer games received only the Trademark and Registered seal and no circle seal version. The very latest games (92 or 93 on) only received a registered trademark seal.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok we are starting new I figured it would be easier to do so. I'll work on getting my Nintendo stuff up here as well as what others have. I don't know the character limit to posts, but I'll reserve tw

Hey there. I was on the NA variants list, so I'm back, so to speak.  Here's a stack of all the rare variants I have, the closeup on the N7s and US Gyromite, as well as individual pictures for the

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Stormarov.45 said:

So the seals changed in this order: Circle Seal, then Trade Mark Seal (  ), the Registered Trade Mark Seal ( ® ).

As the law changed to allow for better trademarking rights over the few transitional years Nintendo upgraded their seal with marks as well.  Most original games had all three in this order. But the timing of the seal change was based sometimes on the legality within the local production areas and remaining stock. These were unrelated to the 5 screw and three screw clam shells but most of the time the 5 screw clam shells ran out way before the seal change.

So there was a period that Donkey Kong was produced with both the trademark and registered seal so both are legit.

Newer games received only the Trademark and Registered seal and no circle seal version. The very latest games (92 or 93 on) only received a registered trademark seal.

I understand the progression, but games do not always have all the variants. Like you could have a game that was mostly circle seal and then stopped production until a re-release after they were only using the Oval Seal R.

That is why we were curious to poll the population to see if many other people had that 3 screw DK variant with the TM or if it was perhaps a refurb pieced together from perhaps someone sending in a broken cartridge etc.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Divingninja said:

I understand the progression, but games do not always have all the variants. Like you could have a game that was mostly circle seal and then stopped production until a re-release after they were only using the Oval Seal R.

That is why we were curious to poll the population to see if many other people had that 3 screw DK variant with the TM or if it was perhaps a refurb pieced together from perhaps someone sending in a broken cartridge etc.

Nicely put

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Divingninja said:

I understand the progression, but games do not always have all the variants. Like you could have a game that was mostly circle seal and then stopped production until a re-release after they were only using the Oval Seal R.

That is why we were curious to poll the population to see if many other people had that 3 screw DK variant with the TM or if it was perhaps a refurb pieced together from perhaps someone sending in a broken cartridge etc.

Also, some mismatch variants exist.

No oval seal Contra or World Games box, but plenty of cartridges.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Also, some mismatch variants exist.

No oval seal Contra or World Games box, but plenty of cartridges.

That parts just odd to me. The konami 5 screw refurbs make some sense, but the seals not matching is just weird. I'm guessing that's just the smallest overlap where factories switched fully over to those carts and then the box production side of things was still working with the old stuff? Or maybe they overproduced boxes in the beginning 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

That parts just odd to me. The konami 5 screw refurbs make some sense, but the seals not matching is just weird. I'm guessing that's just the smallest overlap where factories switched fully over to those carts and then the box production side of things was still working with the old stuff? Or maybe they overproduced boxes in the beginning 🤔

There’s tons of them though, even some black boxes like Balloon Fight.

They just straight up didnt change the seal on a ton of games.

Another example is California Games...TM oval seal box, but common (R) seal cart

Link to post
Share on other sites

My dk3 has an “r”.

I also figured I would take a picture of the small variant pile I have. Always looking for more if there’s spares laying around let me know. My second silent service is up for trade as well.

Added pictures of my Trojan with the rear upside down label for it to be listed by OP.

 

 

01258B66-304D-4442-8115-4F68842EC272.jpeg

BBDAD229-38CF-4445-BD0E-608AB9D2DA26.jpeg

368336A6-CBE5-402E-8FD2-08780C7FA6B7.jpeg

E92635FF-054A-431C-8569-6EAAE1E76D21.jpeg

3F6E3F38-9DF2-47F4-983D-94121BCAE336.jpeg

2AFA4B1C-45C6-4436-8594-D3755861602B.jpeg

Edited by Goodvibes
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

You know, I haven't seen anyone post this one yet.  Here is the Rad Racer Daytime Variant.

For this version of Rad Racer, the rare part of this variant isn't the cartridge, (although it is a 5 screw variant).  This is the first printing of Rad Racer and the back of the box had all daytime scenes from the game, (all from the same race course).  Also the user manual has the black box style, all black cover with stars and a simple title.  

Future version of this game included the more snappy night scenes from other courses in the game and a silver manual cover instead of black.

Front.thumb.jpg.939e4c9a730c9b0fe77637701f352eb9.jpgBack.thumb.jpg.81c1f13e66997813678dbbff427e6260.jpgContents.thumb.jpg.b318f0a756827ecc28ed5579b85339cd.jpg

4 sides.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Stormarov.45 said:

You know, I haven't seen anyone post this one yet.  Here is the Rad Racer Daytime Variant.

For this version of Rad Racer, the rare part of this variant isn't the cartridge, (although it is a 5 screw variant).  This is the first printing of Rad Racer and the back of the box had all daytime scenes from the game, (all from the same race course).  Also the user manual has the black box style, all black cover with stars and a simple title.  

Future version of this game included the more snappy night scenes from other courses in the game and a silver manual cover instead of black.

 

I think I've got some pics of this in the "what's new in your collection" thread from some time last year. This is a fun "variant" (actually first print, as you mentioned) just because the screenshots are so ridiculous. It looks like it's a game about flying and/or rolling cars.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I'd submit this with a brief commentary:  NA (Can) 3-Screw REV-A SOCCER

For a little comparison I've noticed that a 3-Screw (Can) Gyromite is considerably more rare than than a 5-Screw but really not too hard to come by compared to a (U.S.) 3-Screw Gyromite.

I've also noticed that a 3-Screw Volleyball is pretty rare but all in all not too difficult to lay hands on, (U.S. or Can)

In this case, I've never seen a U.S. release 3-Screw Soccer.  As far as I'm aware there aren't any known to exist.  

I've only seen this one once before.

3-Screw Rev-A Soccer.png

3-Screw Rev-A Soccer (Back).png

3-Screw REV-A Soccer (bottom).png

Edited by PII
Add Pic.
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I have some doubles from over the years that I'd love to trade for variants I don't have.

  • Donkey Kong Jr. (3 Screw)
  • TMNT (5 Screw)
  • Track and Field II (5 Screw)

Looking for the following. No joke, I think this is all I'm missing for an "complete" set:

  • Adventures of Bayou Billy (5 Screw)
  • Base Wars (5 Screw)
  • Castlevania II (5 Screw)
  • Castlevania III (5 Screw)
  • Defender of the Crown (5 Screw)
  • Jackal (5 Screw)
  • Mission Impossible (5 Screw)
  • Q*Bert (5 Screw)
  • R.C. Pro Am (5 Screw)
  • Rollergames (5 Screw)
  • Skate or Die (5 Screw)
  • Snake's Revenge (5 Screw)
  • Stadium Events (5 Screw) LOL
  • Tiny Toon Adventures (5 Screw)
  • Top Gun 2: The Second Mission (5 Screw)
Edited by Ferris Bueller
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

I think I have some doubles from over the years that I'd love to trade for variants I don't have.

  • Donkey Kong Jr. (3 Screw)
  • TMNT (5 Screw)
  • Track and Field II (5 Screw)

Looking for the following. No joke, I think this is all I'm missing for an "complete" set:

  • Adventures of Bayou Billy (5 Screw)
  • Base Wars (5 Screw)
  • Castlevania II (5 Screw)
  • Castlevania III (5 Screw)
  • Defender of the Crown (5 Screw)
  • Jackal (5 Screw)
  • Mission Impossible (5 Screw)
  • Q*Bert (5 Screw)
  • R.C. Pro Am (5 Screw)
  • Rollergames (5 Screw)
  • Skate or Die (5 Screw)
  • Snake's Revenge (5 Screw)
  • Stadium Events (5 Screw) LOL
  • Tiny Toon Adventures (5 Screw)
  • Top Gun 2: The Second Mission (5 Screw)

I need that DK Jr 3 screw please. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

I think I have some doubles from over the years that I'd love to trade for variants I don't have.

  • Donkey Kong Jr. (3 Screw)
  • TMNT (5 Screw)
  • Track and Field II (5 Screw)

Looking for the following. No joke, I think this is all I'm missing for an "complete" set:

  • Adventures of Bayou Billy (5 Screw)
  • Base Wars (5 Screw)
  • Castlevania II (5 Screw)
  • Castlevania III (5 Screw)
  • Defender of the Crown (5 Screw)
  • Jackal (5 Screw)
  • Mission Impossible (5 Screw)
  • Q*Bert (5 Screw)
  • R.C. Pro Am (5 Screw)
  • Rollergames (5 Screw)
  • Skate or Die (5 Screw)
  • Snake's Revenge (5 Screw)
  • Stadium Events (5 Screw) LOL
  • Tiny Toon Adventures (5 Screw)
  • Top Gun 2: The Second Mission (5 Screw)

Gah I still need a 3 screw DK JR, I have the box already for it 😢

Also to note a few above. I have a 3-screw -CAN version of soccer as well and a "day time screen" rad racer as well. Never figured they were noteworthy enough to mention too much tho ha ha. I know -CAN gets goofy with 3-screw stuff being more common so didnt put much thought in to soccer (and most folks only seem to care about -US variants anyways :P)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Welcome to VGS!

    Play, Make, Collect.

    Here at VGS all kinds of gamers are welcome, and that includes you!

    Join the conversation!

  • Similar Content

    • By JVOSS
      Sometime ago I saw on NA a list of all Game Boy Tetris Variants. I have not been able to find it here so I'm remaking here.  have no clue, who the OG Author was. If any one remembers let me know so I can give the credit to them.
       
      DMG-TRA                         Tetris (Japan)
      DMG-TRA                         Tetris Ver.1.0 “Minuet” (Japan)
      DMG-TR-ASI                    Tetris
      DMG-TR-AUS-1               Tetris
      DMG-TR-AUS                  Tetris
      DMG-TR-BZL-YEL           Tetris (Playtronic)Yellow
      DMG-TR-BZL-GRY          Tetris (Playtronic) Gray
      DMG-TR-CAN                 Tetris
      DMG-TR-CAN-1              Tetris
      DMG-TR-CAN-2             Tetris
      DMG-104-CHN               Tetris
      DMG-104-CHN-FCO      Tetris : Hong Kong Lable
      DMG-601-CHN               4-In-1: Nintendo :
      DMG-601-CHN-S           4-In-1: Nintendo : Code Wrong Side
      DMG-601-CHN-FCO      4-In-1: Nintendo : Hong Kong Lable
      DMG-TR-ESP                  Tetris
      DMG-TR-ESP-1               Tetris
      DMG-TR-EUR                  Tetris
      DMG-TR-FAH                  Tetris
      DMG-TR-FRG-1               Tetris
      DMG-TR-FRG                  Tetris
      DMG-TR-GPS                  Tetris
      DMG-TR-HKG                  Tetris
      DMG-TR-ITA                    Tetris
      DMG-TR-KOR                  Tetris
      DMG-TR-NOE                  Tetris
      DMG-TR-NOE-1               Tetris
      DMG-TR-ROC                  Tetris
      DMG-TR-SCN-1               Tetris
      DMG-TR-SCN                  Tetris
      DMG-TR-UKV-1               Tetris
      DMG-TR-UKV                  Tetris
      DMG-TR-USA-0              Tetris (No Dash)
      DMG-TR-USA-1               Tetris (Player's Choice, Rated KA wo/ PC Logo)
      DMG-TR-USA-2               Tetris (Player's Choice, Rated KA w/ PC Logo)
      DMG-TR-USA-0A            Tetris (Made in Japan Bottom Label)
      DMG-TR-USA                  Tetris (Made in Japan Left Side Label)
       
       
    • By Bomberman64
      Hi.  I'm currently almost finished with my N64 collection and am looking for the following variants to complete my set. If you have the following not struck out, PM and we can negotiate with trades and prices. Thank you for looking.
      Tarzan Big Box
      Shadowman Glasses Variant (Box only)
      Rampage 2 Big Box
      ECW Hardcore Revolution Best Buy Exc. Calling Card (100% CIB)
      Other Micro Machines Variant Box
      Gex Sticker Variant
      Rayman 2 Tattoo Variant
      Rayman 2 Sticker Variant
      Micro Machines No Car Box Variant
      Army Men Sarges Heroes Keychain Sealed
      NFL Blitz 2000 Mini Guide Sealed
      World Driver Championship T-Shirt Variant Sealed
      Rampage 2 T-Shirt Variant
      Mortal Kombat 4 Comic Book Variant
      Chopper Attack Dog Tag Variant
      Toy Story 2 Movie Ticket Variant
      Gauntlet Legends Figurine Variant
       
    • By NintendoCollector64
      I posted this in the Buying Forum, but wanted to also post here. Sorry if that's discouraged, but I'm pretty close to 100% completion on GC and N64 including variants, so I wanted to reach as many collectors as possible. If it's against the rules, I'll delete. I was encouraged to go to this site by a buddy because I've been out of luck with the collectors who I know have these items. There's a few titles that still escape me. I'm well aware of the worth of them, and won't lowball anyone if they genuinely have these items. I've provided pictures of all the items attached. I'm interesting in buying the following:
      GameCube
      Sonic Duo Pack - Sonic Heroes and Super Monkey Ball
      Cubix with Free DVD
      Shrek Extra Large with Free Watch - The watch was also available as an insert with Shrek Super Party on PS2 and Xbox.
      N64
      Chopper Attack with Dog Tags
      Rampage with Ralph Keychain
      Rampage with Curtis Keychain.
      You can follow me on Instagram to see my rare variants and collections for Switch, GC, and N64. 
      https://www.instagram.com/nintendocollector64/







    • By Bubbapauls
      I was digging through what’s left of NintendoAge and ran across an old thread started by @jonebone.  The thread was missing most of the pictures it had and was wondering if Jone or anybody here would happen to have some pictures of the listed items.
       
      Adventures of Mighty Max - Unconfirmed, maybe a VHS addon?
       
      Addams Family Values - VHS Tape
       
      Bomberman - Small Box (Non-Party Pack)
       
      Captain Novolin - Loaner Sleeve
       
      David Crane's Tennis - Footlocker Coupon
       
      Final Fight Guy - Black Version (Non retail?)
       
      Flintstones The Movie - Sealed w/ Movie
       
      Earthworm Jim 2 - Alternate Artwork (White Background, non-retail)
       
      Illusion of Gaia - T-Shirt Bundle
       
      Lethal Enforcers - Small Box
       
      Maximum Carnage - Big Box QVC Set
       
      Mechwarrior Gift Pack
       
      Metal Combat - Big Box w/ Light Gun
       
      Pac-Man Adventures - With Coupon
       
      Primal Rage - Trading Cards
       
      Spider-Man X-Men - Box Variant (CES?)
       
      Tony Meola's Soccer - Footlocker Coupon
       
      Turtles in Time - Farley's Snack Coupon
       
      Zombies Ate My Neighbors - Box Variant 
    • By Bubbapauls
      I thought I would share the different Super Mario World Cartridge Variants that I know about.  If anyone knows of any others or has better pictures of the reverse seal variant please let me know.
       
      SNS-MW-USA
      “Super Mario World” – One line
      Lock Notch Cartridge


       
      SNS-MW-USA-1
      “Super” First line
      “Mario World” Second line
      Lock Notch Cartridge


       
      SNS-MW-USA-1
      Reverse Seal Misprint
      Lock Notch Cartridge

       
      SNS-MW-USA-1
      Ramp Cartridge


       
      SNS-MW-USA-2
      Player’s Choice
      Ramp Cartridge
      E Rating


       
      *Difference between Lock Notch Cartridges and Ramp Cartridges.

×
×
  • Create New...